ignition switch wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Last journal entry: 36 hemi chevy
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ignition switch wiring

This may or may not be simple questions, but here goes. When the ignition switch is in the ACCESSORY position it supplies voltage to the fuse panel. When the ignition switch is in the ON or RUN position does the fuse panel still get power from the ACCESSORY? Also when the ignition switch is in the START position there is power from both the RUN and START positions, right? I'm trying to wire an 80's Camaro column, when I turn the key to the RUN or ON position I get power from both the ACCESSORY and Run positions. When I turn the key to START I should still get power from the Run position,right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivewindowcoupe
This may or may not be simple questions, but here goes. When the ignition switch is in the ACCESSORY position it supplies voltage to the fuse panel. When the ignition switch is in the ON or RUN position does the fuse panel still get power from the ACCESSORY?
Also when the ignition switch is in the START position there is power from both the RUN and START positions, right?
I'm trying to wire an 80's Camaro column, when I turn the key to the RUN or ON position I get power from both the ACCESSORY and Run positions. When I turn the key to START I should still get power from the Run position,right?
I usually don't deal with anything as new as an '80, but here is how most ignition switches work.

Terminals on switch:

Battery power
Accessory
Ignition
Start

Switch positions/functions:

Off = no power to Ign, Acc, or Start terminals
Accessory = Power to Acc terminal only.
Run = Power to Ign and Acc terminals.
Start = Power to Start and Ign terminals - some switches also turn the Acc terminal off while cranking while others leave it on.

Note: some ignition switches do turn the Ign terminal off while cranking. On vehicles with this style switch, there needs to be an alternate way to get power to the coil while cranking the engine. Typically, on these systems there is a wire from the starter solenoid that bypasses the ballast resistor and provides the coil with full voltage for a sharper spark while cranking.

Not sure on an '80 though. That's a late model as far as I'm concerned

Hope this answers your question.

Joe G.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

just a different way to say it

ACC=no power to the ign coil so you won't burn up the coil while you listen to the radio for 4 hours with the motor not running....

some fuses are batt direct/always hot (interior lights, clock)
some are only hot with the key at "on" or "acc" (heater fan, radio )
some can be either (brake lights or back up lights)

unscrew the fuse panel so you can look at the wiring on the back side,,easy to follow the "batt direct path" or "ign on/acc path" from the 2 power (likely #10 size) feed wires into the panel thru the fuses
Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: 36 hemi chevy
Last photo:

thanks gentlemen, I was wondering about double feeding the fuse panel with power coming from both the ACC and RUN when the the switch is in the RUN position but it looks like they feed different items in the fuse panel.

cheers
Bill

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.