Ignition, timing, cam, lifters???????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2002, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Ignition, timing, cam, lifters????????

I just rebuilt a 350 chevy motor, 30 over 272 cam, blah blaha blah, who cares what i put into it right now, my question is, when i step on the pedal and try to spin my tires or get up to hiway speed my car jsut cuts out and ocerloads, what i my problem , ive tried variuous timtin spots, new distributar cap and rotor, new carb, what is going on here????? plz help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 09:44 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Check for a vacuum leak.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 PM

i did, no vacume leaks what so ever, a couple of people told me it isnt getting enough fuel in my top end but my power loss is from low to top, mainly very noticable in the top end but i cant even spin the camaros tires on loose gravel, anyways the plugs are turning black, this could be form not enough fuiel, also though. another person told me it is getting to much????????? im lost, ive tried almost everyhting.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Is your air/fuel set right???Is the float leval too high???Is the choke stuck shut or half way??

If the plugs are carbon fouled thats a rich condition.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:09 PM

yes choke is were it should be, air fuel, workinf on it. holley 600 cfm diff from old elderbroch.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

If its a holley pull out the site plug and check the floats levals.With it runnin look down the throught of the carb and see if its dribbling fuel out the squirters.If so try knocking on the float bowl to get the float unstuck.
Is this an old carb that could be leaking fuel down the intake overnight??Does it start hard after its sat overnight??
Old 11-14-2002, 02:27 PM

yes this is a new holley 600 cfm. it starts fine and runs great on idle, but when driving it acts as if it is advanceing to fast way way to soon. people say its getting to lil fuel, and to much i bought a new fuel pump will c if that works.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:28 PM

you're dumping way too much fuel down the cylinders. Rebuild that carb. Then check what it runs like. If problem isn't solved (which it should be) then work from their. Do one thing at a time!!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Did ya find anything today???
Old 11-15-2002, 02:31 PM

No not yet, ive been busy with school, which i am still in at the moment, after im out ill go down to the shop and check things, out, i am also unbolting a stock 275 hp 1973 454 BB that im goign to rebuild and posssiably trade engins out with the 350 later on down the road in my 1980 z-28 camaro, first thing is i need a tranny, to hold upto it. im going to check the valves also i was reading in the book and i found that maybe i have a valve over tightened and it isnt opening or closing all the way another issue is that my coil could be going bad. Ill let you guys know what happens, also any questions or anything, please ask and hints on what to do would be very appreciated. thanks
Old 11-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like you need to spend some time tuning your carb, in particular your accelerator pump shot and cam. Get a cam kit and start with the brown cam, then you may need to experiment with squirters until you get the right volume and duration for your combo. Since you hotrodded your engine it now has different requirements, don't automatically assume it needs more fuel. Many times it is the exact opposite. Knowing what to do to tune the carb properly is not something anyone can teach you over the internet, it is the result of many years of experiment and trial and error. A fine tuned nose and seeing that nice shot of grey smoke that denotes when you get the shot just right is what makes a good carb tuner, welcome to the journey.

Of course you need to ensure everything else basic is OK before you start tuning the carb or else you'll just be chasing your tail, compression, timing, adequete fuel delivery and a million other details have to be correct before the final act of carb tuning takes place.

First things first, learn to read sparkplugs and buy a decent illuminated magnifier to help you see the subtle details. Case in point, you will see the results of detonation (little aluminum balls adhering to the tip) long before you'll ever hear it. Consider this your stethoscope Doctor.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:21 PM

Thumbs down

Go back to basics sounds more like timing, is it points or electronic. Sounds like the distributor is out by one tooth putting the rotor between cap posts, when the cam is breaking.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.