ignition wire question for Dodge Coronet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ignition wire question for Dodge Coronet

On a 66 dodge coronet, which wire colors are the "Start" and which one is the "Run"? I have looked at the diagram and am not keen enough on wiring to be sure.
Here are two links to images of the diagrams:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetB.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The brown wire from the ignition switch to the ballast then on to the coil is the "start" wire. It bypasses the ballast resistor to provide full current for start-up.

The dark Blue from the regulator provides "run" voltage. It goes through the ballast resistor, limiting the current to the coil to prevent overheating it.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

When you look at the wiring diagram and see the ignition switch, it has some letters at each terminal of the switch. The are labeled as B, A, S 1, and 2. I actually took the switch out and looked on the back side and it corelats with that: Batt, Acc, S, ING1, and ING2. I would have thought that "start" would have been S which is yellow. What is the point of the two seperate ING positions?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Ignition switch question

Hey 2002, The "S" position is the start wire(yellow)it is only hot in the crank position, it energizes the starter relay, this energizes the starter solenoid, which energizes the starter motor.

The "IGN2" position is the resistor bypass(brown)wire. It is only hot when the key is in the crank position to provide full voltage to the ignition coil for starting the engine.

The "IGN1" position (Dark Blue wire) is for three functions, 1) it provides power to the dash gauges, 2) it provides excitation power to the voltage regulator to make the alternator start charging, 3) it provides power to the ballast resistor to keep the engine running after the key is released to the run position. It is only hot when the key is in the run position.

Got it? Test on Friday! olnolan

Last edited by OLNOLAN; 07-24-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Both of you guys have been helpful. I am installing a 5.7 hemi in my 66 coronet. I purchased a custom wiring harness from Squire just for this swap but it comes with no instructions. It does however have very clear labeling. The two wires that have me thrown on the harness is one labeled "Ingnition switch Start position" and "ignition switch On position". If I were knowledgeable of car wiring this would probably be easy. Everything under the hood is pretty self explainitory and the harnesses only fit thier intended locations. But the under dash wiring is pretty daunting even though it is only a few wires. I am not sure If I supposed to be splicing or replacing wires.

OLNOLAN - based on the discription on the label "Ignition Switch Start position" would I need to tie the into the Brown or Yellow wire for that one? Both are only hot in the start position.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

5.7 Hemi Conversion ?

Hey 2002, While I can only conjure a vision in my head of what you are trying to do, it appears that you are installing a NEW harness that would eliminate the ENGINE portion of your OLD wiring harness. Going with that assumption, you should not be tying in any NEW harness wires to any OLD harness wiring.

Is this the harness you are using?;http://www.hotwireauto.com/files/Ins...uck_Hotrod.pdf

If so, the link I supplied MAY be the instructions you said you did not receive.

From what is in these harness instructions, you would be connecting the yellow start wire to the "S" position and the pink to the "IGN1" position. The OLD harness wires will no longer be used. Oh, you may still need to power the dash gauges from "IGN1", I would have to look into the new harness more to tell.

Please understand that I don't have a Crystal Ball to SEE what you are trying to accomplish and I'm working under alot of assumptions here. Hope this helps. olnolan

P.S.- You will likely need to add a "tee" to the sensors on the new engine and use the original sensors and original wires to make your gauges and/or idiot lights work.

Last edited by OLNOLAN; 07-24-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: GAUGES
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

That was very helpful. That did not come with my paperwork and yes that is the harness that I bought. It looks like some of the info doesn't apply to me because I didn't use a newer transmission. I have the old 727. Well for now I will just try and get it all hooked up and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

Photos

Hey, Let us know how it turns out, post some photos. Here's a link back to the source of your harness, with Hemi installations;
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PROJECTS/pr...ndex.html#hemi
olnolan

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.