If you could live (move) anywhere!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you could live (move) anywhere!!!!

If you could move anywhere (in the USA) where would you go and why. I have lived in Michigan all my life, and to be quit honest I am tired of it, the bad weather the short summers, the long winters, and for the last 2 years or better the Baaaaad economy. With all the car manufactures letting people go and closing plants down, things are getting pretty tight around here. The cost of living is way more than it should be. I watch the economy reports and Michigan is always at the bottom for economic food chain, and the unemployment is always on the top of the list. My wife and I have been talking about selling off everything (house and business) and moving somewhere else.

So that is my question where would you move?

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Move any where?

Steve

We all get in the mood you are in about wanting to throw in the towel and move , and I know what you are saying about Michigan , because we have all the same problems here in Indiana with the lack of good jobs and the weather . I suppose the first thing we think about is state with great weather, maybe Ariz or Fla or Calif. As for jobs that's another story, where are all the good jobs, most went over seas . You know what they say the grass always looks greener on the other side . So take a big breath and jump . You will make the right move .

FAT40
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

You're right about everything you said. I've been all over the country and I'm always glad to get home. I still prefer living in Michigan.
Bob
Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

After I retired [somewhat] in 2000, my wife and I did a little traveling, and went to Mexico a couple of times, all of a sudden we were thinking ?? why not move to Mexico,? cheap place to live, nice year around weather, and lots of junked out american vintage cars with the dingle balls just waiting to be revived,,, and in the area we thought about going ,, there was a rather large community of other Americans, Retired of course, so for a little while we were seriously considering the move, then REALITY stepped in and we realized that we would be leaving EVERYTHING we had worked for all our lives,, mainly our kids and grandkids, old friends, everything,, basicly starting all over again, and at my age I ain't really wanting to do that,, so reality told us that this wasn't something we needed to do to be happy,, we are very content right where we are at, and spend the majority of our time, with the family and friends that made us want to stay put,

Its true that the grass always looks greaner on the other side, but ON the other side , the grass has to be planted and nurished to be green,, that takes time, and there certainly isn't any guarantee that that grass is going to grow,,,
Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parten
Its true that the grass always looks greaner on the other side, but ON the other side , the grass has to be planted and nurished to be green,, that takes time, and there certainly isn't any guarantee that that grass is going to grow,,,
The grass here in Michigan is as brown as it can get, almost dead!!

You guys are right the grass looks greener on the other side, but if we all settled with what we have none of us would ever succeed. Nothing comes easy. Plus my question was where would you move, not why you would stay where you are.

Steve
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I know exactly what you mean Steve. Ive been planning on getting out of Wichita Falls for almost a year now. Im sick of this town, I grew up here and this town and the people in it are freakin nuts. I never knew a place with the people in it could have an identity crisis. This town is growing and people all act like its a big national city like new york. They keep puting up more and more businesses, but the city isn't big enough to support all of them, so alot of places go out of business!

I want to move to Rockport, TX. My dad has been doing business with some guys down there for a while now. The guy owns a machine shop and builds marine engines, cool thing is alot of the engines are the same ones everyone on this website is putting in their cars(olds rockets,sbc,bbc,etc)
And the weather down there is alot nicer year round. And its right on the gulf of mexico. So I can go fishing and surfing or whatever I want.
Then just a 30 min drive away, is Corpus Christi where all the city people stay. And from my experience last year on vacation, The girls down there are prettier and alot nicer since all the ones here in Wichita Falls are all stuck up their own butts.

Brad
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Many of my friends have moved away over the years. All are back except one.
They all seemed to agree on one thing. Things weren't any better there than here.
"Theres no place like home"
Bob
Old 03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Come to the #1 State in the United States!!

