Hot Rod Forum banner

Ignition Module

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
Can any one tell me what the module inside the Gm hei distributor does? Symtoms if goes bad or does it just go out competely? 350 in my Chevy truck (82 , 600 Holley) now running, and hesitating when you give it gas or take off. I replaced the carburetor , (used one) and now it is hard to start or crank and wont take the gas. Now process of elimination : Im going to replace plugs, module and I guess put back the carb that was on it before. What do you think?Thanks

#3 ·
ignition module

Poncho2; Thats what I was thinking too , since I kept blowing them out. The vehicle just wouldnt start up, but came to find out I had to change out the whole distributor before I solved the problem. So now I start driving my truck and it just is running like crap: changed about 3 carbs. out no difference, plugs no, started thinking that module was one I had tried in the jeep and I had put the one out of the truck in the jeep earlier to try to get it running. So I take the module out of the truck which is running badly and try it in the jeep and sure enough the jeep is running exactly like the truck did with the same module. Oh but now that all is fixed and running smooth I have a bigger problem... THe 350 jeep is running hot : been running perfect at 180; threw the fan belt and now is constantly pushing hot : boiling out . No steam out exhaust , no leaks except what is coming out the bottle. Has a Volvo radiator with bottle to put water in no cap on radiator so I cant see the flow?

#4 ·
module problems..

Hi..

Doc here:pimp:

The Ignition module can in fact cause bad running on it's way out...usually though as Poncho said...they are usually all or nothing at all situations...

What I have experienced in the past, before burn out they have a tendency to overheat, they are very heat sensitive...

When you install the new module, use lots of Silly~cone (silicone) Dielectric between the Module and the Advance plate, (but don't overdo it, to where the stuff splashes around the pickup) this will help prevent future overheat, burnout's...Check your harness plug wires for chafed and / or shorted wires ill fitting plug and it should be Like, All Good...

Doc:pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.