If only I could have seen the future... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue
Wiki Edits: 0

If only I could have seen the future...

Someone needs to invent a super hi-tech computer software program that analyzes a hotrodder and projects what his or her interests, needs, and desires will be at a specific time in the future.

If I had been plugged into this program I would have know that in the year 2007, as mush as I enjoy my current projects, I would trade all of them for a 32 lowboy with a DOHC modern EFI four-banger, etc. Maybe a big turbo, not decided on that one. Now comfortably in my forties, and with three-buck-a-gallon fuel, I would LOVE to have this vehicle! To me, this would be the ultimate toy. I would drive it every single sunny day I could, until the salt trucks hit the streets. If that wasn't enough, I'd move to Cali where I could drive it even more

Of course, I can sell at least one of my current projects and build it. I am seriously considering it, but it will take me a while to get one of them ready to sell (at not too much of a loss). I am now wondering if by the time I would get that done, I will want something completely different

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why not go Diesel?...........I have a 6.5 (6.2s younger brother)(planning on going twin turbo'd)that I am planning on putting in a 2wd shortbed 73-87 droping it and putting a t56 behind it still have enough power for some burnouts and fun but at decent milage

Shane

Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

your very right .... i understand why people do it , but i think it is a waste to build these great hot rods and stuff the 502 blower engine in them thats barely driveable. i watch these whillys come into cruise nights jerking and wheezing , knowing they are getting 5 to 7 mpg and some running race gas.i want a car to drive , my 99 GT show & pleasure car gets 22 mpg and i can drive it straight through to florida no problems.
my next project a 67 cougar will have a 4.6 police interceptor engine and get good gas milage and great driveablity.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
your very right .... i understand why people do it , but i think it is a waste to build these great hot rods and stuff the 502 blower engine in them thats barely driveable. i watch these whillys come into cruise nights jerking and wheezing , knowing they are getting 5 to 7 mpg and some running race gas.i want a car to drive , my 99 GT show & pleasure car gets 22 mpg and i can drive it straight through to florida no problems.
my next project a 67 cougar will have a 4.6 police interceptor engine and get good gas milage and great driveablity.
Interesting. I thought I was one of a few who figured out that a light weight hot rod doesn't need a 500HP gas gulper to be fast. And just how fast does a street car need to be, anyway?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
...And just how fast does a street car need to be, anyway?
That's where I am these days! Don't get me wrong, I am a diehard speed junkie, I just really enjoy real world driving. Even back when I saw every four lane highway as an opportunity for triple-digit speed runs, I also loved just being behind the wheel. These days, I drive a four-cylinder/manual daily, rarely ever break the speed limit, and hate to park it for the day.

I like my Camaro, but if I had known I would be "here" four years ago, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Or, if I had it would have just been to turn it over and put the money into a street rod. What I would have purchased four years ago is suspension parts, and the materials to build a frame. Even at a snail's pace, working on it in my spare time, I could have had a rolling chassis in a couple years.

Supposing my focus was clear, I would have done a lot of odd jobs and sold all my extra stuff and ordered a 'glass body two years ago. By this point the street rod should be about where my Camaro is - on the verge of hitting the street, cruises, and shows in primer but with lots of trick parts and tons of attitude. I think I would be busting at the seams to get it on the road. With the Camaro I say, a little too calmly, "I gotta get this thing on the road."

A big part of it is I know I am not going to enjoy buying over twice as much gas, so I won't drive it nearly as much as I would want to. Adding to that, I just have this incredible desire to be out in the open air! I want it so bad I have actually been tempted to build a full frame under it, and cut the roof off the Camaro. The only thing that saved it is I don't like the second-gen F-body styling without a roof. I actually saw a couple and didn't like it.

I just keep imagining getting fifty miles to the gallon, in a four-wheeled motorcycle! I think I would have to make the interior water-resistant because I am not sure I would leave it home, or take it home, if there wasn't the threat of something really nasty. When I road my motorcycles (something I really want back) I got to the point that I didn't care about a little rain. I just kept riding until I dried out

Finally, the last thing I need is another project but I happen to have some parts...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

two words: aerial atom

link
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

a cough honda cough i wouldnt mind owning the hondalac concept thingy is cool too
Shane
Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Wild....,
I follow you exactly. I've ridden in in some of the "beasts" and they really aren't a lot of fun. They go like crazy but you have to watch 360 all the time so the "long arm" doesn't grab you. And $6.50 a gallon at 5 mpg is pretty pricey most guys. Even if it is only cruise night. You can burn up $100 in a hurry. This is matched only by boats.

I have a Willys and it is set up for street even though it is Pro street. The motor is very reasonable. I even considered de-tuning it a bit for better drivability but it is a hot rod so I live with it. I have modern headlights on the way so you can see at night. Yeah the old style glass headlites were for 30-40 mph cars not todays driving.

