I'm building a sbc 350 need input PLEASE - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2003, 10:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face I'm building a sbc 350 need input PLEASE

I'm building a sbc 350 can someone e-mail me on the best way to build a 350 what I want is a nice sounding head turning motor. Not a racing motor but a crusing motor that will turn heads when I pull into a hang out ect. Can anyone help? please e-mail me at theernster@aol.com It is going in a 1980 Z-28 Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2003, 03:25 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

if all you want is good sound just put a nice flowmaster exhaust and headers with the mufflers at the very end.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

It really depends on what you intend on putting this engine in.
If you want real unique sound, and have the room there is an exhaust system that will rattle any REAL hot rodders cage, but be only as loud as you want to make it.
Motorcycles do this all the time and get away with more noise that ANY other automobile.
Pair your corresponding cylinder firing sequence with a 2 into 1 full length exhaust for 2 cylinders at a time. Example:
1 and 8 cylinders exit into 1-5/8" full length primaries, merge into a 2 inch full length exhaust to the rear of the vehicle.
And the same thing with cylinders 4 and 3, 6 and 5, and 7 and 2.
Variations of the exhaust pairs will alter the sound, and you can use flowmasters for the 4 cylinder engines for the deadener.
I have also wondered what a full length exhaust would sound like for each of 8 cylinders.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

For a cruising engine, I would say keep compression around 9.5:1 . This will make it 87 octane friendly. If you are just wanting a good running engine there is no need to go aftermarket. You said you want a head turner, so I would save your money for the dressup. Flat Top Pistons and a set of Camel Hump heads would make good power and get about the compression you want. I would look for a latter set with asseccory holes. If you cant find a set built or get some built for around $400, I would look into some vortecs. Either way you should be happy. The Vortecs will require a different intake that the old heads.

I would get a cam around the 260 adv. duration and around .450 lift. It will keep drivabilty good.

Top it off with an edlebrock performer intake, and an Edelbrock intake. I say edelbrock, cause you said you want a head turner, and I think they are good looking carbs. On that note, I am die hard Holley, because they perform better.

As for the dress up....I would spend the cash on fabricated aluminum valve covers, aluminum timing cover and some kind of eye catching air filter. Nothing is cooler in my opinion than fabricated valve covers!

I would get ceramic coated headers to keep the look clean. A set of dual flowmasters or dynomax mufflers and an H pipe or cross over should finish it up.

chris
Old 03-27-2003, 05:38 AM

Red face

Thanks for the input everyone keep it coming!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

Do not use a noisy gear drive to turn heads. All who have used a noisy gear drive knows what a pain in the butt they are. If you want to turn heads, put a purty female behind the wheel of your hot rod. That will turn heads for sure. I know it would mine.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

head turner

Put a Ricer buzz bomb muffler on. I always wanted to know how one of those annoying things would sound on a V8.

You could paint the engine "pink". That should turn some heads.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS10
For a cruising engine, I would say keep compression around 9.5:1 . This will make it 87 octane friendly. If you are just wanting a good running engine there is no need to go aftermarket. You said you want a head turner, so I would save your money for the dressup. Flat Top Pistons and a set of Camel Hump heads would make good power and get about the compression you want. I would look for a latter set with asseccory holes. If you cant find a set built or get some built for around $400, I would look into some vortecs. Either way you should be happy. The Vortecs will require a different intake that the old heads.

I would get a cam around the 260 adv. duration and around .450 lift. It will keep drivabilty good.

Top it off with an edlebrock performer intake, and an Edelbrock intake. I say edelbrock, cause you said you want a head turner, and I think they are good looking carbs. On that note, I am die hard Holley, because they perform better.

As for the dress up....I would spend the cash on fabricated aluminum valve covers, aluminum timing cover and some kind of eye catching air filter. Nothing is cooler in my opinion than fabricated valve covers!

I would get ceramic coated headers to keep the look clean. A set of dual flowmasters or dynomax mufflers and an H pipe or cross over should finish it up.

chris
I agree with turboS10, keep it around 9.5-1 compression and run a small cam to keep the lowend and midrange good, you can also run a small cam like this with a tighter lobe Seperation angle like 108 degrees if you're wanting a good rumpity idle. Flattop pistons with basic 882 or 441 casting heads would work just fine, camelhump heads are getting hard to find. Headers, a performer intake and a edelbrock or holley 600 will get you to 300-325HP easy if the engine is tuned right. A good three angle valve job with a basic bowl blend will add some cheap power to those basic heads. Run the basic $39 z-28 valvesprings if you want to buzz it to 6K now and then. Cheap engines are fun. Bob
Old 07-13-2005, 01:56 PM
its not pink its ember red

Last photo:

yes geardrives are bad i blew up a 327 with a gear drive it hackd the woodruff key of my crank never use them...i have dynomax ultraflo mufflers really good flow with them and they have a good sound about at 900 rpm and cruisin sound at around 2300...i set off car alarms across a 4 lane mainstreet just going 40

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.