Hot Rod Forum banner

IFS for a 52 F-1 truck

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Buckeye Bob 
#1 ·
I have a 52 F-1 project truck that has been in my family since new. Looking for information on the best IFS to put in, cost, quality, ease of setup and durability. There seem to be options out there but no idea which are good. any comments would be helpful.

#2 ·
Jag it ?

Jaguar XJ 6 ifs and Irs swaps are very popular in the UK, Australia, New Zeland, , and a few guys here on Hotrodders have done them, We get the full Ifs, Irs for $ 100 to $125, each, we pull, Make sure the rear rotors are good, they are a pain to change. Google Jaguar suspension swap. there is a lot of info out there about swaps, the Ford truck forums, Hamb, and others.

#4 ·
suspensions

pro's... Most kits are designes for specific easy installations, some are bolt in 's... cons. Costs $$$. ....Jag swaps. some fabrications to install, requires making your brackets, calculationsfor your ride heights, and angle to set lower lower A arms, and fabrication of front shock upper mount. You need welding, cutting equipment.

#5 ·
As this is my first project i may then want to look at a kit, time is hard for me to get, so I may have to trade off some cost for the time saving and the lack of specific tech knowledge. I have noticed as you say some are basic kits with multiple parts to weld on and some appear to be more of a one peice bolton or weld in installation. Part of my question would be which are more robust and would require less frequent alignments and which would be better for staying aligned if one were to hit pot holes etc. I have heard some are easily knocked out of alignment. Also as with most products some manufactures probably have better quality components. First hand knowledge would be helpful.

#6 ·
Just to show you what I did with my 51 F1......Keep in mind, this was 20 years ago and these kits were not available, that I knew of anyways.....I used a sub frame from a 76 Nova. I left the frame rails intact from the Nova, as I felt it added more strength and it incorporated the trans cross member etc. It worked well for me an I still am driving it.

#8 ·
You are correct in what you say, I am looking at putting in a GM 350 with most likely a 700R4 tranny, it's a "Connect and Cruise" package. I am taking out the blown 302 HO engine I put in it 30 years ago, quite the hack job when I was 17. I expect to lower it a bit. I need to put in a new rear end and will upgrade the suspension also. I will use disc in the front and most likely drum in the back, I am thinking of a firewall mount for the brake system as it will be easier for maintainence.. I would like power steering. I have been told that offsetting the engine to the pass side a bit is also helpfull.
I have read up on this a bit but am looking for people who really know and have actually done this before for some info, I am definately a newb at this. Any good advise will be much apprieciated.

#9 ·
Have you researched any companies that make an IFS specifically for your truck? That will be the best way (obviously) to allow you an easier installation.

As to pros/cons, and yes, I have installed many kits and custom front suspensions. Mustang II when stock, utilized a slotted hole on the upper inner control arm mount to allow for alignment. If the front end you are considering has an aluminum upper inner control arm shaft, those are more prone to slipping on large bumps and frequent re-alignment. Use a kit that utilizes a factory type steel upper inner shaft that is knurled where it contacts the upper spring perch, or better yet uses shims (I have modified some to allow this) instead of the slotted hole. Using factory Mustang II a-arms is fine, tubular isn't necessary, and using the strut off the lower control arm is fine as well.

The nice thing about Mustang II is that there are many upgrade parts available. Things like drop spindles, large brakes and air-ride are all easy upgrades. Heidt's has always been one of my favorites. Never had a problem with them. Fatman is good too, but very heavy and not as attactive to look at. There are many Mustang II kits out there, just be wary of units that have been narrowed or advertise modified geometry. When in doubt ask about how much bump steer they have in about 4" of suspension travel, 2" in bump and 2" in droop. If they don't know, or it is over about .050, move on.

There are other considerations, but this will get you started.

Regards,

Andy

#10 ·
Andy
Thanks for your input here, all ofthe peoplehere have given ideas and things to consider. This seems to be a freindly forum for us beginners.

I am looking at the Heidts Super Ride II right now as seems to be fairly beginner freindly so to speak and it has had fairly good reviews from what I've read so far. Is there much of an issue offsetting the engine an inch or so to the pass side. Also does anyone know a good stock rear end that will fit a 52 F-1. 8.8 or 9".

The more I look into this the more reading and question I come up with.

The Pear Dazed and confused

#11 ·
Dazzling isn't it!! LOL!!
You got the woulda' shoulda' coulda' blues!!
All the compomises and thoughts all swirling about in your head.
Been there many a time.
Hang in there!
Research! Research! Reaserch!!!
At least you have the internet and forums to ask questions on.

#12 ·
The Heidts Superide is a good front end, and I have installed several over the years. The one thing I like about the Mustang II is that with stock a-arms you have rubber bushings instead of urethane on the Superide. The rubber lasts much longer and doesn't require lubrication. They transmit less noise to the chassis too. Mustang II usually is a cheaper route to go. Heidts used to sell a Mustang II kit that wasn't finish ground to save a few bucks. That is the one I used most often.

Andy

#13 ·
Andy
Thanks for your input, I have been away for a week or so. The info I have gotten hear is helpful for sure.
As I go peal off another layer of this onion of a project it does seem to generate more questions and more things I had not thought of.

As I go I will be asking for more tips no dought. I will also start taking photos as I go, what I do right and what perhaps did not work well, this may not help but will probably give some of the more knowledgible posters a laugh or 2.

There is still about 2 ft of snow here now so it will be a bit before I can get at the truck, as the path to the shed has not been plowed this year.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.