If they build them, will you buy them? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 07:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If they build them, will you buy them?

I was watching the news last night and they were talking about Gm and Ford and their 3rd quarter losses. Ford was 125 million and GM over 100 BILLION dollars. The feds are talking with them about "giving" them ANOTHER 25 BILLION dollars on top of the recent 25 BILLION dollars they have already received to "re-tool" to make more hybrids and fuel efficient cars. This, they say, is what they "need" to do.

My question is, who is going to buy these cars? Are you? Your neighbor? Me? Well, not me! I have two trucks and my wifes car, none of which is newer than 22 years! All run fine, look good and will keep going for many many more years. Gas and insurance are the only expenses. Fixes and maintance are cheap since I do it all myself.

Sure, they can build all the $40,000 hybrids they want, but when no one has any money or can't get financing, what is the purpose? Do they expect us to be "patriotic" and hock ourselves to the hill to buy a "green" car? It's just total insanity!!!

What little money I have i'm holding tight to. Being self employed, I can slow down anytime and get in trouble fast. My wife has a full time job but you never know. Sinking $40,000 on a midget car I can't drive is foolishness just to "help save the world" and save 40 bucks a week on gas!

Yea, we're screwed!

Whaddyathink?

Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Not me.........I can't afford anything new, could barely afford the 05 we bought this year. And, like you, I like a bigger vehicle......I feel safer sitting more than 8 inches off the ground.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I will not buy a hybrid car... the extra cost does not work for me since I drive mostly freeway miles. ALthough the freeways in metro Phoenix AZ move at slow speeds often.

IF the economy improves with lord O'bama elected... by 2010 we will look at a new small regular car. By that time our current 2006 Jetta will have about 100+ K miles on it.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Why would I buy a fuel efficent car now? Fuel here is $2.19 a gallon. The 71 Chevy is a happy cat for a little while. Now as to if I will ever buy a micro-green-sardene-can-car, no way. I'm 6'2" 220lbs. I don't fit, I feel like the air bag! LOL

The only thing I will spend a chunk of money on, is a 500 gallon fuel storage tank for the back yard.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

I bought a new Nissan truck in 1994. After the first major repair job I sold it and bought an '81 Dodge with a slant 6. To this day I haven't owned anything newer than a '91 and that was because it was a $500 junkyard econobox.

New cars are just not worth the expense for people like me that prefer to keep a vehicle for a decade or more.

Larry
Old 11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

I would consider an all electric car for my daily commute. I think pricing is still the issue, hybrids included.

Oh, and quit making them so damn fugly. Does it have to look like a clown car?

I've bought one new car in my life, still have it, going to keep it. Doubt if I will buy another brand new car.

That being said, I wonder how scary the electric used car market might be?

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM

My wife drives a 2001 Dakota with a 108,000 on it, and I drive a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel with 28,000 on it. We use about a tank of fuel a month each, I don't think I would take one of those ugly boxes if they gave it to me.

OLD HEMI
Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
I was watching the news last night and they were talking about Gm and Ford and their 3rd quarter losses. Ford was 125 million and GM over 100 BILLION dollars.
I just wanted to make a correction here. GM lost $4.2 Billion in the 3rd quarter.

Overall Ford says it has about $30 Billion on hand and GM says it has about $20 Billion on hand. GM also says they require a minimum of $12 Billion to cover operating expenses.

I think where GM really screwed up was in its redesign of its SUV and pickup line. They came out and said they were hoping their significantly improved models would help bring the company out of the hole. It just doesn't make sense, even after the 2005 hurricanes when the price of gas shot up GM was still counting on their truck line to bail them out. Low and behold, two years later we had $4.00/gas and even though that has subsided substantially we now have this current economic predicament. You can definitely count on more job losses too, Ford says it's going to cut 10% of its salaried workers in North America and cut 2600 hourly workers. I'd imagine there will be more and that GM will probably do the same. Piling more losses on top of the 240,000 jobs the US lost in October. However this time around it's not the US automakers taking the hit either, Toyota and Honda sales are off dramatically as well.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...utomakers.aspx

It's really too bad I'm not in the market for a pickup right now, I'm sure I could get a killer deal on one.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

''NOPE'' ''NOPE'' AND NOPE!!!!!!! Will not have one at my house!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Just how the hell does GM, Ford or any other company here expect to be able to sell ANYTHING when EVERYTHING has a "Made in China" label on it!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Just how the hell does GM, Ford or any other company here expect to be able to sell ANYTHING when EVERYTHING has a "Made in China" label on it!
A lot of people don't care where something comes from as long as it's cheap.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

this stuff goes real deep.. a buddys dad is a retired GM line worker with 30+ years service ... GM is trying to cut his medical insurance and retirement.

The dad has developed alzheimer disease and sure needs his medical insurance at this point.

the next year or 3 are gonna be dang interesting.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
A lot of people don't care where something comes from as long as it's cheap.
Yup, you said it '72. Everyone talks the talk but when they put their money down somehow it's another matter for the next guy to worry about.

About the Hyrbrids - so they run well for say 8 years, then the dealer tells you all 600 lbs of batteries have to be replaced. How much is that going to cost?

Personally I don't see a lot of market for such a vehicle once it's off warranty.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

They aren't practical for me, I have a 50 mile a day round trip commute, 70% of which is on rural two lane highways I have to share with 18 wheelers, farm equipment, SUV's and assorted a**holes and maniacs. I get spooked in my '96 Regal, no way would I take to the highway in one of those overgrown golf carts. Even if I could afford one.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

My last new car was a '81 Olds diesel, sold it in '98 to a friend and it had over 200,000 miles on it . Don't have anything now that dosen't have a least 150,000 on it .I would never buy a new car, especially when they now cost as much as my first house ! I got a ' 69 Olds with 175,000 miles , never been touched, '95 (bought used ) truck with 180,000 miles, ' 84 Jeep with 145,000 miles.... all with engines that have never been apart ........why would I buy a new one ?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.