Ignition switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ignition switch

I just replaced my ignition switch with a cheap duralast switch. My problem is still existing. I have a write up in the tranny section with the exact problem that it is doing. My question is, is there a possibility that the switch was a bad switch? Has anyone ever ran into this, replacing a ignition switch and finding out it was bad?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I don't read the tranny section...... but there is always the possiblity of a bad new part. What's the issue?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

Switch Problem

Original switches in older cars are not made to handle increased loads,my '54 has A/C,electric fuel pump and electric fan and sound system it did not last long so I read this: Custom Cars Classic Hotrods Streetrods-Watsons StreetWorks and added the 70 AMP relay and additional relays to these accessories as well as the headlights which are now much brighter and since adding the relays have had zero problems.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Original switches in older cars are not made to handle increased loads,my '54 has A/C,electric fuel pump and electric fan and sound system it did not last long so I read this: Custom Cars Classic Hotrods Streetrods-Watsons StreetWorks and added the 70 AMP relay and additional relays to these accessories as well as the headlights which are now much brighter and since adding the relays have had zero problems.

So since the switch is not made to handle additional loads, do you think that by tapping into the two power wires on the switch for a remote/security system would cause the faulty codes
Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
I don't read the tranny section...... but there is always the possiblity of a bad new part. What's the issue?

Well, basically I'm throwing a few codes:

p0740- torque converter clutch circuit

p0785- shift/timing solenoid

p1860- solenoid circuit electrical

After I clear the codes they seem to keep pending. This doesn't happen constantly but at least once a day when I go to take off from a stopped position I have to have the pedal almost to the floor just to get it moving. It's seeming like when it does act up I'm missing 1st and OD. At this point I pull over and clear codes, even if there is none to clear, and then turn the truck on and off a few times. It seems to act normal again after that.

After doing some research I found someone having the same exact issue and throwing the same codes. He changed the ignition switch and it worked. It seemed to work for several other people as well.

I change the ignition switch and its still doing what it was doing, which is exactly how the people in my research were explaining it.

Do you think that the ignition switch that I put in was faulty? I can't really see there being anything wrong with the tranny because when its not acting up, it's working fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 AM

Last photo:

Sounds as if you have something back feeding into the tranny sircuit..... I'd disconnect anything you've added to the key-on circuit and see if your problem goes away. If it does then you need to find a different pwr source wire etc...... Don't know if this will fix your issue or not..... but if you relaced the switch and it has the same symptom and before....odds are the orig switch wasn't bad
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Sounds as if you have something back feeding into the tranny sircuit..... I'd disconnect anything you've added to the key-on circuit and see if your problem goes away. If it does then you need to find a different pwr source wire etc...... Don't know if this will fix your issue or not..... but if you relaced the switch and it has the same symptom and before....odds are the orig switch wasn't bad
X2 Instead of tapping into an existing circuit stop by NAPA and pickup a fuse holder the type that will accommodate 4-6 fuses and run a 8-10 gauge feed wire direct off the positive battery terminal.I like this style shown in the picture to add circuits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73820.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	67462  
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM

I think that I figured it out. I spoke with the crutchfield tech. today, the one who helped me install the remote start system. Seems that I missed a wire. Before he told me that there was no ignition 2 wire. Today he looked over the diagrams again for my truck and found that there is a ignition 2 wire (white). I asked if not hooked up, would it throw tranny codes and he said it would. So I hooked it up and so far so good.

Before I was either getting tranny codes on the "service engine light" or I was getting pending codes. After making the change I immediately checked for codes. There were none showing and none pending. I'm thinking that that did the trick. I hope at least.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear you got it figured out

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.