IFS info wanted - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

IFS info wanted for '72 Ford Truck

Hello,
I have a '72 Ford F100 and want to upgrade the Front end to a IFS/Mustang II type unit and wanted any and all info that would help.

I talked with a local guy here and he said I can use a Mustang/Pinto front end and it would work fine as he's used this on alot of Trucks (none of my yr) and said he see's no reason it would not hold up.

I'll be using Alum. Inner Fenders and Fiberglass Hood to lighten the load up front.

I couldn't kind anything under the Search for 67-72 Ford F100's

Thanks in Advance,
Chris

Last edited by CobraF100; 05-06-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Try www.ford-trucks.com to get some more opinions and articles. I just did a quick search over there:

Mustang II IFS is doable

There is a company Fat Man Fabrications that apparently specializes in stuff like this

Several people suggested refit of a late 60s-early 70s Ford full size car suspension (in my opinion this is for the more advanced individual, unless you find a detailed how to).

If it was me I would buy a Mustang IFS kit from a reputable supplier that can provide some instructions and tech support. That will cost a few bucks but be less risky than inventing on the fly.

Enjoy, sounds like it will be a nice vehicle.

By the way, that site also has a detailed series of articles on IFS for pre-61 trucks..... a lot of the info will apply. Your truck had twin I beam instead of solid axle, that changed the frame some but not the concepts involved.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Search other brands

The install of a mustang IFS or for that matter other choices of IFShas been covered in other threads..

Actually ince you are into the job it is nt all that much different a task on any brand of truck to do that job..

try widening your search parameters..

OMT
Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the Reply's Guys.

I was also looking at a Chevy Type front end (Nova/Camaro) I can get the Front end off the car for $100.00 and have seen before just haven't been able to find it yet where someone else used a Nova front end and liked it.

Thanks for the Links and Heads Up on where to look...

Looks like I have alot more reading to do...

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
NOF (New Old Fart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraF100
Hello,
I have a '72 Ford F100 and want to upgrade the Front end to a IFS/Mustang II type unit and wanted any and all info that would help.

I talked with a local guy here and he said I can use a Mustang/Pinto front end and it would work fine as he's used this on alot of Trucks (none of my yr) and said he see's no reason it would not hold up.

I'll be using Alum. Inner Fenders and Fiberglass Hood to lighten the load up front.

I couldn't kind anything under the Search for 67-72 Ford F100's

Thanks in Advance,
Chris
I think you'll like that Mustang II front end. I bought a Mustang II front end kit from Heidt's Hot Rod Shop for my '25 Ford and have really been pleased with the handling and comfort. They had 2 widths, one was for a wider vehicle. They come with templates for marking and cutting to make sure you get the correct anti-dive angle and width of the top spring hats.

We also used an AMC Pacer front end under a '47 Chevy Pickup and it also works quite well.

Best of luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Sorry if I am a bit late on this thread but here is my input...
I have a 66 Ford Twin I Beam truck and I looked on ways to lower it, etc and see that everyone with these 60's-70's trucks use a Dodge Dakota front end. They say you can use a Mustang but I hear the Dodge Dakota are better. Now I am not sure WHY they are better or used more but I am guessing they came off a truck so can take more weight...
Look into this more, you may be able to find a dakota in a junk yard and cut that baby right off.
www.slick60s.org Go there and look up the info, they have a guy on there that did the switch with info, if you can't find it then either do a search or ask it again. May take a week to get some answers but eventually they will give you the best possible answer you will need.
Hope this helps!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.