Hot Rod Forum banner

What Igniton System Do you prefer? And Why? (specify in a post after voting)

• Stock HEI System

Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Stock Duraspark system

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other (And please specfy in a post, and why..)

Votes: 62 47.3%

Which Ignition System Do you Prefer? And Why?

41K views 73 replies 67 participants last post by  heyjude076 
#1 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Which Ignition System do you prefer and Why?

I thought this poll ought to be handy for "Shoppers" of New Ignition systems.

Lot's of Pro's and Cons out there, so let's get them in one spot to wade through the types to help folks decide.. :thumbup:

Please Qualify your answer, with :

"Used brand X for 15 years, and never had a failure"

OR:

"Used Brand X , was a nightmare Because, No instructions, never ran right, failed after install "... Ect...

Thanks!

Doc :pimp:

#2 ·
I like accel because it is cheap and reliable. A lot of people will prefer MSD and there are good, but there are others that will do just as good of a job for cheaper. All MSD means is multiple spark disscharge and is most noticeable at low rpm's. Because at high rpms it will become pretty much a singal spark anyways, it will keep the spark more stable though.

#3 ·
Well I too have used Accel ignitions but I had a problem at high RPM in my Mustang, I would start losing constant reliable spark. Switched over to MSD and never had a problem. I ran the MSD 6-al offroad ignition in my 91 F-150 with a 302 and 35" tires. Buried the engine underwater many times and my ignition never quit. I am currently putting an MSD ignition in my 69 Nova. for my daughter,(rev. chip set to 1800). So I would say my vote is MSD. Not much more expensive and more reliable than most. But opinions are like a#$holes,everybody has one. LOL.. :welcome:

#4 ·
circletrack62 said:
I like accel because it is cheap and reliable. A lot of people will prefer MSD and there are good, but there are others that will do just as good of a job for cheaper. All MSD means is multiple spark disscharge and is most noticeable at low rpm's. Because at high rpms it will become pretty much a singal spark anyways, it will keep the spark more stable though.
Accel products are tops in quality and were around long before MSD. I've never had an Accel part fail or taken one back claiming failure when in aftermarket sales.

I'm running the 300+ at the moment. One very important feature is the rev limit set by dip switches. It cuts the spark and not the fuel as in the Ford system does which can be a disaster using a poweradder.

Having said that, it is an add on for the stock HEI system as it uses the stock TFI type distributor and components.

#5 ·
In this order,

MSD for any forced compression engine, and any and all racing applications.

Small body HEI, as done by me, yes, very biased, from many years of hands on experience.

Modified large cap HEI, remove that junker epoxy coil from that cap, use an oil filled round coil somewhere away from that distributor.

Drop-in, Mallory Unilite, NOT their magnetic nightmare.

Stock points and aftermarket points setups.

I don't like most other systems, just plain junkers, like the used to be a really good setup Accel, made in the USA, to the available this minute Accel, now made in Taiwan. PerTronix, trash, Comp-U-Fire, Breakerless, no, thanks.

#6 ·
well, that's a loaded question for sure!!! for me, stock and lightly modified applications i like hei. reliable, easy to install, and parts readily available. high performance street, mallory, accel, msd. more of a brand preference than anything, i've had great luck with all of them. for racing, i've ran accel 300+ and think it's the way to go for all but the most extreme combos. mallory has been making ignitions for nearly 50 (i think it's 50, could be wrong though.......msd started in the 70's. by then, mallory was already old......)years before msd, and i still think they make a superior product. don't get me wrong, msd makes some good stuff, but alot of there ignitions are sold on "stuff". there have been ALOT of failures with their newer ignitions, and most of them (the higher end ones like the digital seven programable) have more features than the average racer will ever need. any way you go though, none are a bad choice. just make sure you shop around and get what you need. don't waste your money on one that has features you'll never use. some of the ones out there now need a laptop just to set up!!! btw, i'm going to msd on my new car buildup, not because i prefer them, but because the features they have i need........

#7 ·
I'm using an MSD BTM on the Nova, but had an Accel dual point (before electronic/magnetic was readily available for my car) on my '65 GTO. It was a good piece, but after about 500 miles it sheared the roll pin. It was hard to track down. It would idle OK considering the cam I had and would free rev fine. Put load on it and it completely fell apart. When I got it home and got a light on it the timing was all over the place and I figured it out.

#10 ·
Crane

I ran the CRANE XR700 points conversion and coil in a Autolite distributor and it went 10years with out a problem to pass 7000rpm.I only replaced it as I wanted a new distributor and a rev limiter so chose a Mallory distributor I got with a improved Unilite called E spark and Hyfire VIA, both untried but very good priced and digital too.

#11 · (Edited)
Good Idea Doc...

I use the MSD Pro Billet Tach Drive Distb on My 65 Vette with a ZZ502. I pulled the stock HEI only because it didn't have a tach drive. Now I know there is a GM HEI Tach drive available but at $400.00 and plus buckies I said no.

