I'm Leaving Hotrodders.com - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Cubic Inches is King

Last journal entry: High Resolution Drawings
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm Leaving Hotrodders.com

Thank you to all the nice people here that have made this a good experience.

I emailed forums@hotrodders.com and asked to please delete and terminate my account from the hotrodders.com forums.

Reason: The Gas Monkey Garage situation is totally out of hand and not representative of the way I conduct myself either personally or professionally.

The front page of the hotrodders.com website is headlined with "Disturbing Situation with Gas Monkey Garage". That link takes me to a page plastered with photographs that I find offensive and in extremely poor taste. Further, there is an attack underway that could lead to legal problems involving libel or slander. This type of conduct is not representing my vision of being a good HotRodder or person.

Count me out.

Jon P
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I'm sorry you feel that way..........
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 PM

Last journal entry: 1949 Chevy PU 3/4t barn find
Last photo:

After veiwing the link that Hot Rodders home page is supplying, I understand the point of not taking it and bitting back, I also understand that some people can be very deceitfull and manipulative, but I wonder if all this banter and wasted posting space is actually giving them what they wanted in the first place. Free plublicity and word of mouth is priceless.
This topic has had too much time. Disregard these individuals and the others that get drawn into the banter and lets get back to what I liked about the site in the first place.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Back to hot rods bro. Thats why we're all here. Skip the lounge if you dont have thick skin.

Mike
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Our promotion of our parody material has now resulted in SEMA presenting an official communication to us which indicates that they will no longer be associating themselves with Gas Monkey Garage. This is discussed in this thread: official response from SEMA.

Thus, by exposing this information to our membership, we have prevented its exposure to a larger audience.

Many, many people have publicly voiced their agreement with us. A very small percentage have disagreed. Nevertheless, they have been allowed a free and open stage for voicing their opinions.

I am perceiving this as a huge victory for our website, and for the entire American hotrodding community. We have sent a message, and we have been heard. By our efforts, fewer people will be exposed to such tripe.

We also now have a direct line of communication to the President of SEMA's public relations company. A huge gain for any automotive website, and a guarantee that our voices will be heard in the future.

I've never been more proud of the dedication, wisdom, and hard work of our members.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

From the front page:

"Click here for the Crankshaft Coalition Wiki"
(free hotrodding encyclopedia)

"Hot Rod Search -- search 1,900+ hot rod websites."

"Hotrodders Knowledge Base -- search 1,500+ hot rod tech articles and information sources."

Then, from the "Bulletin Board" link:

"Hotrodders Bulletin Board Statistics
Threads: 91,966, Posts: 659,511, Members: 46,601"

Now, from all of that, not even getting into the Project Journals, Photo Gallery, Classifieds and Company Reviews, you pick a couple of threads and a couple of pages with which to condemn Hotrodders.com.

A certain ancient phrase about eyes, motes and logs comes to mind. Spare me from such friends.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Come on guys. Cut Elegant a bit of slack. If he wants to leave on the basis of a couple of threads that he finds offensive, that's his right. We stood for our rights to not be trolled and spammed, and now he's standing up for his right to be eliminated from the forum. It takes the same guts to do either, and if he leaves, it's our loss as well as his.

In a while, Chet.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I guess you wil have to find a place where everyone gets along with everyone all the time...Good luck. (I hear CHR is a hoppin hangout..hhahaha)

I had many of the same concerns as you regarding the legal aspect of this situation. I was educated , By Jon, (thank you)and am no longer worried about that part. I trust his judgement on that one. I understand he has had extensive dealings with the legalities regarding freedom of speech issues.

If you can't stop looking at the things in our world that offend you, you will be offended often.

I was the first guy to respond to gas monkey garages post.

I stopped posting in it because I thought things were getting out of hand also, and the direction it was going might not be a good place for a guy like me (who owns an automotive fabrication shop, and has ties to the business end of this industry), to follow. Some members treated it like a circus. Some treated it like a witch hunt. Ultimately though you need to fight dirty with more dirty. The braver individuals stepped forward to do that.
(I need to say here that I'm not chicken, I have been doing my part to keep it honest and real for many years in my business and in my life.)

I never thought about leaving this site. I just didn't participate openly in the events that weren't being conducted the way I was comfortable with.

Jon and the other members who are diligently persuing exposure of the men and ideals behind the continual degradation and commercialization of our hobby, should be commended.

When they win the battle we shall all reap the rewards.

By the way, this is still the best automotive and hotrod website on the 'net. No ads, intelligent members who are willing to help, and no phoney attitude.

My dad says, If ya gotta go, you can't stay.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 09-06-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

How long have you hung around here again before coming to this decision? Seriously, you can't just base this site on something such as the rare GMG incident. This is lounge material, you can simply just avoid this section of the site all together if the thong pictures are too hard on your eyes.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM

schnitz is correct in that he has every right to publicly express his opinion, and to come and/or go as he chooses.

Nevertheless, everyone must understand that by exposure of this information to our members, we prevent exposure of it to the majority of public hotrodding culture. SEMA indicating that these guys won't be at a SEMA show is a huge victory. I'd happily put on a black "Spank My Monkey" thong myself if that would result in this garbage being dropped from a SEMA show.

Regarding past, current, or future talk of slander/libel -- in the future, I would prefer it if such allegations were accompanied by a link to a specific incident of such events on our site, and a reference to the section of state or federal code that indicates that we are breaking the law.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thank you Jon

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 09-06-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: edit out non relevant question that jon answers in the next post.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 PM

powerrodsmike -- not at all directed at you.

If someone can demonstrate legal evidence that indicates we have slandered or libelled anyone, I will be happy to look at it, analyze it, and give my opinion.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantInventor
Thank you to all the nice people here that have made this a good experience.

I emailed forums@hotrodders.com and asked to please delete and terminate my account from the hotrodders.com forums.

Reason: The Gas Monkey Garage situation is totally out of hand and not representative of the way I conduct myself either personally or professionally.

The front page of the hotrodders.com website is headlined with "Disturbing Situation with Gas Monkey Garage". That link takes me to a page plastered with photographs that I find offensive and in extremely poor taste. Further, there is an attack underway that could lead to legal problems involving libel or slander. This type of conduct is not representing my vision of being a good HotRodder or person.

Count me out.

Jon P

It is really nice to see that some people with integrity and intestinal fortitude populate (or DID populate) this forum. It really takes some guts to stand up and take an unpopular position, and my hat is off to Jon and some of the others who are not afraid of the comments of the "cheerleaders" who have their noses stuck where the sun never shines. I think Jon has done irrevokable damage to this forum, and needs to resign his post to someone with more maturity and ethics.

Thank you and my hat is off to each of you.

Hope that wasn't too long-winded.

Don
Attached Images

Last edited by donsrods; 09-06-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What's the matter Don?
Is CHR down again and you are bored?

Remember? that's why you signed up here in the first place.

I really think that when people post a big "I'm leaving" song, it is really because they want someone to ask them to stay.

Later, mikey

Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

sorry you decided to leave, but i understand a person has to do what they feel is right. too bad you don't see what i do here. mostly i lurk, and read and learn. there are people here who are very talented and probably the best source of info on the web. you will miss out on that, but perhaps you will find someplace better.

as far as the owners of the website fighting back, i feel they have every right to do so. we are all guests of the owners, and ought to respect their property. if you disrespect my place, then there are consequences.

as to the pictures of these so-called "bad boys", i found them amusing. amusing that some dip****s think they are the "anti-christ of rodding", (hilarious), and they didn't think to install a roll of quarters in the g-strings first. maybe a cold day.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.