Ignition wiring for g-body Cutlass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ignition wiring for g-body Cutlass

I just replaced my stock floor shift steering column with a Flaming River chrome column. I'm going with the Flaming River keyless ignition push button start in a few months. in the meantime I need to start the car. I got an ignition cylinder and key from an 91 Toyota Camry that was dash mounted in that car. Im going to temporarily mount this in my glove box.

My question is.....which wires from the factory column do I need to wire to the Camry ignition? I have a Haynes manual and also have access to All Data but ALL wiring diagrams look like alien chat to me. Any help is appreciated and thanx in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

This is the column............

In the car with some work still to do........

And this is the ignition from the Camry......the wires are labeled as follows.......AM1, ST1, ACC, IG1, ST2, AM2, IG2..........What are the wire colors in my Cutlass for this to function?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

If you have the schematic for the Camry and the Cutlas ignition/start wiring post them and we should be able to give you wire to wire connections.
Also, does the car have a computer controlled engine?
Does the car have an HEI ignition system?
Does the car have the original wiring harness?
What year is the car?

vicrod
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
If you have the schematic for the Camry and the Cutlas ignition/start wiring post them and we should be able to give you wire to wire connections.
Also, does the car have a computer controlled engine?
Does the car have an HEI ignition system?
Does the car have the original wiring harness?
What year is the car?

vicrod
Thanx Vicrod. I got the car started just before you posted.

Not computer controlled, I've got a Chevy 383 in it.
Its not an HEI system
It has the original wiring harness

Its an 84 Cutlass. I went to the12volt.com and pulled up the wiring diagram but the colors aren't the same for the wiring. But when I pull up an 85 Monte Carlo, all the wire colors are the same, so I'm working off that diagram.

From the car I got Red(constant 12v), Purple(starter), Pink(ignition) and Orange(acc).

Car starts but the tail lights remain on the entire time and the headlights wont come on.

Now my question is which wires from the original column do I have to connect for the head lights, turn signals, wipers and hazards to operate?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

The point type distributor requires a ballast wire between the ignition switch and the coil +. And a start wire from the starter to the coil +. The Cutlass had neither.
Or change to an HEI distributor that only requires a single wire from the ignition switch. The Cutlass harness should have that.

Generally GM wire colors were the same for the task they did such as start, ignition, etc.

The turn signals & hazard flashers should connect as original. If the wire colors on the MONTE diagram are the same as the your Cutlass you should be OK. But regardless of the color check the actual function of the wire (refering to the diagram) to verify the correct wire is connected.

If the headlight dimmer is on the new steering column this also should be the same as the original connection.

If the wiper switch and headlight switch are on the new column but not on the original column we will need to examine the diagrams for both the original and the new column switch to determine how to do the conversion.

vicrod
Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod

If the headlight dimmer is on the new steering column this also should be the same as the original connection.

If the wiper switch and headlight switch are on the new column but not on the original column we will need to examine the diagrams for both the original and the new column switch to determine how to do the conversion.

vicrod
I am afraid this one is going to turn into a lot of work . Looking at the picture of the new column , the only wiring harness I see coming out of it is for the directionals . Unless there is more to it than I can see in the picture . Terraplane answers a lot of wiring posts and has wired numerous cars but he is gone on a weekend cruise and I don't expect to see him back on here until Monday so it looks like Vicrod has this one . I'll keep watching just to see how it turns out. Sorry no advice to add . Just bored .
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

You're correct in saying the only harness from the new column is for the turn signals and hazards. But there are several other wires that went to the original column that are dangling, I'm assuming I need to jump to to each other in some sort of way(if that made sense) because the hazards and signals aren't working at the moment either.

I've got the ignition ans starter wires together, I started the car with the Camry key. I have a MSD ignition set-up, not the points. Now just trying to figure out the rest that was originally on the column, wipers and headlights.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Also, this was mounted on the backside of the dash, on the drivers side. What is it?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
life is a ride

Last photo:

If you have the old steering column you can compare which controls are on it with the new column.
But the remaining wires must be for the following.
Headlight/dimmer switch.
Wiper/washer control switch.

You will need a dash mounted light switch and a foot operated dimmer switch. The wiring is the same just the locations of the switches are different.

A dash mounted, GM wiper/washer control switch will also be needed and the wires connected.

One option would be to contact Flaming River to see if they can provide a conversion kit to duplicate the controls that were on the original column.

I don't what the thing is in the picture. Can you trace out the wires? Do the wires go into the main harness or are seperate as would be found in a non-factory accessory like a security system?

vicrod
Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

Cruise control?? Or antenna relay? Just a guess.

A/G BODY WIRING DIAGRAMS >> http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

More >> http://www.badss.net/other/monte_85_wiring.pdf

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.