I'm going in T-400 rebuild advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm going in T-400 rebuild advice

Ok, so I have a TH400 in my K20 Chevy truck. It used to be a diesel, but the motor is trashed and I have a new 350 at the machine shop as we speak. The internal transmission cooler blew out inside the radiator, and since everything else is getting done, I might as well do the transmission while I have it out. I've never done a trans before and would like to find a good step by step manual to go by. I know I'm going to need a new converter, but other than that, who knows? I'd rather get this right the first time and I heard it can be done with regular tools, plus a few extras would be nice. Thin wall socket, press, c -clamps, dial indicator, feeler gauge, and a clean *** table! If anybody has any recommendations on a GOOD Manual "or anything else for that matter" for the TH400 please let me know. I hate buying manuals that aren't worth a Dookie! Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Ok, has anybody used the kits from Monster? I know you get what you pay for in these kits, but I have literally no idea what to be looking for in a kit. I'd rather stay away from Ebay in this case.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

I haven't seen or read anything good about Monster.
You'll need to disassemble & inspect the Trans to know what parts will be needed. Even Master Kits don't include everything.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/3L80-400.html
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...arts_s/651.htm

Build Info:
ATSG Manual 400/3L80
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...0_Rebuild_tech
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...-pictures.html
Good Kit>> http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...BUILDKITS.html
Hughes, TCI & B&M have fairly complete Kits aswell.
Video is a good idea.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1
Ok, has anybody used the kits from Monster? I know you get what you pay for in these kits, but I have literally no idea what to be looking for in a kit. I'd rather stay away from Ebay in this case.
i was thinking about the monster in a box kits, and would be very interested in some input from the pros on here.

but, i just haven't got that far, and haven't done enough homework yet

there are some tranny guys here that can probably get you pointed in the right direction

have you read/looked at, the trans. wiki tech articles yet?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

If you decide to tackle the rebuild yourself just be very careful that you keep everything in order and make sure you put everything in the exact way it came out. Some of the bearings and large C-clips will go in both ways but are only supposed to go in one way..I didn't know this when I did mine and completely burnt 2nd and 3rd...i had to pull the trans and do it all again 200 miles later.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

I just recently did my 350 Turbo,, I had a factory manual with lots of pictures, which is good , cause you may have no idea what part is called what. Lay everything out in order, make notes, especially if it's possible to put a part in wrong or backwards. Luckiy for me, I found a retired auotmotive instructor I could call if I got stuck, luckily I only had to call once .. , the factory manual is not the best guide, cause it only tells you how the engineers thought it ot be done the year the vehicle was built. A more recent book will tell you what to look for, how it actually wore, and short cuts, or the easier way to do it.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Get a master overhaul kit from ATP and a manual by Ron Sessions.
Yoy will need a special tool to compress the clutch packs, I made my own with angle iron and threaded rod.The main thing is CLEAN I mean surgically clean.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I've been through some of the pages, though it's hard to understand anything when I haven't been into the trans yet. The Monster in a box kit is what I was referring to as well. I was curious if anybody has used one, or had good luck with it. I guess I'm going to still do LOTS of surfin, to see what else is out there and what's available. Motors are a piece of cake, but I haven't even thought about doing a transmission. No better time to learn I guess. I need to fill up the parts washer, and clean the table off. I was wondering if anybody sells an adapter for an engine stand to hold the transmissions? I saw one on a site, but nothing was ever mentioned about it.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

A tip I recently heard or read about was to use something like a shower curtain rod and place the parts on there in the order you remove them. Hanging it using a couple of chains to keep it out of the way and preventing the chances of knocking everything over by accident might be a good idea too. Another one was to take an old wooden chair and make a hole in the seat large enough to snugly set the transmission into the hole, tail shaft down. It will then be properly braced during disassembly and reassembly and easier to work on. Of course, if the chair is big enough, you can drill another hole for the shower curtain rod and place parts on there as you remove them. My personal recommendation is photographing everything every step of the way. Its saved me a headache and a cussing session many times over during a carburetor rebuild.

I hope you document your rebuild on here. I'd definitely follow it.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Definitely a good idea there. The tranny stands I'm finding look pretty cheesy, I think I may just go with the hole trick, either that or just build one. If there's any other info out there, please let me know. thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I made an adapter for my engine stand... 1 1/2'' angle comes out in a curve, like a "C" to hold2 bolts to go in the lifting holes in the tranny housing.. AND you can turn it work on it .
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

That sounds like the one I saw. Got any pics? Don't be holdin out on us now, Lol. If I could find it again I could probably build it. It's always the picture I don't save!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

I should probably mention that the motor I'm building is more than likely going be around 350hp. So I don't need some ballistic transmission. I personally don't like the gears slamming in as it shifts.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Does this look like the one you built Knighthawk? Here's a link, to Peterson's Offroad. http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart.../photo_02.html
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Ok, were does one find this book by Ron Sessions? I checked Amazon and they have 16 of them. Starting at $150.00 ! WHAT? For a Used friggen book? No luck on Ebay either. The ATSG manual is $27, that's more like it. But if anybody has one of these they'd like to sell, or lease out for a reasonable rate "lol" please let me know.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.