If you were a dome light why would you not work?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 09:11 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you were a dome light why would you not work??

OK no dome light.Fuse is good and bulb is new.Wires are attached and not corroded at the light.I tested for power at the light and nothing.But my test light may not have been grounded well.I will retest with a better ground.
Also I might add my radio memory is off the same fuse and it works fine.
Were should I start looking for a problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Check for voltage at the light. If there is no voltage you will have to start tracing back. Was the fuse previously blown? If so the voltage line to the light might be grounding. One common area is the screw holding the visor. If the fuse wasn't previously blown suspect an open wire, especially at any splices. Not sure if this is switched on power or the switch is on the ground side. Either way verify voltage and ground.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

dome light

Door switch
Headlight switch
Bad ground
Old 05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Dome lights

Doc Here,

Most Dome lights are wired hot at all times directly to the light socket...It uses a ground at the door post switches to turn the lamp on and off..

With a Voltmeter, check power at the Lamp. you should have 12 volts on one side of the socket. If not check the fuse, If it's good follow that wire forward to the socket, look for cuts or breaks.

With that side known, go to the other side with your meter set for ohms R x 1 or auto range, measure that side to ground, you should read 000 ohms to ground (any door open) If that's missing look for the (If were talking about a 78 monte) white wire, it runs from the socket to all door post switches and back to the headlight switch.The headlight switch provides ground in Dome light function in addition to the post switches.

If you don't get a dome light in either function, I'd suspect the ground between the lamp socket and the switches, If you have 12 volts present, as this is the only run that would disable both functions.

Let us know what you find

Doc
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Its the Dodge Shadow again breakin my balls.The monte is gone,now I'm building the Volvo PV in my photos.
Thanks
Sam
Old 05-03-2005, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Ok,I tested and I have a good ground.I hooked my test light to a positive and tested to the negative at the bulb.It lit and turned off when the door switchs were closed and when the light switch turned off.So thats OK.
I have no power to the light.BUT.........the fuse is good.And the radio memory runs off that fuse and is working.
So now what could be goin on??If the wire chaffed against a screw or something it would have shorted to ground and blew the fuse.
I really hate to have to take the headliner and dash half out to trace a stupid wire.Also they used friction tape to bundle the harness,so thats a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Power

Doc here,

Ok..now were getting somewhere..

If you have good functional tested grounds and switches..as you said, the problem lies in the Positive side of the line..

Do you have a timeout timer for Courtesy lights when you exit the vehicle? If so check that fuse and The TDR (time delay relay) for functionality.Not sure on a dodge, (if it even has one) and if so, if it controls power to the dome lamp circuit.

Isolate your wire coming from the dome light socket and locate it where it comes out on the left side of the dash or windshield post (usually the wire color will do the trick in finding the wire)

With your test light (you don't have an ohm meter do you? it would be easier..)
pull the fuse from the dome circuit, and ground the positive side of the circuit at the lamp holder.

Clip your test light to a 12 volt source, If it is a "Probe type" tester, carefully dig the end of the probe into the wire..until you have a good contact without tearing the wire in half..

Your light should light if the Circuit between the socket and where it exits at the windshield post or under the dash is intact...If it does...yur not outta the woods yet...pull the ground jumper at the socket, and the light SHOULD go away...If it does..your "All good" through the headliner at least...IF it DOES NOT..you have a ground short on that line you need to address..(pulling the headliner..)

If that is good..then the problem is Between the exit point at the windshield post and / or under the dash to it's source power..you need to follow and test that line with your test light until you lose power..or in this case find power..that point is where you will need to address the problem.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.