i'm gunna need some help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

i'm gunna need some help

I'll find out tommorrow if we have a deal but i'm plannig on getting a 1965 Mustang Coupe which is suspected to have a 200 CI straight 6. the exterior is rusted in places but it comes with all the parts to repair the exterior problems then comes the interior .. it as far as i can tell needs to be gutted and re started.. i've only heard words.. but no sights yet.. so i need to see before beliving.. i'm gunna need some help with decisions on interior and the engine has been said to have run last summer. I'll post pics and a new thread that hopefully yall can help me with..

-Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Soundsl like a great project. Be forwarned though, early Mustangs have some dirty secrets. The inner cowl was made of plain steel with no rustproofing and that is where the rainwater collects from the draining though the louvers at the bottom of the windshield. WHEN the cowl rotted out, it let water drain onto the carpet which rotted out the floor boards which rotted out the structure below the floor. If you pull the carpet back on the passenger and drivers side, you'll probably find some cobbled up tin repair that was done at some time.

Really don't want to spoil the fun, just letting you know. I'm working on a 70 right now that had these problems too.

You can check my journal out here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=5&reverse=1
Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

64-69 Rambler Americans and 63-66 Rambler Classic and Ambassador have a similar problem with the cowl vent floor. Only in those cases there was at least paint. Trash/leaves/etc. accumulate over the years and cause it to rust out, just like the Mustang. I had that same problem, just made a new floor and put it in. Should be available as a patch panel for the Mustang, I had to make my own! Some photos are in my album. Not extremely difficult once you figure it out. I had to go under the hood and put a few rivets in, but they aren't noticeable unless you know they're in.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Absolute first priority if you get the car is replace every part of the brakes hydraulics...steel lines, hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc

they are extremely dangerous because it is a single cylinder master cylinder......"if" any part fails you lose all the brakes instantly....have no stopping at all...pedal just goes to the floor

the steel lines rust from the inside out due to moisture in the lines so there is no way to tell when they are going to fail....you don't know how old and rotted the hoses and cylinders are....fair chance the master is original and all the seals are shot

best if you replace the master with a 67' or later dual cylinder

the good news is all the parts are resonably priced, alot are available local and the rest from any of the many Mustang parts houses (ex:mustangsunlimited.com online catalog)

wet feet from a cowl leak won't kill you....no brakes will
Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

The '67 Cougar I just picked up sounds like about the same condition. I'm interested to watch your build & see where are the differences come out between the 2 rides. Best of luck!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 AM

There are a few cars for which there is more information available than any others, the Mustang is one of them.
The others:
1909-27 Model T Fords
1928-31 Model A Fords
1955-57 Chevrolets
1965-73 Mustangs
1953-67 Corvettes
1932-48 Fords
Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM

i'm gunna need some help

Hmmm I usually just Slidd mine off the Road intoo the Bar ditch too get her too stop . Yipp from Falcon's too Rancheros , Too a 66 Shelby 2+2 << pretty much covers me and my car experience add F series truck's and Air Cooled Buggys too the list . But For me Horses were my first Luv . On the 200 motor Mustang << realize has Falcon brakes small Drumms << Meaning Might wanna Consider Upgrades here afore you start just rebuilding the existing System . the 200 CU In is for the Most part a 170 Falcon or Maverick motor . So Afore you start thinkin it needs a v8 motor need too consider the car and what your intentions are for it . as too is this a OEM restoration or is this Gonna be a Hot Rodd with all the Goodies ! Lotts of Goodies availiable for these Cars . I was even once involved with a 351 Cleaveland in a 65 << requires Shaving of the Shock Towers <<, Old School Technology Not really reccomended these Days 5.0 Is the way Too Go But realize on the V8 Transformation intoo the 6 cyl Mustang Gonna need a Differential 8 In be Minimum or Custom made Ford 9 In But then Theres Stuff out there on the Market Supercedes Any of the Stuff Ive Done with these Car's . I once Did a 390 In a 68 Cougar <<, That was a trick and My 66 2+2 with Shelby Tail Pinns Came with Flaired Fenders and one Ratted out 351 Windsor motor With Headers > yeah I was a kidd then and it Pumped oil like crazy . Had too change Plugs All the Time Not easy task with windsor and headers . But Yeah I loved these Cars ! Basic 2 types of re Upholstering Kitts For the Seat's 1 Was Cheap << No horswey emblem on Seat Other was Qaulity Had Horsey Emblem's . There a Unibody Vehicle <<, Might wanna Consider Full Frameing in the Partial Unibody on it . Then theres Door Repair <<< Camaros and Mustangs Long Door's <<, Means You gett the Fulcrum Affect . Then the Cowl Like what was mentioned in Former Post << Hopefully you wont have too Go there ? Then Suspension << Realize that 6 cyl Mustang Suspension is that of the Falcon not the Mustang V8 there are considerable differences in these car's . So not sure what your intentions on the car is but hope maybe this will get you too lookin in right Direction , and askin right question's per where you intend too take the Car . Sean
Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yep yep

