Hot Rod Forum banner

I'm A Chevy Guy... With A Plymouth...

890 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ghetto Jet 
#1 ·
I'm A Chevy Guy... With A Plymouth... What the hell is up with this Mopar crap.

I recently acquired a 65 Plymouth Fury ( www.cardomain.com/id/65fury ) and have been working on it for about a week now... I'm in critical stage soon, the "rebuild"

I've torn it down, taking the block and heads to a machine shop. chemical bath, polish and port, valve guides done, valves reseated (one was stuck)

But I have no idea how to build a mopar, I don't know what brands are known to fit well and reliably, what the capabilities of my 383 are (although I'm told it can be nice)

I'm staying with the stock heads and bore.

I want to drive it daily... But I want it to be decently fast too, what rear end ratio should I be looking at? I'd like to save some gas since it'll probably already suck it down, but it'd be nice to come off the line strong too. I'll be on the freeway alot though.

#3 ·
Most 383s will get along very well with around 3.70 rear gears. Also check out Mopar Performance for parts that are designed to work best for your Mopar.

Trust me, when your finished you're going to kick yourself for waisting all that time messing with Chevy's for so long when you could have been having fun with a real performance brand.

Centerline

#6 ·
Centerline said:
a real performance brand.

Centerline
That's just in the past if you want a v8 and have a budget. These days unless you want a turbo 4-banger (which is damn quick) you need to spend a fortune. The new Hemi in the trucks doesn't come with dual exhausts, and even the "rumble bee" doesn't come with duals. It does come with a sticker job, a mild body kit, a stick-on hood scoop, a number on the dash, and an extra $2000 on the procetag. The same is with Pontiac. Look at the GTO. It's sweet, but 30K hell no. Make it compete with the mustang. Have a v6 plain jane model, a v8 for about $24,000, and a luxo model for their 30. It's depressing.:(

#7 ·
I disagree ChevelleSS_LS6. I think you ruin the fun of having a performance car by offereing the same car in non-performance option. Sure Ford would have sold less but I think they would have been miles ahead to make the Mustang strictly with performance options. Look at the Corvette. Even buying the base model your still getting a car with 400 horses.

I think it takes away from the vehicle when they add lower power options in the same vehicle.

It makes it harder for the layman to own one but thats why they are a performance car . . . not everyone should own one.

#8 ·
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
That's just in the past if you want a v8 and have a budget. These days unless you want a turbo 4-banger (which is damn quick) you need to spend a fortune. The new Hemi in the trucks doesn't come with dual exhausts, and even the "rumble bee" doesn't come with duals. It does come with a sticker job, a mild body kit, a stick-on hood scoop, a number on the dash, and an extra $2000 on the procetag....
I agree. However you can't argue with the worlds fastest production truck (Dodge SRT-10) or the fastest domestically produced sports car (Dodge Viper). When it comes to Hemi trucks, I'll stack my wife's Dodge Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 up against any similarly equipped Chevy SS 454 or Ford F 150 any day. Besides the Dodge SRT 10 the only truck out there that can out perform a Hemi is the Ford Lightning. Although the Ford is lightning quick, it trades performance for "truck" usability. At least the SRT 10 and Hemi can still do the kind of "work" expected of a truck.

Centerline

#9 ·
that's true; I worked at a dodge dealer over the past year and the SRT-10 exhaust note sounds meaner than the viper's (if you're wondering). What happened to radio delete? Why do I need to spend an arm, a leg, and and another leg just to buy a new v8 anything other than a Mustang GT. If I were a little older (read: married with a family) I'd love a Magnum RT, but I don't need (or want) leather seats and all that luxo junk. Give me power windows, power locks, and a nice cd player and I'm happy. The new GTO suffers from the same thing. There's no affordable version. More GM bashing with the Camaro SS of late. The old ones you could get radio delete, ac delete, etc. but these days it seems more of a better exhaust, intake, and some luxury items over a Z28. I could go buy a '69 Chevelle and a half for a new GTO. The ford lightning and SRT 10 cost a bundle and a firstborn. The 454 SS truck of the '90s is a dog; it's from when Corvettes were at 330HP or so stock from a cutting-edge 350, and I doubt that 454 was terribly special over a motorhome 454. At least the smog days are over, as is the "recovery" days of the 80s and early/mid '90s.:)

If I were born only 30 years earlier I could've had a v8 anyting from stripper to luxo-barge all in one model line.

p.s. the new Silverado SS I don't understand either. A seemingly regular 6.0 v8 with AWD and luxury comparable to a '70s Cadillac?:drunk: And yes, I do believe that a 1500 Hemi Ram would beat one in the 1/4.

#10 ·
Siggy_Freud said:
I disagree ChevelleSS_LS6. I think you ruin the fun of having a performance car by offereing the same car in non-performance option.
Well if you think about in the Muscle Car era almost every muscle car could be purchased in a slow form, and they are the models that really sold. Thank God you could by a slow camaro, mustang, chevelle, Impala, Charger, ect. ect. ect. If you couldn't there would not be many left today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.