Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Im' having a rough time with this...it jus (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/im-having-rough-time-jus-195571.html)

bsa_bob 04-01-2011 11:31 AM

Im' having a rough time with this...it jus
 
My 49 merc has a f-150 box[77] rebuilt.It has a heidts flow pressure vave in it from a chevy p/s pump. I can't get the wander out of it.it wants to dart, a guy told me to cut the spring in half in the pump, and it would work lowering the pressure ofthe chevy pump. What is wrong i'm not getting anywhere, the box is the second rebuilt one. Any headaches like this before .any help will be a small blessing.as i am running out of patience .on this merc :mad: . bobs :)

slow4dr 04-01-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob
My 49 merc has a f-150 box[77] rebuilt.It has a heidts flow pressure vave in it from a chevy p/s pump. I can't get the wander out of it.it wants to dart, a guy told me to cut the spring in half in the pump, and it would work lowering the pressure ofthe chevy pump. What is wrong i'm not getting anywhere, the box is the second rebuilt one. Any headaches like this before .any help will be a small blessing.as i am running out of patience .on this merc :mad: . bobs :)


Post up your alignment settings

It might be your descriptions(darting/wandering) but I think it might be more alignment related than anything.

If the pump is producing too much pressure for the rack the car will be extremely sensitive to steering wheel input.

Front tire width, weight on the front axle, steering wheel diameter, and caster all play a major role in the statement above.

I might just be misinterpreting your descriptions but this issue is different than darting/wandering.

-J

crownver 04-01-2011 12:15 PM

What kind of steering set up do you have in it that could use a box out of a '77?

crownver 04-01-2011 12:19 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of a pick up.

bsa_bob 04-01-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow4dr
Post up your alignment settings

It might be your descriptions(darting/wandering) but I think it might be more alignment related than anything.

If the pump is producing too much pressure for the rack the car will be extremely sensitive to steering wheel input.

Front tire width, weight on the front axle, steering wheel diameter, and caster all play a major role in the statement above.

I might just be misinterpreting your descriptions but this issue is different than darting/wandering.

-J


Thi is a f-150 1977 ford steering box. not a rack

Castor is within specs, has all new trick tie-rod [fatman fabrication parts]set up,----- all parts are new, or rebuilt, between the front wheels

enjenjo 04-01-2011 01:54 PM

It's the alignment, not the pump. The box, and the pump are both made by Saginaw, and are compatible. With certain engines the Saginaw pump was used from the factory.

bsa_bob 04-01-2011 02:17 PM

I have been told. A chevy pump carries 1200 psi and the ford pickup box carries a 800 psi. The pump i guess overwhelms the steering box.Its all fatman fab parts {'all kustom}underneath,. Theres a simple answer .i jus ain't pickin up on it. I will go and have the alignment checked next week. Shops in genral set the toe-in and thats it.You still get charged the full amount i have done this twice, and $100.00 a pop is killin me. in michigan i am told. bob s

bsa_bob 04-01-2011 04:51 PM

I called heidts. in chicago. He told me to adjust the valve[theirs] 7 turns out not in.. I did and it seemed to be getting in the groove FINALLY .Bleed the winter air out of the brakes and try it tomorrow, should be nice .think i got it!!!!yaayyyyyyyyyyy probably gettin to pre-mature as usuall thanks all her for your opinions and help bob s :thumbup:

slow4dr 04-04-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob
Thi is a f-150 1977 ford steering box. not a rack

Castor is within specs, has all new trick tie-rod [fatman fabrication parts]set up,----- all parts are new, or rebuilt, between the front wheels


Sorry for getting ahead of myself and typing "rack" but the same principal applies for a box. Like you mentioned above the Chevy pump creates too much pressure for the Ford racks or boxes.

I still think it is more alignment related than too much pressure. Of course running less pressure may help but is just masking the real issue.

Caster is in within whose specs? What is actual?

-J

cobalt327 04-04-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob
I called heidts. in chicago. He told me to adjust the valve[theirs] 7 turns out not in.. I did and it seemed to be getting in the groove FINALLY .Bleed the winter air out of the brakes and try it tomorrow, should be nice .think i got it!!!!yaayyyyyyyyyyy probably gettin to pre-mature as usuall thanks all her for your opinions and help bob s :thumbup:

I would still check the toe in- that's prolly what would be off (as in not enough toe in) w/the description you gave, IMO.

bsa_bob 04-06-2011 01:24 PM

Well no good news the car still wants to wander a bit,I'm going with a couple of different wide whites. I have coker tires on it.This would be typical of "cokers" stuff.Diamond backs ..i hear they are good tires compared to the Cokers.

Am really stumped!!!!!!!!! i'm almost to the point of clipping it wit a nova front clip.This is one way i don't really want to go....it will tie up the kar along time, being on the verge of summer now, in michigan.
I'm startin to get po'd

Two8tyThree 04-06-2011 01:36 PM

Caster needs to be a least 3 degrees for Power steering. The factory setting is +1/2 degree was for manual steering.

bsa_bob 04-06-2011 02:46 PM

Thank you 283. bob s :thumbup:

Two8tyThree 04-13-2011 08:18 PM

Bob, how did your front suspension work out?
Just curious.

TC

bsa_bob 04-13-2011 08:27 PM

IRESET THE FRONT END adjusted the castor and the heidts valve, i still have a minor bit of slack in the steering but i will have a shop realin it again. I think its going to work out ok.sorry i didn't get back thanks for asking bob s


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.