I''ll tell you my stupidest move if you tell me yours! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down I''ll tell you my stupidest move if you tell me yours!

We have all done stupid, embarrassing automotive FUBAR's so I thought it might be fun to start a thread on this subject. Here's one of mine.

I was installing lowering blocks on my 2x2 Toyota mini truck which means the leaf springs are on the bottom of the axle. I was laying sideways underneath the drivers side spring while unbolting the u-bolts. I had put my jack stands under the axle because the wheels were off. Are you picturing this? Well, stupid me, I didn't block the springs cause I'm thinking I'm wrenching on my 4x4 which has the springs on top of the axle. Guess what? That's right, the springs goes BANG and drops about 3 inches straight down when the last nut came off (Gee no wonder it was tight with the whole weight of the truck on it. It came slammin down on my chest and trapped me there!
My girlfriend found me about 10 minutes later (in her driveway) and jacked the truck back up. I was lucky...it was just enough pressure to grab my cloths but not hurt me. DOH!

Your turn......I'll tell you about the forgotten ratchet hanging from the pulley bolt another time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Alright heres mine,
When me and my dad pulled the engine out of my truck, we used the rafters on our shed to pull it out. Once we had the engine hanging over it, we put a 5 gallon bucket under the transmission to catch all the fluid. Once it stopped, we pulled the truck back so we could put the engine on the ground. Well, we forgot to get the bucket of tranny fluid and when we pulled the truck back, the frame hit it and knocked it over! When my mom came home that day she wasn't to happy to see all the old tranny fluid all over the driveway!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Is it Beer:30 yet?

Last photo:

oops

I was working on my 73 satelite draining the oil..no biggie right...not using jack stands The hydraulic jack i was using was a little leaky I had this funny feeling it was getting harder to get under tha car...well i was under there pulling the filter when i felt some pressure on my belly well i was stuck...no damage though my pride was hurt...I had enough of my lower body sticking out i could jack up the car with my feet...took a few minuets..but i made it out....Looked around and saw nobody...I was safe.. Nope my friends got it all on video!!! I saw it that night Feet and legs flailing trying to jack up the car...I asked why they didnt help..they said....."you were still moving"
Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

thought i might try using a blow torch on the floor of my second hot rod with the carpet in it. i must have surely moved it to the side at least or something. i was 19 and too many bong loads in between. i just remember this guy at work, i was working at the Lyon mfg co making lift all fork lifts in sparks nv welding two four inch thick peices together with a mig. making a whole $6/hr.
first thing you knowthis bud i work with is spraying the fire extinguisher all over my car and me. turns out he put my car out. and really fast too, i dont remember anything being too burned up. i brought him a bottle of 'velvet the next day. after a couple weeks tho, a grinder handle fell off his big grinder and he sliced right thru his thigh. i never saw him after that, but i quit there after about a month
that or driving thru the tiny hole and going into a ditch. if you want to see some really stupid $(*^ then search stupidest or dumbest things you ever did and you'll die

ps: it's always beer thirsty oops thirty, somewhere!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:40 PM
il enforcer

Re: I''ll tell you my stupidest move if you tell me yours!

I used to have a bunch of tree stumps and a ton of loose sand in my yet unpaved driveway. I was moving the Bronco and got stuck. I put her in 4wd and kept backing up thinking the front tires were stuck on the stumps. I got it moved to where I wanted and shut off the engine.

I opened the door to see the lawnmover handle sticking out from under the truck. Damn that lawn mower made a great wheel stop.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:00 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Does stuff we've done while driving count?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

The one that beats all, atleast for me, was when me and the buds were firing up an old 235 motor in my utility trailer, getting it ready to go to the swap meet. We were half way through a half rack of Corrona's so I filled one of the emptys half-full of priming gas to dribble down the carburetor. Well, it fired up alright and filled the garage up full of smoke in the process.. While we were all stumbling around the shop, high on all the monoxide we just made, I figured i'd take a swig of beer and grabbed the wrong bottle.

Pleechkkk!!!! patueee... <gag> I'll never do that again
Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Gone fishin'

I got another one

My mom will let me do anything I want to my truck in our driveway (rebuild engine,set it on fire,flip it over, etc.) but she won't let me change my own oil or tranny fluid. Because everytime I crawl under it and drain the fluids, I forget about the bucket of oil and knock it over while crawling out from under the truck!
I just don't know whats with me and spilling oil and crap all over my yard!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 PM

My dad and i were working on my 87 monte carlo ss, a head overhaul. We needed to drain the radiator but we couldn't find the draining plug. So i go to my trunk and grabbed my recently purchased shaker siphon. (I NEVER USED IT TO STEAL GAS). So my dad goes "whats that?" "it's a siphon." i said. "Why do you have it?" and i told him the truth. "just to have it." He just shook his head and grabbed a bucket.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Hey this is great stuff...here's another one.