I went with the MSD ..$100.00 some dollars less. I have used the MSD before in another set up. It was verey reliable..never any problems. I also use the MSD 6al Box and Blaster Coil.

I would have rather had the GM HEI Tach drive...Maybe it's just that I like GM Hi Proformance Parts Stuff....but MSD is also a solid Brand..

I would recomend MSD ..Lots of them in use good factory support.. :)

#12 · (Edited)
Easy one

The best ever is the GM HEI .Best racing is a MSD modified HEI. I'm sure ;) the Ford and Mopar guys would agree LOL Also VNV I think you made the right choice not using the tack drive HEI I bet I rebuilt at least 50 of them . The shaft gear would strip and would sometimes make it difficult to pull it out with out hurting the bushings not to mention they are getting a little pricey

#13 ·
I like old points distributors because folks say I have no point. I can tell them I do. Plus you can find them almost anywhere. I bought a mallory dual point at a garage sale for 2.00. They adjust with a matchbook cover. You can diagnose them by watching them work. You can swipe the O.L. nail file and file on them and get another year out of them when they get wore out. I don't own anything that will rev high enough to get point bounce. Someday I'm gonna put the old unilite conversion that I bought at turlock in '94 or 95 in Old Yeller and see what all the fuss is about. It is so old it came in a vinyl covered hard case box with flocked padding inside. later,mikey

#15 ·
Not being a "Racy" guy anymore, a stock system works fine for me.....I have kept the points in my Pontiac, just so I can use my old dwell meter once in a while.........It does have the clear plastic cap on it though....looks cool at night..... :D

#16 ·
I might change my '67 Ford Falcon's 200 I6 over to a pertonix ignitior to get better timing, and efficency but not shure yet, keeping an extra set of points in the glove box does not bother me, and as for my '51 Chevy, stock ign all the way, because there is no other option than a $400 aftermarket MSD dizzy and, it only works with 12 volt, which I will not be converting to.

#17 ·
I like two types.

I like the GM HEI distributors, because you can readily drop them into an older GM car with no mods, and parts are cheap, and available.

I recently switched out the original vac advance to an adjustable vac advance and dropped in a newcoil in the mid-70's HEI unit that a PO had already put in my '72 Pontiac. Was a pretty easy upgrade.

My '69 Merc has an MSD 6A (no L) box and billet distributor. It worked great until the magnetic pickup failed. This pickup is essentially the same as the off-the-shelf Ford duraspark pickup. Was a trickier job to install. Other than that failure, the MSD has been working A-OK. The one thing I dont like about the MSD stuff- its all red. Although maybe black and some other colors are available now?

#22 ·
i've been doin pretty good for 10 years till recently with my original unilite. now i'm beginning to wonder. last thing i bought was the Mallory HEI with coil in cap for $159 from summit. cant beat the price as i was given a stock HEI w/o a cap and the coil/cap/cap cover were like $90 so for a lousey $70 i can get another new one. bummer is, gotta getta off-set hole air cleaner base so i could put a 14" cleaner on my carb! that was like another $50! :( plus i would have to replace my wires. but, found out i've been losing miles per gallon cause my unilite doesnt have a vac advance!

#23 ·
I've been using a Mallory Unilite 501 and Accel adjustable vacuum advance in a stock Delco distributor. This hooks up to a Crane Fireball Hi-6 CD box ( multiple spark ) with internal rev limiter. This combo works pretty well on the street and track for me. I shift at 5800 so the Unilite is OK. Some guys have told me the Unilite starts dropping out above 6000 but I haven't noticed it when going that high on occasion. The car starts on the first turn and idles without missing even after setting for weeks.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard

#24 ·
Oljoedog said:
I've been using a Mallory Unilite 501 and Accel adjustable vacuum advance in a stock Delco distributor. This hooks up to a Crane Fireball Hi-6 CD box ( multiple spark ) with internal rev limiter. This combo works pretty well on the street and track for me. I shift at 5800 so the Unilite is OK. Some guys have told me the Unilite starts dropping out above 6000 but I haven't noticed it when going that high on occasion. The car starts on the first turn and idles without missing even after setting for weeks.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard
The rev range is now inceased with the CDI wired in to the Unilite to about 8000rpm!
KiwiKarl

#25 ·
Good question lots of choices here, I have MSD on my hotrod , had a problem with the trigger, water caused it. The system preforms very well and that was the only glitch. However the truck I am building for the wife i have ordered the Crane Fireball system. Just to try something new. After getting the box and coil, the distributer is back ordered, I am jealous and am tempted to steal it for my ride , it is nicely built. The only thing I see that might not be liked by some is the wiring harness. It is large cause they use weather plugs (as factory) , one is advised not to shorten the wiring. So a little hide the wire game must be played, but well worth the effort

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.