NEW YORK

#1 in highest taxes
#1 with most arrogant people (NYC)
#1 in Welfare Spending
#1 in unemplyment
#1 in Corrupt politicians, although we had to import the # 1 crook. (Hillary)
#1 in losing jobs
#1 in Worst weather (4 days of 100% sunshine per year- mostly cloudy/overcast)
#1 in worst property values (good thing, because we couldn't afford the taxes)
#1 at stealing money from working class to give to welfare leaches

Although we do rate at the bottom for somethings...
#50 in workboot sales
#50 in sunglasses sales
#50 Bright outlooks
#50 in Average bankbook amounts
Old 03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Well I don't think I will move to New York!

Steve
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

2 down/ 48 to go...
Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I'm thinking AZ or NM. house on a hill in the desert.
Nothing there but sand and cactus.....and my dune buggy.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C
Many of my friends have moved away over the years. All are back except one.
They all seemed to agree on one thing. Things weren't any better there than here.
"Theres no place like home"
Bob
===========================================

A lot of people are not real smart when they move to another state.
Saw that when we lived in FL (Ocala).
People would go to Fl on vacation every year to wally world and than to the beach. Can't beat it! What a great place to be, they would think.

When they moved down they would end up inland because most people cannot afford to live on the beach. Well like my dad always said if you live 30 minutes from the lake you might as well live 3 hours.

These people would move to the Ocala are because housing was cheap but the reason housing was cheap is because wages were half as much as the more expensive parts of the state. Rule of thumb they left in a year and went home.

Georgia is the same way, if you must work they only way you will make good money is in the Atlanta area, there are exceptions but its a difference of day and night between cities.

Michigan? I don't know about that move, it may be cold enough there I would have to buy my wife shoes???
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I lived in NY NYC it's the armpit of the nation like the Stones said "Go ahead bite the big apple ,dont mine the maggots!"

Barry I don't know how long its been since you've been back to Ocala & area Its getting as bad as Long Island!

Ocala/Marion County was voted The "all American City" I wonder how much they spent on those stupid signs on every road coming into the county?
It certainly wasent on the roads.

Marion county is the 3rd largest growing county in the USA.

The lowest paying in the state & 20 th in the nation but if you want to work there is tons of work here!

http://www.thevillages.com/

This place has scaled back & now they only build 500 new homes a month.
20 years ago it was a cow field!
now it has its own Zip code & everything a retires golfer could ever want.

I thought about starting a golf cart wrecker service for all the drunken old people that wreck their golf carts..
& yea they even have their own hospital looks like a 5 star hotel

I love this area make the people go back home! 1 hour ride to tons of places Daytona, Crystal River, Orlando ,Gainesville.
Its not all flat like South Florida there is rivers ,springs & tons of lakes winter is maybe 2 months with maybe a 1/2 dozen cold snaps

But since the Villages moved to town everything has gone through the roof I'll probably move within 100 miles of here but far away from what my wife calls "god's waiting room" the Villages.

R

PS some one send me a winning lotto ticket so I can move NOW!!!

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

You need to develop a checklist

___Likes Tornados

___Likes Hurricanes

___Likes Earthquakes

___Likes big bugs

___Like snakes and other slimy critters

If she checked any of the above, then move South. If she would rather face a snowstorm than an alligator, then stay put.

Just remember, NEVER move someplace that your vacation influenced. You gotta work there. Friends moved from Central NY to North Carolina. They were back within 4 months. Still crying ovr how much money they lost over it.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Rob,
We moved up here in 85, but all my family lives in Bradenton area so always stop by the old farm on way down. we were in Pedro and on our street there were 4 farms, now its hard to pick mine out!

Benaway,
We had a call on a Saturday (fire dept) because some guy fro NY saw a diamond back in the road and wanted to poke a stick at it.
Stopped the car in middle of two lane country road and grabbed an umbrella.
The family watched as he did not realize that the snake could strike 40% of his body length, He was 9 ft and bout 6" in girth.
Got him good. A trucker shot the snake. Should have shot------.

It was a shame as that was the biggest one I ever saw. Most were 3-5 feet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.