IFS Install, 51 3100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 06:36 PM
51 3100

Last journal entry: Getting the degree
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

IFS Install, 51 3100

First, thanks to all for the info on the rear 4 link questions I had. It went in pretty well. Now I'm forward with the IFS and it's concerns. Someone sent pics of their measurements of the frame and it was 18 1/8" from the forward shackle pin hole back for the axle centerline (same as directions from one vender).
My concern here is on my truck, the front axle centerline was a little over an inch to the rear of that mark. Measuring 116" (wheelbase) forward of the back axle (which was about 1/4" off from what the factory manual says it should be) puts the front axle centerline about 1/4" forward of where my original axle was. Question is: should I go with the mark in the directions or with where my original centerline is?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 07:23 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Actually you should use the "book" centerline and move it back one inch to center the wheels in the fenderwell as the original dimensions are meant for the solid axle which "moved" under load. If you currently do not have the front end loaded then you will not be able to match the dimensions.

I would also suggest you tack everything into place and mount a wheel to ensure the position is where you want it.

Another place to look at someone who did this is Chuckthetruck.com. Lots of great information there for an IFS install among other things.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Hey, good luck on the project! Here is my two cents, for what it's worth. After dozens of chassis set-ups, on many different classic cars and trucks, WE have found that none are the same and none are perfect. which is a horrible thing to find out when you are a perfectionist , living in an imperfect world is sometimes hard to accept. First many frames are not square anymore,(if they ever were) the frame needs to be as close to square as possible before you start the installation of front and rear componants.(rack it if needed). Then we like to install the frontend first, it just makes sense. (since the chassis final square if done properly,will all be based on the frontend location usually the lower "A" arm ball joint) Anyway yes, do check the "wheel in the fender" measurement for your best fit before finalizing anything. And remember to do all this at "ride height". Dont get upset if your suspention installation instructions lead you to belive that your frame is perfect because it's probably not. then use plumb bobs and chalk lines to reflect your chassis to the ground for final squaring. I'm sure there are other ways to get the same results, and i'm sure there are a lot of rods out there going down the road, just a little bit sideways and don't know it.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
51 3100

Last journal entry: Getting the degree
Last photo:

Thanks, My frame is about an 1/8" out of square and is actually about 173 5/8" long. Going by what was said, the mark I have for my axle centerline before removing the axle is about an inch back from the factory mark. So that might be the spot, sence that mark is also 116" for the wheelbase as well. I will tack it in place and definately check the wheel center. That's what I did with the rear end. I guess I do things backwards because I did the rear first. It's a four link so I can square it up when the front is done. Thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.