Thread: ignition timing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 01:59 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco
Unfortunately; while you and I are debating what 'Total Timing' is, BAD502 would like to know what and how to set up his timing. I have stated what I feel is the correct way to do it. What do you have as a suggestion for him?
I never disagreed with how to set up his timing. I was just pointing out that he needs to understand the relationship between mechanical and vacuum advance and how it could affect his total timing. Also like you said, depending on how and what type of driving he is doing (street or strip) and how his vac. advance is hooked up, his total advance can change under conditions like passing someone on a highway. I know many guys that use as little base timing as possible with their vacuum advance on a ported source so they can pass a state inspection sniffer test (still required in many states). If base timing is too advanced emmission levels usually climb too high for state inspection laws. With a low base timing the mechanical and vacuum advance must then be tailored correctly. There are many different ways to set up an engines timing, I merely stated that you shouldn't eliminate your vacuum advance operation from the equation as it does play a role depending on how you are set up. As I said in my last post, I was not really looking for an arguement here.