Which Ignition System Do you Prefer? And Why? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What Igniton System Do you prefer? And Why? (specify in a post after voting)
Stock HEI System 60 45.80%
Stock Duraspark system 9 6.87%
Other (And please specfy in a post, and why..) 62 47.33%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I might change my '67 Ford Falcon's 200 I6 over to a pertonix ignitior to get better timing, and efficency but not shure yet, keeping an extra set of points in the glove box does not bother me, and as for my '51 Chevy, stock ign all the way, because there is no other option than a $400 aftermarket MSD dizzy and, it only works with 12 volt, which I will not be converting to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I like two types.

I like the GM HEI distributors, because you can readily drop them into an older GM car with no mods, and parts are cheap, and available.

I recently switched out the original vac advance to an adjustable vac advance and dropped in a newcoil in the mid-70's HEI unit that a PO had already put in my '72 Pontiac. Was a pretty easy upgrade.

My '69 Merc has an MSD 6A (no L) box and billet distributor. It worked great until the magnetic pickup failed. This pickup is essentially the same as the off-the-shelf Ford duraspark pickup. Was a trickier job to install. Other than that failure, the MSD has been working A-OK. The one thing I dont like about the MSD stuff- its all red. Although maybe black and some other colors are available now?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:50 AM

Ignition system

I like to keep things simple. HEI doesn't get much simpler. My only problem with HEI is space constraints. They tend to be big.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I have always had great luck with an HEI distributer, gutted with MSD ignition. Just recently changed distributor to a MSD pro-billet, small diameter. Very pleased so far. Never had any problems with the MSD boxes themselves, Yet.

Jason
Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Which ignition?

I prefer an ignition system that works! I also like a small-cap HEI, as they aren't as ugly. Although a dual-point Mallory is a joy to run when its set up properly (3 or 4 hours of swearing and tool hurling included for free!)
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:

I ran HEI with no problems, but changed over to an MSD 6AL with a Pro-Billet distributor.....mainly for the rev limiter function. I have had no problems in 3 years...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i've been doin pretty good for 10 years till recently with my original unilite. now i'm beginning to wonder. last thing i bought was the Mallory HEI with coil in cap for $159 from summit. cant beat the price as i was given a stock HEI w/o a cap and the coil/cap/cap cover were like $90 so for a lousey $70 i can get another new one. bummer is, gotta getta off-set hole air cleaner base so i could put a 14" cleaner on my carb! that was like another $50! plus i would have to replace my wires. but, found out i've been losing miles per gallon cause my unilite doesnt have a vac advance!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

I've been using a Mallory Unilite 501 and Accel adjustable vacuum advance in a stock Delco distributor. This hooks up to a Crane Fireball Hi-6 CD box ( multiple spark ) with internal rev limiter. This combo works pretty well on the street and track for me. I shift at 5800 so the Unilite is OK. Some guys have told me the Unilite starts dropping out above 6000 but I haven't noticed it when going that high on occasion. The car starts on the first turn and idles without missing even after setting for weeks.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard
Old 03-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oljoedog
I've been using a Mallory Unilite 501 and Accel adjustable vacuum advance in a stock Delco distributor. This hooks up to a Crane Fireball Hi-6 CD box ( multiple spark ) with internal rev limiter. This combo works pretty well on the street and track for me. I shift at 5800 so the Unilite is OK. Some guys have told me the Unilite starts dropping out above 6000 but I haven't noticed it when going that high on occasion. The car starts on the first turn and idles without missing even after setting for weeks.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard
The rev range is now inceased with the CDI wired in to the Unilite to about 8000rpm!
KiwiKarl
Old 04-14-2006, 07:05 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Good question lots of choices here, I have MSD on my hotrod , had a problem with the trigger, water caused it. The system preforms very well and that was the only glitch. However the truck I am building for the wife i have ordered the Crane Fireball system. Just to try something new. After getting the box and coil, the distributer is back ordered, I am jealous and am tempted to steal it for my ride , it is nicely built. The only thing I see that might not be liked by some is the wiring harness. It is large cause they use weather plugs (as factory) , one is advised not to shorten the wiring. So a little hide the wire game must be played, but well worth the effort
Old 04-14-2006, 07:29 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

MSD 8360 with a Blaster 3 coil. That's it. Idles great, doesn't miss on the top end, timing stays put. Has vacuum advance and I can play with the timing curve if I want. I've used two different electric tachs and not a problem. Simple and reliable.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Naturally, as I am FOMOCO biased ( ), I prefer the DURASPARK II upgrade as it is (like my women) cheap and easy. Replacement parts are readily available and the distributor is easily adjustable on centrifugal and vacuum advance. A TFI coil transplant makes it as hot as you need it (stock or street/race) (not full competition).

As for an older restoration where you do not want to see the harness and module, PERTRONIX II.

Last edited by poncho62; 04-24-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

i am all for billet distribtors. small reliable look good. get a magnetic pulse at the distribitor. you can adjust your ign curve with out opening your hood holley prostip annihilator ign sye, has 4 stages of retard ing. trans brake , line lock, almost every hting to control your whole car.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

I've been running a cheapy Accel HEI and coil with a Blue Streak cap and rotor for the last four years and I'm happy with it. They do tend to be big and can get real close to the fire wall. The way the wires come out of the stock cap looks a little funky but a crossfire cap can clean up that problem. Someday when I'm rich and good looking, I'll probably go MSD - for now, stock HEI works.

If I had a Ford I'd go with Duraspark. It's cheap and about as bullet proof as you can get.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

More Specific

Let me throw in a more soecific questuin. There are expensive, cheap, cheaper and cheapest distributors out there and they are name brands. In the middle of the road: Accel has the 59107, Mallory has one or two and MSD has the Street Fire. If you're on a budget and had $150 to buy one of these, witch one? And why? Are there better choices?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.