Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - ignition timing
Thread: ignition timing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 01:38 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well it looks to me like you just confirmed my statement and you even copied it for us. "This "can" also include your vacuum advance". As you even stated, depending on how your system is set up the vacuum advance plays a big role in your engines total advance. I, as well as many others, use ported vacuum as a source for my timing advance. My Ford has no problem handling as much advance as both vacuum+mechanical can provide. Depending on how you hook up your advance, full or ported, obviously as you stated affects the engines total timing under different load conditions. So again I say your original statement that " The vacuum advance is NOT added to these figures" you are incorrect. You even posted this yourself here...
Quote:
This "can" also include your vacuum advance though, I like to describe it as "total timing plus vacuum advance".
and also from the same link...
Quote:
Now, when adding vacuum advance to the equation you would have the total (34 degrees) PLUS the additional vacuum advance.
PS. I wasn't looking for a major arguement here, I just wanted to make a point that you can't eliminate the vacuum advance function from the equation when setting up your timing.

Last edited by dmorris1200; 08-25-2003 at 01:45 PM.