ifs, hub to hub - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ifs, hub to hub

I am planning on IFS for my 36 Ford 5 wdw coupe but I also try and avoid spending $'s needlessly so I need some help. Do you folks buy the hub to hub kits or do you buy the cross member and then look for used a arms, etc. Thanks, Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have done it both ways as well as cut out and installed the OEM front end. Basically, since I tend to keep my rides and drive the wheels off them, I have decided that Hub to Hub is best for me in the long term.

The pair of 36's in my avtar both have kits under each. The PU was up dated with Fatmans components after about 100,000 miles with used/modified components. The coupe has an early Fatman's Stage 3 kit under it. I had a bolt failure on one of the tubular lower control arms because the early kits had 1/2" grade 5 bolts. It was upgraded to 5/8" grade 8 and has not been any problems since. We put an OEM front end under my Bud's 41 business coupe with all used parts. We have had to replace the R&P and up graded to 85 Monte Carlo Rotors/Calipers after going thru brake pads here in the mountains.

Trees
Old 04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Have you done this before?

My take on this is that if one has never gone through installing an IFS one is better off to get a complete kit from a good supplier as it is all there and all new..

If budget is a question then get the front off of a MII complete so you have all the pieces..Parting and piecing can get real spendy..

Sam
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Thanks, but now I have another question!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go for the Chassis eng cross member and check for a MII front suspension. Any particular years better than others? Dave
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

'74 to '78
Old 05-31-2006, 08:31 PM

Chassis Engineering Crossmember

I just installed a MII hub to hub kit with the 11" rotors form Chassis Engineering. I was very pleased with the quality of the parts and in the assistance I had received from them. It made a huge difference in the ride and handling of the car. I recommend that you get the complete kit rather than searching for used parts. Even though you could save money by getting used parts but you will have to replace ball joints etc but I think you save time and improve safety by buying new parts.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Engine/Trans Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Does anyone have a certain dealer you would recommend for price and reputation for the Chassis Engineering brand or TCI and others? I'm gonna put one under my 41 Chevy and have narrowed it down to those two. It's a wad of cash but that is one of the important things you don't try to cut corners on. Just as they say in real estate...location...location...location. In our world it's driveability.....driveability.....driveabilty. So we can safely go fast
Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM

Dealer for MII

I would recommend Chassis Engineering for your MII. I had just installed one into my 39 Chevy and the all of the pieces fit well, were very well made and the instructions were pretty good. This is the first time that I tried putting a MII in a car by myself but I have helped a friend in Ohio who has done it a number of times. I had spoken with the folks for months and also spoke with others but I was very pleased with how I was treated. I even asked some "stupid" questions just to see how I was treated and they were very patient and kind. I was never pressured to buy and they even recommended I take my time ask as many questions as I could think of before making the decision. I did have a problem with a rotor or caliber and they solved it and provided afew extra parts to make sure it was correct. They trusted me to send back the unused parts. You will find that it is much easier than you would think but I recommend that you pay attention ask alot of questions and take your time. Measure several times, fit all of the parts, then douple check your work. I was very pleased and proud of my work and the car sits well and drives very well. I'm going to add their rear end kit over the winter. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:07 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:

Dealer for MII

I just put a MII from TCI under my 41 Chevy and I am really pleased with the results and fairly pleased withe cost, to say nothing of the time and effort in running down parts and trying to put it together piecemeal.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.