Thread: ignition timing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 02:20 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave E Shank
I would like to chim in with a further question... my sbc 350 runs hot at idle in traffic, about 230 degrees. Local hot rod supplier is telling me the cure is to advance distributor until rattle and ping under load, back off a little and engine will run a lot cooler??? Have any of you seen this in action?. Right now I am running about 8 degrees BTDC. But this sounds so off the wall to me. Any comments would be appreciated.....THANKS....DAVE
This would probably make a good new thread Dave, may get more attention as a thread on it's own. This is one of those things where a few different approaches could be done. What your generally looking to do is to see if modifying your engines timing while idling will help your temp concern at idle. Changing base timing will do this, also if you're currently using a ported vacuum source for your vacuum advance you could try using manifold vacuum. Understand anytime you change something you're changing your engines timing characteristics (curve, total, etc.).