but i'm going with the stang i belive...
so now i need some help with design plans
b/c i want it to be street/strip car
so the interor needs to be awesome ..
its going to be gutted so i'll install new radio and speakers and what not.. .. i think i can get my hands on a 428CJ.if not i'll find a 351C

but racing bucketseat with racing seatbelt for the left side.
racing.. LEANING bucket seat for right side.. racing seat belt?
rear seats going to be re-covered.. and regular seat belts

carpet.. idk

dash will be stock

the gauges might be left alone except for maybe a tach and the 3 gauge pod under the center dash

..sorry if this seems redundant.. but i copied it from an email.. so if yal didnt know.. i'm stickin stang.. sorry VW fans
Old 01-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
but i'm going with the stang i belive...
so now i need some help with design plans
b/c i want it to be street/strip car
so the interor needs to be awesome ..
its going to be gutted so i'll install new radio and speakers and what not.. .. i think i can get my hands on a 428CJ.if not i'll find a 351C

but racing bucketseat with racing seatbelt for the left side.
racing.. LEANING bucket seat for right side.. racing seat belt?
rear seats going to be re-covered.. and regular seat belts

carpet.. idk

dash will be stock

the gauges might be left alone except for maybe a tach and the 3 gauge pod under the center dash

..sorry if this seems redundant.. but i copied it from an email.. so if yal didnt know.. i'm stickin stang.. sorry VW fans
follow the KISS rule for now, you have what could be a very nice car, you could even take to the track. a 428 CJ WILL NOT fit in a Falcon Chassie without a lot of fabrication, and even a 351C will need finnessing. keep the 6cyl, in stock form, they have a strong bottom end, 7 mains 6 cyl in a row, meaning it's twice the strength of a 2 bolt 302 or 351W as a V8 has 4 mains. many things change between V8 and 6cyl cars, suspension, steering, rear end, trans are 2 diffrent bellhousings. Put a few parts into the 6cyl, headder, '78- later cylinder head ( shaved .080 ), cam, 2bbl carb ect..., it will sound cool, and it might not be the fastest, you might turn a 15-16s time slip, but your only 14, you don't need a rocket ship. you could even get the comp to 8.5:1 and run a turbocharger and have approx 200 HP at the wheels.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
follow the KISS rule for now, you have what could be a very nice car, you could even take to the track. a 428 CJ WILL NOT fit in a Falcon Chassie without a lot of fabrication, and even a 351C will need finnessing. keep the 6cyl, in stock form, they have a strong bottom end, 7 mains 6 cyl in a row, meaning it's twice the strength of a 2 bolt 302 or 351W as a V8 has 4 mains. many things change between V8 and 6cyl cars, suspension, steering, rear end, trans are 2 diffrent bellhousings. Put a few parts into the 6cyl, headder, '78- later cylinder head ( shaved .080 ), cam, 2bbl carb ect..., it will sound cool, and it might not be the fastest, you might turn a 15-16s time slip, but your only 14, you don't need a rocket ship. you could even get the comp to 8.5:1 and run a turbocharger and have approx 200 HP at the wheels.
well i guess your right

i want a 4 bbl..but that'd be hard

... but later on i'll worry bout that..

