Hot Rod Forum banner

Ignition Switch Removal 56 Chevy Bel Air

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
Is there a trick to removing the ignition switch. I need to replace the electrical portion of my switch but can't get the span ring on the switch to unscrew all the way. It hits the key/switch and won't unscrew all the way. Is there a release pin for the key/lock assembly?

#2 ·
I haven't owned one in a long time, but doesn't it have a tiny hole on the face of the part that turns with the key? If yes, you need to put a paper clip or tinypunch in the hole to depress a locking pin. Then it allows you to turn it past acc'y and then that part comes off. You also need the key "in" to do this.

#3 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

IIRC, and it's been years, you insert a dental pick in the small hole in the lock tumbler, turn the lock to ACC, and the tumbler assembly will come out..

From there you SHOULD be able to remove the escutcheon rings. (IIRC :sweat: :pain: )

However , At my olde age..This requires thought..which sparks neuron active..which makes headaches...which makes for Excedrin Day number 254..(you know your gettin' olde, when you have to google your own address to get home from the local restraunt..)

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.