Hot Rod Forum banner

ignition q's about coils/condensors

942 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 · (Edited)
My driver {Toyota pu w/22R} has ignition problems and very expensive ignition parts...w/o going into all the problems i'll just say that this ignition problem has turned a dependable everyday driver that gets 21 MPG and hauls most anything i need to move, into a ride that makes ya think about having your c-card w/ya incase something happens. So, that said, what i'd like to do is subsitute a 20R dist. in place of the 22r {has points/condensor & interchanges w/22R} this would allow me the peace-o-mind to take this pu anywhere again. The question is: the 22R comes w/a e-frame ignition coil{?-high tension lead to dist. comes out horizontally, mounts using a intragal frame w/4 bolt holes} that i'd like to continue to run because it looks stock and smog guys get excited w/they see non-stock stuff.....so, how do i match up the condensor w/the coil primary resistance? Or is this even necessary?..Can't find anything on the net so any help appreciated.
Thanks, Randy

#2 ·
I would get the condensor and coil that was supposed to go with the original application. You may need to adjust plug gap back to 35 or so as the non electronic setup probably does not have as much voltage as the electronic setup did.

Are you sure your issues are with the distributor and coil. You could be opening up a can of worms for yourself as a lot of ECMs rely on pulses from the ignition system to control the fuel pump and other things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.