If you own a 1996 Ford F-150 read this - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you own a 1996 Ford F-150 read this

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ire_death.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/iow...ion=cnn_latest

Thing that bothers me is that Ford KNEW something was potentially wrong with that switch, since already 12 fires were linked to that switch in the same year truck. Ford claims they only recall vehicles if they see a defect trend pattern happening so AFTER there a trend evolved, and AFTER a few people died, then MAYBE they will recall the vehicles cheaper to replace a few burnt trucks and pay damage money rather than recalling all the vehicles I guess...

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Thats a ford for ya

Brad
Old 06-29-2005, 08:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hmm, my dad has a 95 F-150, I guess its good we keep it out on the street most of the time .
Old 06-30-2005, 04:59 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I'll play Devils Advocate in this one. For the few amount of fires compared to the overall amount of vehicles sold(218 complaints) with that switch,it is really a small number.Of course Ford can volantarily issue a recall,but manufacturers usually wait until the NHTSA makes a ruling into wheter the parts are defective on a broad scale.It is a tradgedy nonetheles that someone lost their life to a fire.But from the information gathered from both articles posted,the fire DID NOT originate in the truck but in the garage of the home itself.So the idea of FoMoCo being at fault is not a good argument. Even though the switches have been used in several year models offered by Ford,that does not necessarily mean anything either.Within those years,and I do not know they did this,but a part may be carried over into several models ,but a relay,or a resistor or extra fuses may have been installed inline with the part.This may not have happened,but with almost every new model truck we get at work,one of the games we play is see what has been changed,deleted,upgraded or stays the same. There are alot of parts that have been used for several years,but may now have a 60 Amp Maxi-Fuse inline with it.So too could be the case with Ford.If the investigation determines that the part was defective,and FoMoCo delibertaly covered it up,that by all means I hope he wins his case.But,if the outcome is the same as it appers to be right now,than that is what homeowners and auto insurance are for.Another hting is that if the NHTSA is backing Ford on this,thae part was probably not defective.They are there to keep the motor companies in check,and they usually bust their balls and do not side with them.

And to not make everyone think I am backing Ford 100% in this,I am going to inform my parents of this,they have a 02 Super Crew that is parked in an attached garage.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

they say if your cruse quits look out, i have a 95 E150 Van, mine quit, I Replaced the switch it was $28

Mustangsaly
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Quote:
According to the lawsuit, the cruise-control deactivation switch in the 1996 F-150 pickup is the likely cause of the fire. A Ford recall involving the switch affects 2000 model year F-150s but did not extend to other model years. The lawsuit alleges Ford deliberately limited the recall to save money.
that says it all right there Poor guy saw his garage on fire and runs in, he saw his wife trying to crawl out of the truck. He couldnt pull her out. So he ran and got his tractor to pull the whole truck out but it just wouldnt work for him. He had to quit since the fire would've eaten him up alive. Once the fire was put out they found his wife literally 2 steps from the doorway, she almost made it. All this 'cause Ford wanted to save money

Mike
Old 06-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

An inspection of the fire scene demonstrates conclusively that the fire did not originate from the 1996 Ford F-150, and specifically not from its speed-control deactivation switch," said Ford spokeswoman Kathleen Vokes in an e-mail to CNN. "Remnants of the switch were found at the scene by NHTSA and Ford investigators during their inspection. These remnants rule out the switch as the cause of the fire. Instead, the evidence suggests that the fire started elsewhere in the garage, spreading to the F-150 and the Mohlis home."

That is taken from the second article. I did not see anywhere in either article where the lady was in the truck when the fire occured.If that is the case,it may be a differnet story,or she could have pulled in to the garage and hit a fuel can,rupturing it and sending fuel vapors to an ignition source.Just assumptions,If they have found remnants of the switch,they can test them,if it was the root of the fire they can tell.If a switch overheats the burn pattern on it will be evident to the traind fire inspectors.If an accelerante started the fire from a situation like the one that I mentioned ,fire inspectors will be able to tell that.I watch alot of The Discovery Channel,therefore I am an Armchair Expert,in Forensic Science......

Send me a link to where it says she was in the truck Mike,I do not feel like searching for it.I am real lazy today
Old 06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Dont have a link, I saw the story on TV so I went on the net to find it. They had a special program devoted to this story last night. The Ford people say it didnt occur there, the other Fire inspectors said it did. The switch has constant electricity flowing through it, weather the car is shut of or not. They say this created a small fire, since the master cylinder is extremely close to it and the break fluid caught on fire. Thats what CNN said on TV last night.

Mike
Old 06-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

Until it all comes out,I would suggest just to be on the safe side,that owners of any Ford vehicle that may be subject to a future recall because of a possible defective switch,to pull the fuse that controls the cruise control system.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.