i'll hold what i got..

and drag it.. and tune it ..

i think i could run a 11-12 with a 6 cyl easy ..

i mean the 4clys do it dont they ... but they got more parts... i got 2 more cyls. than themm..MUAHHAHAHAHAHA

lol

thanx
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

i want a 4 bbl..but that'd be hard

i think i could run a 11-12 with a 6 cyl easy ..
Why a 4bbl? there is no super magic that always makes a 4bbl better. every part has an application in which it belongs on, for these 6's, a 500 CFM Holley 2300 2bbl seems to do the trick well for a N/A motor, but a 350 CFM Holley 2300 2bbl works best for Turbo/ supercharged applications, if you had an aussie 250 2v head ( or new Alloy head, when it comes out ), you could mod the intake to fit a 390 CFM Holley 4bbl and they work good ither way, but with a factory USA cast integral intake ' log head ' a 4bbl would be almost not possible.

There is a '63 Roundbody Falcon that runs a turbocharged 250 CID I6 ( same engine faimily as 200 I6 ) and runs mid 11's in the 1/4, grantid it has a lot of $$ in the motor, it puts about 446 HP out at the crank. if you turbocharged your 200 I6, you would have at least 200 HP at the crank, right now you have 120 gross rating. I'm in the prosess of rebuilding my 200 I6 ford for my '67 Falcon right now, I got a turbo for it, and a bunch of other go fast goodies I'm going to buy for it, so I know a bit about them, if you need help with anything.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Why a 4bbl? there is no super magic that always makes a 4bbl better. every part has an application in which it belongs on, for these 6's, a 500 CFM Holley 2300 2bbl seems to do the trick well for a N/A motor, but a 350 CFM Holley 2300 2bbl works best for Turbo/ supercharged applications, if you had an aussie 250 2v head ( or new Alloy head, when it comes out ), you could mod the intake to fit a 390 CFM Holley 4bbl and they work good ither way, but with a factory USA cast integral intake ' log head ' a 4bbl would be almost not possible.

There is a '63 Roundbody Falcon that runs a turbocharged 250 CID I6 ( same engine faimily as 200 I6 ) and runs mid 11's in the 1/4, grantid it has a lot of $$ in the motor, it puts about 446 HP out at the crank. if you turbocharged your 200 I6, you would have at least 200 HP at the crank, right now you have 120 gross rating. I'm in the prosess of rebuilding my 200 I6 ford for my '67 Falcon right now, I got a turbo for it, and a bunch of other go fast goodies I'm going to buy for it, so I know a bit about them, if you need help with anything.
iight then turbo it is..

i think the 500 CFM Holley woudl be cool..

NOS maybe?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
iight then turbo it is..

i think the 500 CFM Holley woudl be cool..

NOS maybe?
if your going turbo, then you would want the 350 CFM, overcarbing is not good, will cause the engine to run like crap until you wind it up. if you want NOS, drill and tap for 1/8" NPT right under the carb mounting base, then you can use a single NOS fogger nozzle.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

You might as well use the Crites kit on the shock towers, or better yet just MII the front end. You will be happier in the long run.

I don't hink that I will ever do another one without trimming the towers, even if I use a 302 block. It's too easy to do, and the benefits later are well worth the trouble.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

tomorrows the day
i'm so ready..

no not for my orthodonist appointment.. ugh

but for the time after..

when i get the final word on the trade..

then i got to get permission for the whole deal from my dad....

then here come my mustang

so cant wait...

i'll post picures of them tomorrow..

they look all rusty b/c they've been siting in a field for like 5 years

-Scott

oh and thanks for all yalls replies...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.