ignition timing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ignition timing?

I'm sure that this has been asked a billion times, but I can't find it.

I have a '79 camaro with a 350, an Accel Super Coil HEI ignition, edelbrock intake and carb, hedman hedders, and an Engle cam (.305 lift intake, .310 exhaust, lobe center 112, 216/226 duration at .050). It has a 4 speed manual behind it.

We're just buttoning up after the block and trans swap, and I'm wondering what I should aim for with the ignition timing. We've got a light, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be setting the timing at. I know that we can just set it straight up to get the car to start, but then what? It does have centrifugal and vacuum advance.

Chris

edit: by the way, the lift numbers on that cam are raw, for the cam itself. I've got 1.5 rockers, so I suppose that'd be .4575 and .465)

Advertisement

Last edited by chrisflock; 04-23-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 AM

Last journal entry: The '85 Monte Carlo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

We just got done with engine rebuilding at school. Most of us have small blocks and were running around 13 degrees advance. I'm sure you may want to adjust more after you drive it to get the maximum power out of the engine
Old 04-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Timing on SBC

Doc here,

OK , start with the basics...

#1 Compression, TDC, both Valves closed, Timing marks lined up. Your Distributer in the stock location will point to 5 or 7 O'clock...(or anywhere you chose to put it for Clearance.) Direction of rotation is right, Fire order 1~8~4~3~6~5~7~2...Plug Gap 40 to 45 Thousands, use good quality 8 or 8.5 mm spiral core wires..

Start and warm the car, set Curb idle for about 750...Vaccum should be a steady 17 to 20 in Hg (unless the cam is real lumpy) Remove and PLUG the advance line, and check your timing..your shooting for around 12 to 14 degrees static..about 32 to 36 total.

Once set, hook up the vacuum advance AND go back and check the idle, set it for 750 (manual) 950 (Automatic) Recheck your Vacuum for Steady (or as steady as the cam will allow) 17 to 20 in Hg..

Once you have that Drive the Car, under Various Driving conditions..from town driving to WOT...pull a BIG hill and LUG it, see if it pings...Watch your temperature Gauge throughout the drive. If it pings, or runs a bit hot..Reduce your advance..If it's Doggy...advance it a bit until you get the mix you are wanting.

If You are getting no ping or heat, and have issues with "Lazy" performance, the next step is carb tuning...Pull a plug and look to see if it is white (Fuel Starvation) or Black (excess Fuel) or Brownish (Good Mix). Go which ever way the plugs and performance dictates..

For Idle Jets, With it running & Warm, Be Sure the Choke has opened, turn them in CAREFULLY (they are brass, if you cinch them they will score at bottom out, and become useless) in until the Car stumbles or dies...

then back it out 6 half turns (easier to count) or 3 full turns, and restart the car..

Adjust SLOWLY (CW) first in, then out (CCW), Wait 5 to 10 Seconds after each adjustment for the engine to "Normalize". Continue until you achieve the highest idle..with no stumble or random exhaust "Pop" Do the same on the other jet, then work back and forth between the two...

TAKE YOUR TIME! this requires slow steady adjustments, with wait time in between to get optimum results. When you are satisfied, Go to the rear with the car running..What do you smell? SHOULD be nothing...No Fuel...

For the rest of the Carb adjustments, refer to your Eldebrock instruction sheet..

After that take it for a ride..It Should perform well if all has been set correctly, When you return, Pull 1 or 2 plugs..They Should be Brownish..not sooty black or white..If so repeat The above Carb steps.

That Should Get ya Rolling!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.