Ignition Cylinder Locked Out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Chevy Member

Wiki Edits: 0

Ignition Cylinder Locked Out

I recently bought a 1977 chevy pickup that had been sitting up for a few years.( I had asked about the pickup several times throughout the years!) Now that I have it, I've been trying to go through it and get it going again. The question at hand involves the ignition cylinder lock, hence the title, but any who, the wheels are pointed straight forward and i can see no pressure on the steering equipment. I tried shaking the steering wheel, pulling the wheel hard to the left and the right, shaking the key in the ignition, and still it will not unlock? Is there anything else I can do or check to get it to unlock?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Keep doing what you are doing and when you get it unlocked change the lock cylinder.
Are you sure you have the right key?
You can also spray wd-40 or pb blaster into the slot for the key and that may help to free up the cylinder too.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_rios
I recently bought a 1977 chevy pickup that had been sitting up for a few years.( I had asked about the pickup several times throughout the years!) Now that I have it, I've been trying to go through it and get it going again. The question at hand involves the ignition cylinder lock, hence the title, but any who, the wheels are pointed straight forward and i can see no pressure on the steering equipment. I tried shaking the steering wheel, pulling the wheel hard to the left and the right, shaking the key in the ignition, and still it will not unlock? Is there anything else I can do or check to get it to unlock?
Are you sure that's the correct key? In any case, here's how you take the column apart to get the lock cylinder out. This website covers more disassembly than you need, so just stop at the step that removes the lock cylinder.

http://buickperformance.com/tiltstee...lumnwobble.htm
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Chevy Member

Yeah, just tried the wd40 and an oiling compound, neither worked. starting to think the key is the wrong one, any how going to change the lock cylinder. does the steering column need to be unlocked to do this or can i do it while it's locked?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Thieves just use a snatch tool to remove the key tumbler.

Remove the steering wheel and then look for the little tab on the end of the key tumbler. Depress the little tab and the key tumbler will come out.

I have many times removed the key tumbler with a body shop screw tool ( shown below )

I just screw the tool into the tumbler where the key goes and snatch the tumbler out. Then just push a NEW tumbler and key into the column.

Good to go.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_rios
Yeah, just tried the wd40 and an oiling compound, neither worked. starting to think the key is the wrong one, any how going to change the lock cylinder. does the steering column need to be unlocked to do this or can i do it while it's locked?
Go back and look at that link I posted. It has photos of how to do it. The column does not need to be unlocked.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
NUCKINFUTS MOTORSPORTS

Once You Remove The Cylinder Check To See If The Rack Broke. Seen This Alot........
Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

It is a hell of a lot easier if you can get the lock into the "ACC" position, but if not, pulling the steering wheel, etc. is about the best way. Popping the lock will also work, but the risk there is a sloppy fit for the replacement lock if the register for the lock gets dinged up using a slide hammer. But you might get lucky and not have a problem.

Through the years, I have saved hundreds of car keys. Many are the older, dash lock keys from the 'yard years, but I do have quite a few column lock keys, too. But before I do anything, I first go through them to see if I have a match good enough to rotate the lock to ACC for removal/replacement. When it works it is sweet!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.