When I was 19 by buddy and I were working on his black 69 Charger that was out in front of my parents house. His parents would not let him buy a car so hero bought one anyway and my parents were cool enough to let him keep it there. So anyway we just finished installing a Edelbrock intake and Holley 750 double pumper and decided to light her up. My buddy primed the crap out of her and it backfired a ball of fire up and into the underside to of the hood. Well this really cool charger had gold shag carpeting glued to the entire underside of the hood (he bought it that way). And ya you guessed it...major fire...we put it out by shaking up cans of Budweiser and spraying her down. What a waste of beer. That black hood looked a little crispy on the top side too...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

my step dads 72 Toyota, I was 14 and already more technically advanced than he was. He tells me to change the oil in it. I had only done this in our 2 pintos before. Looked for the "big bolt" pulled it out and drained it. then changed the filter added 3 more qts and started it up...LOTS OF SMOKE backed the car about 1 ft before it froze.. exposed enough of the oil bucket for me to realize that I drained the transmission... step father chose that moment to see how It was going....

got impatient waiting for my father to change the heater core in my 64 valiant convertable. Jumped in and started taking it out, though Id listen to tunes while I was doing it ,so I was using the car radio (Which I had in the glovebox, right over the heater core...). the splice for the radio gets pullled loose, hits the metal core sparks EVERYWHERE, and smoke starts coming out from the dash mounted speaker... luckily for me, all I got was fried wires and no fire. Told dad about it and, he was fumed!! He says "what was the first thing I taught you, when you work on the car?" I say "uh dissconnect the battery, dad"
he says "you see why now?..you always have to learn things the HARD way"....
Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Not me but funny...

First few weeks in High School auto shop the teacher is showing us how to change the oil using his car. Puts it up on the lift, drains the oil, removes the filter, shows us the gasket to check to make sure it isn't stuck to the block, lube and fill new filter and screw back on. Lowers the car and puts 4 quarts in, says start it and run a few seconds and turn off to fill the last quart or so not to overfill. Well after running it it didn't register on the stick, he put in the fifth quart, still doesn't register. Hmmm, raises car and 5 quarts of oil are all over the shop floor. Yep, forgot to put the plug back in. Since we laughed our a$$es off at him he made us clean it up.

Best friend's ditsy wife was driving his truck and the oil light came on. She stops and buys a case of oil, checks the dip stick, it's below the "fill" line, she takes the cap off the valve cover and fills the engine, literally, until she sees oil in the valve cover. Starts driving home, gets a few miles and thar she blows...
We took the valve cover off after towing it home and it looked like a solid wax candle covering the springs.

My grandmother stopped out of town for gas (old full service station) attendent said the engine needs oil. The guy puts two quarts of engine oil in the transmission filler tube and wonders why the engine still isn't full. Shop manager comes out to take a look. He had to drain the tranny before she could continue on her trip. Said he was cussing under his breath the whole time.

When I was a kid our old 1952 Century inboard boat was acting up so we pulled the tank to clean out the trash. At the lake house a friend of my uncle's decided the best to get it out was to burn it out. After draining the tank he dropped a match in it, ka-boom, flames shot out the filler neck 10-15 feet and the tank had a more rounded look about it. He decided to try it again but looking over the tank this time, ka-boom, same thing only this time he lost his beard, eyebrows and part of his hair. Alcohol was involved.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

sorry off topic, but that reminds me of the time I lit a smoke off a gas stove.. spent the next 20 minutes wondering what "that horrible smell" was until I realized it was my eyebrow, or what was left of it....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

428HO keep going man! Those are priceless.....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Gone fishin'

This is one my dad told me when he was in high school. He had a friend who wasn't the most "mechanically" inclined person. The guy had a real nice 70 something Superbird. Well the guy decided to change his own oil, he drained the oil and put a new filter on and forgot to put in more oil! My dad said he the pulled up to where everyone was hanging out, the car died and couldn't start! Its one of the funniest stories my dad has told me that he used to do when he was my age.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.