Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I'm Back ... and Working On A Pair of Seats!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath

Dan: Thanks for the heads up! PS - Have you ever heard of using bags from the cleaners before? I never tried it ... but it's something I heard a long, long time ago and filed it in the back of my head. It does make sense that sliding one of those bags over the seat before slipping your cover on would make things go easier ... I've just always wondered if you might hear crinkley-noises every time you shifted in the seat (THAT would suck!).
That's exactly why you don't use bags from the cleaners. If you use anything, it would be silk film which wouldn't make any noise, and there are some seat backs where you might need to do that just at the very top, (like Ford truck seats that have headrests as part of the seat back) but there are no seat bottoms where any plastic should be necessary. You show the seat covers after you took them apart on your website. Was there any plastic over the foam in the first place? I didn't think so. There couldn't have been or the velcro wouldn't have worked. Plastic is big in boat seats because you are trying to pull a plain vinyl seat cover over foam, but your seat covers are going to have sew foam that will let the covers slide right on over the foam. You could also spray them with silicone.
Let me throw this one out into the universe.........plastic encourages condensation with temperature changes, and would trap any moisture that might develop. I've had this discussion before when someone asked if you'd need plastic under a seat cover in an open roadster that may get trapped out in the rain, and also in a thread about cleaning seat covers....... Look at post #18 in THIS THREAD to see some pictures of why I don't like plastic under seat covers. Also read post #20.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-17-2008 at 01:24 AM.