Ignition switch! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Ignition switch!

got to the yard after work and pick up my pick up off the side of the road after running outa gas in the morning on the way to work.. then went to drop off the car i borrowed for the day.. and got back in my pick up and key turned on and everything.. then that extra half inch u need to turn for the starter to ativate turned the whole switch.. i tried everything to turn it back or just to get it started to get it home.. lucky my truck is standard and i got a tow truck to give me a push! but my question is.. how hard is a switch to replace? gota tear apart the hole console right?? im out of a ride for the rest of the week till i can get this fixed.. i might just insure my beetle to get me to work at least.. is this gona be a big job? thanx got any help

PS truck is a 1979 chevy 3/4 tone 4x4

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

I don't know how "handy" you are, but it can be done! Start with a wheel puller to get the wheel off!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:38 PM

well if i can manage a motor swap on my own i think i can figure this one out... do u have any idea if the whole key/lock set up can be just pulled out? i got the new part today and looks pretty simple to put it
Old 11-20-2003, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Yea, the whole cylinder pulls out, but you have to remove the little "c" clip and turn sig. switch, and depress the little tab in the lower part of the switch, thru the housing, to release it!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:37 AM

I was having the same problem and was hoping someone could help me. My car wouldn't start for the same reason, the difference is that I already changed out the ignition lock cylinder with a brand spanking new one and it still won't turn.

I will give some extra info so that maybe someone will have a better clue. Ok here goes.

My car's key wouldn't turn over for a while until you would tilt the wheel down. Once you would tilt the wheel down, then it would start with no problem. This was a constant nuisance considering I needed to have my steering wheel up high to begin with, but I would deal with it; simply bring the wheel up after I would start the car, and bring it down to start the car after I had shut it off.

Finally it caught up to me and wouldn't start again and I had to have the car towed home. Now it has a fresh battery so I know that wasn't the problem. You can turn the key but it just won't start the car for anything in the world. I took the steering column almost totally apart looking for anything unusual but I have found nothing.

Someone help!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:48 PM

ok i got the whole steering column apart.. yes the C clip.. the turn signal switch, depressed the tab.. got that black thing out.. got out the screw that holds the ingition switch in... put the new one in and turned it with the same resutls.. so now i'm trying to get in behind the switch where it ativates the starter... must be a spring or gears that are worn out behind it?? but my problem now is that i can;'t get the column off.. i got sick of screwing around and cut the sgnal wires cuz i couldn't figure where it joins up.. needed a new signal switch anyhow.. anyways.. theres a long wire rod on the inside and top of the column... thoguht it wa sa wire and was gona cut it then butt it together after.. but it is a wire for sure.. and it goes striaght down into my dash.. along the top of the column.. so now im stuck... it is a 4 spd standard and has no linkage for gear selection as autos do.. any advice would be nice.. thanx
Old 11-22-2003, 03:07 PM

ok i figure if i can split the console apart i can get to the gears that need to be changed and done! BUT!! how do i split apart the console.. its not tilt.. and theres only the 2 pieces... closest to the steering wheel and down to thro the dash.. this is really bugging me and i need transpertation.. i got every screw out that i can see.. wuts the trick?? hammer time?!??!?! haha
Old 11-22-2003, 09:55 PM

Sounds like you have the same exact problem I'm having bro! Damn car won't start even after changing out the ignition lock cylinder. It's like WTF!
Old 11-23-2003, 12:27 PM

k buddy i figured it out!! if u pull out the cylinder key/lock and look in there.. at the top u will see gears.. theres gona be one round cam kinda gear wut your cylinder hooks up to.. but if u look above it theres a straight gear it runs on.. my gear was chewed up.. so when i got the ignition turned on it would just ride on the striped gears and not catch enough to start my truck.. so take a look at that first.. if thats not the problem.. im thinkin u need the actual starter switch.. and thats a b*itch to do.. its at the bottom of the column near the firewall but its on the top side of the column under your dash... i got lucky and just changed the that little gear.. let me no if its the gear.. i'll try to help ya thro this

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.