IFS vs Dropped axel for 48 Merc coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM
maddog Pirkl

Wiki Edits: 0

IFS vs Dropped axel for 48 Merc coupe

Living here in Wisconsin we are about to slide into the winter so my thoughts wander to a new or updated suspension for my Merc for next year. I'm looking for input on the ride diffrences between the IFS and a dropped axle.

I can go a less expensive route and change out the original "I" beam axle I have on my car with CE "Easy rider front end kit"; BUT will this eliminate the teeth rattling I get every time I hit a bump in the road or cross over the railroad tracks; and will it improve the steering I have now because with the original steering box this mutha really requires some arm strong steering for it.

The steering can be fixed with a saginaw power steering box hooked to the cross steering but as I said before will I still have the same ride as before but with updated spring, shocks, and tube axle?

And as far as a IFS goes, it has a lot more $$$ attached to it but if that's the only way to get a decent ride maybe I need to look into it, and find out who has a kit for the Merc for it.

Thanks for the input guys, this site has helped me a lot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Dropped axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog48merc
Living here in Wisconsin we are about to slide into the winter so my thoughts wander to a new or updated suspension for my Merc for next year. I'm looking for input on the ride diffrences between the IFS and a dropped axle.

I can go a less expensive route and change out the original "I" beam axle I have on my car with CE "Easy rider front end kit"; BUT will this eliminate the teeth rattling I get every time I hit a bump in the road or cross over the railroad tracks; and will it improve the steering I have now because with the original steering box this mutha really requires some arm strong steering for it.

The steering can be fixed with a saginaw power steering box hooked to the cross steering but as I said before will I still have the same ride as before but with updated spring, shocks, and tube axle?

And as far as a IFS goes, it has a lot more $$$ attached to it but if that's the only way to get a decent ride maybe I need to look into it, and find out who has a kit for the Merc for it.

Thanks for the input guys, this site has helped me a lot.
I have a 46 Ford coupe, about the same as yours. I have a Mustang II under it and it rides great no bump steer. no rattles going over Railroad tracks. With that said, I had a 40 Ford 2dr, with a 4" dropped axle had everything rebuilt before putting it in. it rode pretty good, the biggest mistake I made was putting power steering on the cross steer. It was so touchy, it was like walking on egg shells. When I first stared driving it you had to be real careful, or you were all over the road. I did get used to it but I never really liked it. I think you give up a little ride with the straight axle and you will have a wee bit of bump steer. You will also corner better with the IFS.

Try and find someone with a 46 to 48, and ask if they will take you for a ride, most guys will be happy to show off there car.

Bob
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Also remember that there are good IFS units and some pretty chitty ones. There have been a number of threads on accidents due to bad workmanship, too thin gauge of material in the MII kit.....and really bad installation. There have also been several magazine articles on the proper and safe way to install the IFS.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Also remember that there are good IFS units and some pretty chitty ones. There have been a number of threads on accidents due to bad workmanship, too thin gauge of material in the MII kit.....and really bad installation. There have also been several magazine articles on the proper and safe way to install the IFS.
X2 on that.

Bob
Old 10-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I would go with a dropped axle and a better steering box.

About 10 years ago I had two 40 Ford coupes. One with a MustangII/Pinto IFS and the other with a dropped axle. I sold the one with the IFS and kept the dropped axle coupe. My dropped axle coupe drove better and was more enjoyable than the IFS coupe.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Beam Axles

Are good on Dirt tracks with drivers who have strong Kidneys ifs has it all over for ride bar none. that's why cars don't come from the factory with them any longer. beam axles are a Hot Rod vanity thing for looks as far as I am concerned. If I drive a HOT ROD I want my kidneys intact when I get out. (My opinion with 50 years expedience on these) Beam axles are all unsprung weight also another hindrance to handling and comfort.

Last edited by rsfyj; 10-29-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Forgot some points
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
maddog Pirkl

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going to do the simplest change out and that is get rid of the I-beam axle set up that is in it now and put in the CE "easy rider front end" kit.
Also going to add the saginaw steering box to the new set up; if the steering is still a problem I'll pull the manual box and replace it with a power unit later on. Everything looks like it can be a simple bolt in so this saves me having to pull the engine to put in a full blown IFS in the car.

The Merc has a late model chevy tilt column in it now and it's bolted to the old steering box; so the only thing I haven't figured out yet is if I will need to add any u-joints to the steeering once I bolt on the saginaw box.

My hope is that my brother in law and I can get this whole job done on a Saturday come next spring.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

IFS VS Dropped axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog48merc
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going to do the simplest change out and that is get rid of the I-beam axle set up that is in it now and put in the CE "easy rider front end" kit.
Also going to add the saginaw steering box to the new set up; if the steering is still a problem I'll pull the manual box and replace it with a power unit later on. Everything looks like it can be a simple bolt in so this saves me having to pull the engine to put in a full blown IFS in the car.

The Merc has a late model chevy tilt column in it now and it's bolted to the old steering box; so the only thing I haven't figured out yet is if I will need to add any u-joints to the steeering once I bolt on the saginaw box.

My hope is that my brother in law and I can get this whole job done on a Saturday come next spring.
Not to dash your hopes, but I would look at more that a Saturday for the job. When building these cars, it's the best laid plans of mice and men, Or if something is going to go wrong, it will. I'm not saying it can't be done, but 9 times out of 10 the little gremlins stick there ugly heads up.

All kidding aside you will need more time than that, one thing you don't want to hurry to get it done, but make it unsafe. That should always be on your mind when building these cars, and when you are changing the front end it is a big part of the car, you have to make sure it's straight and right. So I would plan on a few more days. Have fun, it's not a race.

Bob
Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 AM
maddog Pirkl

Bob,

Yeah I hear you about time you think it will take and what it actually takes to get it done. I remember when I built my first street rod back in the 80's; a '37 Chevy coupe; it took 3 long weekends to put on the corvair front suspension on the coupe; that was the trick way back then; mustang II front ends were just barely coming onto the scene then.

I've learned that in my hobbies; street rods and building and flying R/C planes that whenever you figure it should only take you an hour to do a task; it almost always takes twice that.
That's why I prefaced the statement with "my hope is".

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

look

here is a bit of inspiration! only a few hiccupps, speedway roller king pins grease fittings interfere with steering arms.nothing I cant build some spacers to fix.and sway bar end links seem a bit short.But I will wait to evaluate once all the weight is in and some spring settling takes place.and steering arm on pass that is double I am going to re drill and have my rack operate it from the top rather than bottom.
I have devided to do a rack system and will get you some pics once I have it ironed out.Sorry I didnt take any pics during assy. I had a limited time to work on it and got in a hurry.All in all without driving it I am pleased with the results.Now to finish steering and remove body for frame powder and body metal work.
The Following User Says Thank You to fordman67 For This Useful Post:
maddog48merc (04-10-2013)
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM
maddog Pirkl

fordman67; thanks for taking the time to take pictures and posting them; it looks great. Keep at it and be sure and let me know how the steering goes in for you.

Plans call for my front end to get done come spring. Looking forward to seeing how yours sits when it's done and of course your report on how it drives when going down the road.

mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.