I'm also considering switching to E-85 as it is readily available here and about $2.50 a gallon. Great premium gas.

I have front and rear sway bars and adjustable shocks and springs all around. It won't handle like a sports car but it will go around corners as well as any muscle car. It's got better brakes than most rods with 11 3/4 rotors and big calipers. Power assisted.

It only weighs 2600 # so 350 hp will rip the tires anytime I want.

It has a big enough radiator/fan so it can idle all day in 100 deg heat with the A/C running and not even get over 210.

It goes on and on. All for the short cruises and general street driving and uses reg gas..

As for the diesel. I have a 99 Dodge CTD dually 5spd. 4.10 gear. With the tuning box on performance it will roast all 4 rear tires easy. Better yet with everyday street driving I get 20 mpg. On the mpg setting I can get 23-24 highway. Towing 10K I still get 17-18. Today diesel is $0.30 less than gas so I'm having my cake and eating it too..

Last edited by bentwings; 07-20-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM

If only

How scary is this thread.A sign of the times?We.ve been struggling with expensive gas in England,and some diehards run 4 cylinder stuff.I completely understand why,but they still suffer the taunts of the HOTrod fraternity.The other dilemma of driving a balls out motor over here is they usually don.t like sitting in 2-3hour traffic jams which are common!!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamesvan
How scary is this thread.A sign of the times?We.ve been struggling with expensive gas in England,and some diehards run 4 cylinder stuff.I completely understand why,but they still suffer the taunts of the HOTrod fraternity.The other dilemma of driving a balls out motor over here is they usually don.t like sitting in 2-3hour traffic jams which are common!!
Times may be a changin'. As stated earlier, it's hard to beat the huge HP rumpity rump cammer cars for looks and appeal, but it just wouldn't be practical for me to own one. Intimidating in a race? No doubt, but how often do you race on the street? That answer should be NEVER. If it's seeing double duty as a track blaster, then I give all due credit to the owner/builder and wish him or her the best. Gas isn't getting any cheaper and I plan to cruise..... a lot. I just scored a great running '84 350SBC with the factory 4bbl. According to the factory stats, it was rated at 150/170HP. I'm seriously thinking of keeping it stock, at least for a while, to see how good the power to weight benefits are. If she scoots and makes me smile, I'll keep her stock.

It's too bad the guys in your country are getting razzed for using 4 bangers, but who's laughing in the end when the radiator goes sitting at a light or going through a construction zone? My boss is from Austria and he has told me it is very hard, if not impossible, to build a Hot Rod over there. Your friends should be greatful for what anybody can build and cruise.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I just saw this car in the flesh at the San Jose Gran Prix pretty interesting to say the least...

Brian

Wrightspeed (click here)

0-30 mph: 1.35 sec
0-60 mph: 3.07 sec in 117 ft
0-100 mph: 6.87 sec
0-100-0 mph 11.2 sec
Lateral g: 1.3
Braking g: 1.2

Oh yeah, the best part, it used NO gas, it's ELECTRIC!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

The batteries cost $40,000. It's going to be a while before they get cheap, but they are coming. In 30 years, I'll be telling stories of gas cars to the whipper snappers who are driving them.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM

I almost forgot about this thread! Since I started the thread, I started planning the car! I searched through my spare parts and came up with a combination I like, and it was on like Donkey Kong! I wanted to build something from scratch and since (in Ohio) you have to have receipts or titles to verify the origin of every single part on the car (or risk possible confiscation!) I decided to use the chassis and powertrain parts I have proof for.

I am stealing the narrowed Fiero front suspension I just started for my other street rod project. I want to do something more radical for it. I have the rear suspension for that Fiero as well, and the title to the car. For motivation, I have a 3100SFI/4T60E auto from a 93 Cutlass Supreme - that I also have the title from. I wanted a more traditional four-banger but, as mentioned, this setup gives me a quick hassle free route to a specialty registration. I can always swap later. The powertrain is going in the back.

Since the mid-engine/rear-drive layout, and the actual suspension parts are "Fiero" I decided to have a little fun with a theme and build a "1920's or 30's Pontiac Fiero". Some of the guys on the Fiero forum are helping me sort out the details, and as soon as I get the basic design down the building starts! Some of the more interesting facts are, the car will be a tandem two-seater, and will be a rat rod with a good bit of steampunk influence.

It's being designed and built with one main purpose in mind - racking up as many miles as possible, in spite of the ridiculous gas prices

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-30-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

lol i already was building my t bucket with a turbo 1.8 mazda..
and the arial atom is a absolute blast..they have gotten a few into the country.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

LOL Not to get on you, Todd. I love your work, but didn't you have a thread a few weeks ago about starting new projects and overloading yourself?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.