ignition time for sbc 350 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
well shoot..i guess i might have to buy a gauge and timing light ..i just wanted to get it close so i could get it checked at a shop..i just hate buying a tool to just use it once and maybe not use it again...

Why do you think youīll only use it once ?
If youīre going to be a hotrodder youīll need tools, then you wonīt have to go the shop to get it checked every time, soon itīll pay for itself.
Set the timing with the light, set the carb with the vac gauge.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

well im kinda stuck here at the house till my better half get back from work.. so i went out just to tinker with the dist. till i can get to the auto store to get a light and vac gauge.. this is what i did, i started the car and let it warm up then i loosend the bolt so i could turn the dist. i turned it counterclockwise till it started to idle a little faster and better.. i stoped there and turned the screw on the carb to idle it down were it wasnt idleing so hard and then i turned the dist just a little more till it was sitting there runing preaty smooth so i tighten the bolt down and went to take it for a drive and when i put the car in drive it would really idle rough , not smooth at all like it need to idle faster but when i turn the screw on the carb to get a better idle in drive it was idleing way to fast in park..i hope this explains the problem im having..
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

What carb have you got ?
The primary butterflies have to be open just a tad to expose the transfer slot.
Do that first then do the timing.
If itīs a Holly thisīll show you how to set the carb transfer slots.
Then get it to idle around 750rpm.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The idling rough in drive and too high in park, almost sounds like the transmission kick down cable needs to be adjusted. Do this by pushing in the tab on the cable end at the bracket (if it is horse shoe shaped with a flat metal tab with a hole in it) If it is a round shaped and all plastic you have to lift up on the oval plastic sleeve to unlock it. Push the center of the cable adjuster back into the housing. You will have to have someone push the gas pedal down to the floor, which will tension the cable correctly, then release the metal tab, or push back in the plastic sleeve. This adjustment effect's the internal transmission pressures greatly. In other words the transmission could be hydraulically lugging the engine down.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

LOOK HERE for info about a quick timing adjustment without a light (scroll down till you see my second post). You're close enough to determine #1 TDC by pulling the distributor cap and verifying the rotor is pointing at #1. This WORKS.

The idle problem you describe sounds like a vacuum leak, too lean of an idle mixture, or the timing is still too far retarded.

On a small block Chevy, turning the distributor clockwise retards and counter clockwise advances the timing.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

hey thanks for the reply..its raining here so i will try that in the morning.. but as far as idleing is concered ,i was reading about the 1406 model edelbrock 600cfm carb (which is what im runing) and it says they run lean from the factory so i called there tech support and the guy told me to change the needles to the 1455 in calibration kit i have and change the springs to the pink ones so i did that but i havent been able to start it and check it out becuz of the weather ..he also told me it could be my fuel perkulating..lol..i dont know nothing about that and i wouldnt know how to fix it ...any advice on that.....thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
What carb have you got ?
The primary butterflies have to be open just a tad to expose the transfer slot.
Do that first then do the timing.
If itīs a Holly thisīll show you how to set the carb transfer slots.
Then get it to idle around 750rpm.
its a edelbrock model 1406 600cfm carb
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
The idling rough in drive and too high in park, almost sounds like the transmission kick down cable needs to be adjusted. Do this by pushing in the tab on the cable end at the bracket (if it is horse shoe shaped with a flat metal tab with a hole in it) If it is a round shaped and all plastic you have to lift up on the oval plastic sleeve to unlock it. Push the center of the cable adjuster back into the housing. You will have to have someone push the gas pedal down to the floor, which will tension the cable correctly, then release the metal tab, or push back in the plastic sleeve. This adjustment effect's the internal transmission pressures greatly. In other words the transmission could be hydraulically lugging the engine down.
well that may well be the broblem and i will take a look at it in the morning...i went out tonight and bought a timing light , a vacuum gauge and a fuel presure gauge...lol...im gonna get this right if i have to beat the fenders off of it ....thanks guys for all your help and i,ll post back and let you all know how it went ...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 AM

Last photo:

YES! You can set it by ear just to drive it to the shop, if that's all your doing. If it gets jerky when you try and start it after it's warmed up, you have the timing too far advanced. Setting it retarded too much, it will run a bit rich, and that's only going to foul your plugs a bit.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
hello..i just bought a sbc 350 crate motor and its bone stock, i also bought a edelbrock 600 cfm carb. and a weiand stealth matching intake with a msd hei distributor.. now my question is, im at a point to where i need to time it so it will idle better and get the most out of the engine, can i time it by ear till it idles smooth and doesnt ping. i dont have a timing light and i,ve read on this forum about timing by ear but i would feel better about the job if i could get it to run and idle better so i could get it to a shop to have them time it better..im thinking the timing is close cause it will start every time but its a little harder to start when warmed up and it idles kinda rouph.. thanks for any advice for a 1st timer
well i was going to try my hand at the timing light i bought and also the vac gauge but sure enough it started raining and i didnt get to fool with it like i wanted but i did notice while i was warming the motor up that there was very little gas in the see through gas filter i have .. there was very little spurts of gas coming into it.. it seems to keep about a table spoon full of gas in the filter now it spurts a little more if i give it some gas but at idle it just shows about a table spoon of gas..i will check the fuel pump pressure as soon as the weather lets up but could this be my idleing problem all along..if this is not right then how would i fix it..it has a new fuel pump and filter, could this be fuel perculating...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

It could be a old and cracked piece if hose in the supply line either at the top of the fuel tank, or, the section of hose going to the fuel pump. Watch the hose going to the fuel pump to see if it is collapsing under suction. This is common when too long of a piece of hose has been installed.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

well i,ll pick up a fuel pump pressure gauge and check the hoses.. so the see through fuel filter should be showing about full.. is this correct......lol...looks like i got my hands full....thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Most of the time they are at least 3/4 full when mounted vertical, 1/3 when mounted horizontal.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

well i went out and made a mark on the damper so i could see it and mad a mark at the gauge at 10deg btdc, i unhooked the vac advance from the dist. that was hooked directly to the back hole of the manifold.. i pluged the port at the manifold, i set the timing and it started to idle a little better and i tighten up the bolt to hold the dist. i hooked the vac advance back to the manifold and it did idle a little fast so i idled it down at the carb till it sounded better.. then i hook my vac gauge to the carb to the port on the pas. side of the carb and no reading so i hooked it to driver side port and got a 15inhg on the vac gauge.. so i tryed to set the mixture screws to get it higher but couldnt get it to show higher so i left it.. i put the car in drive to take a test spin and sure enough it idled like sh@#t.. so i turned it off.. im at a loss...every thing is brand new.. i cant figure it out.. that little fuel filter dont show much gas in it when the car is warmed up and running about 35 to 45 mins. but when car is cold it shows about 3/4 full... i,ve read about puting a spacer between the carb to keep it cooler...i might try that next..
Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

i checked the fuel pressure and it reads about 2 1/2 psi...and its a new pump..go figure

Last edited by hddave1; 02-07-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.