ignition problems. Newbie to the site. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ignition problems. Newbie to the site.

Hi there let me start by saying hi to all and from reading threads on the site i can tell there are some smart people on here. Now enough of the sucking up and on to my problem.

I took my 355 vortec and my B&M TH350 out of my 87 silverado and installed it in my 78 Trans Am, sounds easy enough right.....WRONG!

I have the engine in and I have ran it in the garage for about an hour and even drove it for 10 blocks(its winter here and i have alot of snow but we moved so thats why I drove it) and everything seems fine and then BAM outta the blue the damn thing wont start. I mean no cranking just a click.

I had the HEI dizzy in there and it would run but the problem was still there. So today I installed my msd 6AL and it was runnin fine, I even got a burnout in. Then after my buddy came over and I showed him my handy work and we ran the car for a bit we turned it off. I went to start the car when another buddy came over and it was dead.

I have done everything from return my new battery for a new one that was load tested before it left the store so I know it was a good battery. I checked my grounds all were fine. i traced the wire to the fuse block again all was fine. Checked and even replaced the NSS and again all was good. I checked the wiring at the starter and again all was good. The starter is getting 12v power.

My confusion incresses when for ****s and giggles I hooked a battery charger up ran it for 10mins on a 12v 6amp charge and it fired right up. Now I dont understand what could cause this to happen, it never happen when this set up was in my truck but it seems like my Trans Am just doesn't like the SBC in her.

One buddy is very persistant that I have a resisted wire but I don't see it, maybe because I dont know very much about wiring but I am trying to do my best.

Sorry about the long post and the rambling on, I tend to type as if I'm speaking to a person. Please any and all help would be awesome!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 AM

Double check your power wire. Make sure your key is in the off position and put a hot light on the wire. If it lights up, bad juju. that means there is a constant drain on your battery. the only time you want power to your coil is when you turn the key on. Let me know what you find and we can try to shoot this thing out.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Last photo:

Fj's on the money
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj's83chevy4X4
Double check your power wire. Make sure your key is in the off position and put a hot light on the wire. If it lights up, bad juju. that means there is a constant drain on your battery. the only time you want power to your coil is when you turn the key on. Let me know what you find and we can try to shoot this thing out.
Which power wire are you talking about exactly? I am heading out to the garage in a few and I will check any and all that gets suggested. Thanks for the replies too.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM

So I cut the 10G wire from the solinoid that runs thru to the ign and I hooked it up to my wire that runs to my MSD box for ign ad it turned over no problem. Well the only problem is that I didnt have to put the car in the start position, just the run position and it started right up. So to me the problem seems to be in my 10g wire from the firewall in. But after checking the wires and replacing the switches that have my NSS and back up lights on my b&m quick shifter with new ones I still am not having any luck with the car firing up under normal wiring conditions.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Whoa there nelly! you went too far too fast. You can't just cut and plug wires when your trying to figure these things out. One you could damage something another is you have to keep the constants, constant if you want to ever eliminate the variables.

1.) hook everything back up the way you had it.

2.) Take your test light and open the hood, and find a ground near your coil.

3.) Make sure your ignition is OFF, then check the wires at the coil. you should not be able to make that light light up. If you can then you have a constant drain on your batt. If not proceed.

4.) Turn the ignition to the RUN position, and check those same wires again. You should have power getting there with the key on.

If your power is good relative to the ignition switch then there is still a short somewhere. Try the same process with the wires at the solenoid switch on the starter. I am willing to bet that you have power at the coil with the ignition switch OFF, in which case you just need to find the right wire coming off the firewall to connect to your coil (one that is only hot when the key is turned on).

You can also check all your grounds on any wiring you've done recently.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

B&M shifter....... is there a couple switches under the cover of the shifter? Like a backup light and the Netural safety switch?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

I had the NSS switch wiggle out of adjustment once..... un bolt the switch and try and start it....... then try depressing the NSS and try it again. Mine was out of adj my as little as 1/16 of an inch. Found the sweet spot.... problem solved.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If it starts with a jump,y is junk or you either your battery is junk or you have a draw that is dragging the battery down. I would pull the battery have it charged and tested.
You can check for a draw by removing the negative battery terminal and putting an amp meeter between the post and the cable end to see if there is a draw.

Until you determine if the battery is good everything else is a waste of time.

Note: the distributor is not going to cause just a click and neither is the NSS. The jump proved the battery is weak, you just need to determine why. Did you check the connections at the battery?
It could be that simple

Chet
Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
B&M shifter....... is there a couple switches under the cover of the shifter? Like a backup light and the Netural safety switch?
yup there is, and I replaced them with new ones
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM

problem solved! thanks for the advise but unfortunatly my internet wouldnt connect in my garage today so I just recieved these ideas now lol.

Anyways the problem was not my battery the problem was that every wire under my hood that is for my starting system had like 4 splices in each wire, so i replace all the wiring from the back of the fuse block out and the problem is resolved. My headlights are even brighter haha.

I'm guessing that I was just losing enough volts thru those connections that would prevent the engine from starting.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
I had the NSS switch wiggle out of adjustment once..... un bolt the switch and try and start it....... then try depressing the NSS and try it again. Mine was out of adj my as little as 1/16 of an inch. Found the sweet spot.... problem solved.
yeah i wish it woulda been that easy lol.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.