Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I'm Back ... and Working On A Pair of Seats!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

No problem with using a strip of plastic on the edge of the seat back. I'm talking about covering the whole thing in plastic which isn't necessary. I also know from experience and the style of Alan's seats that they will go together with no problem without using any plastic at all. Remember, the seats you are copying were made on a production line where speed is just as important as quality. I'm trying to get you guys to think in terms of making custom seats, where "good enough" isn't good enough and taking any extra 10 minutes to put a seat cover on will teach you a lot more than slamming something together as fast as you can.
What I'm trying to get across to you guys is that if you do the seat covers right in the first place, you won't need to heat anything or steam anything. The only thing I use my steamer for in my shop is to form carpet. I use my heat gun to make vinyl repairs.

Mark: I'm sure when you worked on dental chairs you were using contract grade vinyl like Naugahyde Spirit Milenium which is very heavy, stiff, and hard to work with, and made to take a beating and be impervious to staining and yes, steam and or heat would help with that situation. The modern vinyls, 100% polyurethanes like Ultraleather, and leather are soft and pliable, and don't need heat or steam.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-17-2008 at 07:57 AM.