Ignition Stuck; Key Won't Turn - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Steven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ignition Stuck; Key Won't Turn

I have a 81 GMC/Chevy column with tilt. The key got stuck in the ignition and it will not turn at all. I got a new ignition at auto zone but I have no idea how to replace it. I have been searching online for hours now and I have had no luck in finding a step by step guide to fixing this. I guess its a rare problem?

Anyway does anyone know how to replace this part?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I hope you tried to pull on the steering wheel in both directions HARD while trying to turn the key, right?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 PM

Apache Boy,
Go to the 2nd page of the Suspension - Brakes - Steering forum and see the post I had on "GM steering column issues". Some information there may help you a great deal.

Good luck.
David
Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Steven

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
I hope you tried to pull on the steering wheel in both directions HARD while trying to turn the key, right?
Lol yeah I did that. Once the key got stuck on the "on" position and i had to pull the power off the distributor I fought to get the ket back to the "off: position and tried everything I could.

Thanks HDGMARTIN!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

time it replace the switch assembly then

sounds like it was jut worn severely and when they get this way they eventually lock up on you.

sene it happen many times especially on the gm ones.

have to replace them commonly

the first sign of this is when the key will come out in any postion

have owned many old gm vehicles this way

dont need key when it is past lock position

common thing

take steering wheel off

remove turn sig switch assembly

remove key siwtch assembly

pretty easy to do on these old trucks and vans

i can do them in about 15 minutes now

because ive done over billions over the years literally..

ford ones never seem to need replaced

i cant even recall any that ive had to replace actually...

and ive owned lots of old ford trucks and stuff as well..

are on the dash until 80 though in those..

good luck
Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Steven

Last photo:

I got to the finishing step and I was not able to pull the old ignition out. The directions I found have pictures but they were smaller then the size of the screen on my cell phone. pretty useless. I am stuck though. Is there something I need to push on to release it or something i must hit with a hammer?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Try logging back into Autozone's website, and selecting your vehicle from your saved vehicles list (or add it to it).

Click on the "Repair Info" tab, then in the "Select Category" window ... select "Product and How To Info"

Click on "I" for ignition.
select "Ignition Switch" (I know ... but bear with me here.)

A generic picture of two different types of ignition switches will appear.
On the right side of the screen, you will see "Related Parts" along with a picture of the lock cylinder and keys. Clicking on that will display the instructions that you need. (See Below)

It sounds like you will need a steering wheel remover and a lock plate removal tool.
KD #3511 is the whole kit

KD #3509 (does air-bag equipped and the old stuff) or
KD #2411 (for the old school stuff only)

If you happen to have a harmonic balancer puller, you should be able to use that to pull the wheel instead. I've even seen guys beat on the steering shaft to get the wheel off, but I wouldn'r recommend it as you'll likely damage the threads ... then you've got BIG trouble.

Quote:
To remove the ignition lock:

CAUTION
You must remove the steering wheel when replacing the ignition lock. On vehicles with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, you must temporarily disable the SIR system and remove the inflator module when removing the steering wheel. Leaving the SIR system on could result in deployment of the air bag and possible personal injury.

•Disconnect the negative battery cable, and remove the steering wheel.
•Remove the bumper and the carrier snapring retainer from the steering shaft.
•Use a lock plate compressor screw tool to install the lock plate compressor screw in the upper steering shaft. To keep the shaft from telescoping, tighten it to 40 inch lbs.
•Using the lock plate compressor tool, install on the upper steering shaft, tighten it to depress the shaft lock. Remove the shaft lock retainer, the compressor tool and the steering shaft lock.
•Remove the turn signal canceling cam assembly. Put the turn signal switch in the "N" position and remove the upper bearing spring.
•Position the turn signal switch so the mounting screws can be removed through the holes in the switch and remove the turn signal lever.
•Remove the turn signal switch-to-steering column screws and lift the turn signal switch. Remove the wire protector and disconnect the turn signal switch connector.
•Use a terminal remover tool to disconnect the buzzer switch wires from the turn signal switch connector. Remove the buzzer switch assembly with needle-nose pliers.
•Place the lock cylinder in the ACC position, then remove the lock retaining screw and the lock cylinder set.
•To install the new cylinder lock, reverse the removal procedures.
•Tighten the lock retaining screw to 22 inch lbs., the turn signal switch screws to 59 inch lbs. and turn the turn signal lever screw to 53 inch lbs.
•As part of the final replacement procedures, check the operation of the switches and the steering column.

The steering wheel is splined to the steering column and held in place by a nut. Courtesy of General Motors Corporation - Service Operations.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM

I had to replace the lock cylinder on my '75 GMC for very similar problems.

Some hints:
- Steering wheel puller is usually not needed - just take the large nut off and pull on the wheel.
- You might get the lock plate retainer/clip off without the lock plate tool, but its extremely hard to get it back on during reassembly. I fabricated my own lock plate tool, but they are also sold in most parts stores.
- The cylinder in my '75 was held in with a spring loaded, flat pin. Once the other parts were out of the way, I put it in the ACC position (I think?), pushed in the pin, and just slid the cylinder out.

Bruce
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If you decide to pull on the steering wheel with both hands, be SURE to leave the wheel nut on about 3 threads. That way if the steering wheel pop's off you won't break-a-u-face !

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.