Im about to give up on my brakes... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Im about to give up on my brakes...

Ok So a while ago, as stated before,my mom made me go to the local mechanic shop to fix my brakes and told me that my proportioning valve and master were out. So i just replaced the master myself with a cheapo $25 one. Problem is that ive bleed the system for like 2 hours straight and now with the new master, the car doesn't lockup tires when i slam the brakes like it used too, and i have to push down pretty far to get the brakes going and its not very good either. Should i replace the PP valve with another one or try a different master cylinder? I think the quality of the master might be bad as well..What do you guys think? I tested the booster and it checks out and no brake fluid leaks anywhere else....Please help I know this sounds weird but I have a date with the girl i like in a few days and i dont wanna crash my firebird with her in it!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bird
Ok So a while ago, as stated before,my mom made me go to the local mechanic shop to fix my brakes and told me that my proportioning valve and master were out. So i just replaced the master myself with a cheapo $25 one. Problem is that ive bleed the system for like 2 hours straight and now with the new master, the car doesn't lockup tires when i slam the brakes like it used too, and i have to push down pretty far to get the brakes going and its not very good either. Should i replace the PP valve with another one or try a different master cylinder? I think the quality of the master might be bad as well..What do you guys think? I tested the booster and it checks out and no brake fluid leaks anywhere else....Please help I know this sounds weird but I have a date with the girl i like in a few days and i dont wanna crash my firebird with her in it!!
Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder? I would try gravity bleeding them and see if that will fix it. Basically, make sure the M/C is full, starting with the RR, loosen the bleeder and let the fluid drip into a pan for 15-20 minutes, tighten the bleeder. Watch the bleeder as the fluid drips for any bubbles. As long as there are bubbles, there is air in the system. Then go to the LR and do the same thing. Next, do the RF and then the LF. Keep an eye on the fluid level during the process and don't push on the pedal. Let us know if it works.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Ok so are you saying that I should just leave the bleeder open the entire time while it drains out? Because they say that you should use a 1/4 tubing leading into a cup from the bleeder valve. And I never understood the concept of bench bleeding if somebody could elaborate. Thanks tons!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

I apologize if you covered this in your other thread...But, can you verify that the MC bore is the same size? Bore size is important with your system. Too small and you will push the pedal to the floor without fully engaging the brakes. Too big and you won't be able to press the brakes at all.

Another problem I have had in the past similar to yours was due to worn out rubber hoses, especially at the rear brake junction. Even if this doesn't fix this particular problem, it is worth replacing these parts for the safety you are looking for.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

The part that I ordered said it was OEM. Ive also noticed that one of the tips on the proportioning valve doesnt go in all the way either..maybe about 1 thread is showing on the tip. Beforehand, I tried to install the my new proportioning valve (which i have yet to install) the master cylinder itself and it was having difficulty connecting...could uit be due to that? And what about the fact that its a cheap master cylinder?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1361637
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

And also, I did not have the vise to bench bleed it...Can i just buy a $8 bleeder kit from autozone to do the job?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

I can't answer to the proportioning valve. Will need some help on that. Again, make sure you have right components. OEM doesn't mean you got one for the right application. You can do some cross referencing part numbers on most of the auto parts stores web sites to check it out if you don't trust the folks who sold you this one.

I am an advocate for good troubleshooting. But, at the same time, I am not afraid to do a full replacement on brake components. Brakes are not something we should wait to fully wear out. Especially if you don't know the maintenance history. I'd say go ahead and put on the replacement parts.

Then, follow S-10 racers advice on bleeding. It is a good way to save pumping by letting gravity bleed air out of the system. Don't let it all drain out. Keep filling the master as it gets low. Some systems will still require the standard bleed after a gravity bleed. Have someone press the pedal while you open the bleeder. If no air comes out, you'll be good.

As far as bench bleeding, I don't do it. I don't like spilling fluid on my ride. For some reason I always get it to work. Gravity bleed followed by some press and release has always gotten the job done for me.

For master cylinders, I use the cheapos myself. It could be bad, but I have only ever gotten one bad one myself. I do find the cheap ones will wear out sooner. Sometimes they leak at the bore. But for what I do, they work okay for me. You get what you pay for still applies.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Alright thanks alot that was much appreciated I get my first check from my first job tomorrow and plan to buy a nice floor jack as a gift for myself for finishing my junior year of high school!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Bleeder Kit: Clear tubing that fits the bleeder valve and an old mason jar. And a partner to press the brakes while you open the bleeder valve.

I use a mason jar so I don't have to empty it often. The clear tubing helps you keep an eye on an air bubbles coming out of the system.

Not to insult you but for the procedure after gravity bleed: Open the bleeder valve and then have your partner push the pedal down. Close the bleeder before the partner releases the pedal. Open Valve, Press pedal, close valve, release pedal.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

So I would follow through with a regular 2 person bleed after the gravity bleed ? I think i'm gunna get this done within a day or so! Thanks so much!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

I would do it now, but i have finals to study for tomorrow. Thanks all!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

One question, when I bleed the brakes, should i leave the key in accessory so the power brakes turn on?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Your power brakes will not work properly without the engine running, the brake booster uses vacuum from the engine. After you gravity bleed the brakes, start the car and have a friend or family member help with the power bleeding. Here is how I power bleed.

1. Make sure the master cylinder is full
2. Start the motor
3. Pump the brakes 5-6 times and hold firmly down while the other person loosens the bleeder on the wheel. Again, start with the RR. Keep pushing on the pedal until it is as far down as it will go and hold it there while the other person tightens the bleeder back up. Repeat this as many times as it takes until you have no air coming out with the fluid, it may take 3-4 times. Top the master cylinder off and repeat this process for the LR, then the RF and last the LF.

Last edited by S10 Racer; 06-14-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Alright thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

What was the original issue you were having that they thought you needed a master and prop valve.
Please tell me it wasnt a Midas, Pepboys etc kind of place

Chet

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.