I'm a little confused. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm a little confused.

I'm working on a 454 motor and this is the first motor I've rebuilt completely.
I'm at a point where I'm installing the Crankshaft and I'm trying to go step by step from the Haynes Techbook Cheverolet Engine Overhaul Manual. I'm right now at the step where I'm putting the main caps back on. But here is the confusing part.

Step 30 Tighten all except the rear cap bolts (the one with the thrust bearing) to the specified torque (work from the center out and approach the final torque in three steps)

This step is pretty self explanitory. Tighten all caps except the rear cap and do it in three steps.

Step 31 Tighten the third cap bolts finger tight.

Step 32 Pry the crankshaft forward against the thrust surface of the upper half of the bearing.

Step 33 Hold the crankshaft forward and pry the thrust bearing cap to the rear. While retaining the forward preasure on the crankshaft, tighten the caps bolts to specification.

Step 34 Retighten all main bearing caps to the specified torque, starting with the center main and working out torwards the ends.

Step 31 is where I'm completely thrown off. According to step 30 the third bolt caps which would be the middle one should be already tight. It's almost like they're telling me another way of doing it compared to step 30.

Any of you have any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 PM
boatbob2

torque........

HI,the book is telling you to RE-CHECK the torque on those cap bolts,because they MAY have lost torque as the crank is moved forward,doesnt make a lot of sense to me,but,do it anyway to be sure of the correct torque values.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

i just tighten the main cap bolts starting in the middle and in two steps. and never any trouble with any engines ive assembled. haynes manuals are pretty screwy often.

good luck
Old 05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Rob Here!

Sometimes you will find the directions are a bit confusing & contradicting.

When in Doubt research it on the interwebification on your lappitty tappitty box.

As for me I always over check my torque's just because one time {was not me}I had #5 rod on a 250 Chevy six come loose 2 weeks after start up because the guy missed it by having to serve someone on the full service island.

I also like to check my torque wrenches against others as often as possible.

Remember to always rest to zero when not in use.{in you tool box or more than 1 hour of time}.

Good luck

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

book

Those book use generic info. They are less then steller for really helping you out. That description is for a Ford engine, even though you have a chevy manual. The proof reader probably don't know the difference between a engine and a garage door opener.

This is what i have done since 1979 when i started building engines.

Snug all the main bolts, all 5 caps. Take a soft/ plastic hammer and tap the crank foward and backward in the block. This will SET the thrust bearing. Check the crank end play, then torque to the final value. You can sneek up on it, but in all the engines that i have built i go right for the final torque and never hand any issues what-so-ever.

Keith
Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Book

Snug all the main bolts, all 5 caps. Take a soft/ plastic hammer and tap the crank foward and backward in the block. This will SET the thrust bearing. Check the crank end play, then torque to the final value. You can sneek up on it, but in all the engines that i have built i go right for the final torque and never hand any issues what-so-ever.

So what you're saying is snug all the bolts to where the bottom face of the bolt is touching the face of the cap tap the rear with soft hammer gently of course and then tap it in the front until the end play is where it should be. Next torque all bolts from the center (third cap) and then the fourth, secound, fifth, and first caps in one step, correct? I hope the rest of the steps for puting the engine together isn't this confusing or you may see me back, lol.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Haynes strikes again. I have found several times where my Haynes either doesn't explain something completely or even completely omits info. It seems like they assume a person can read between the lines. Now I only refer to mine for specs, etc.
In my opinion, there are much better shop manuals out there.
Terry
Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

These are the type of situations that take you from "parts changer" to "Mechanic"

Make you tuff ,grow hair on your chest {& loose the hair on your head}

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73DD189

So what you're saying is snug all the bolts to where the bottom face of the bolt is touching the face of the cap tap the rear with soft hammer gently of course and then tap it in the front until the end play is where it should be. Next torque all bolts from the center (third cap) and then the fourth, secound, fifth, and first caps in one step, correct? I hope the rest of the steps for puting the engine together isn't this confusing or you may see me back, lol.

Thanks for the info.
When i say snug, i am talking hand tight with a rachet. Maybe 10 ft lbs.

After setting the thrust bearing you can torque them in any process that makes you feel good. BTW, don't forget some oil on the bolt threads and make sure both the bolts and the holes are clean.

Keith
Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73DD189
I'm working on a 454 motor and this is the first motor I've rebuilt completely.
I'm at a point where I'm installing the Crankshaft and I'm trying to go step by step from the Haynes Techbook Cheverolet Engine Overhaul Manual. I'm right now at the step where I'm putting the main caps back on. But here is the confusing part.

Step 30 Tighten all except the rear cap bolts (the one with the thrust bearing) to the specified torque (work from the center out and approach the final torque in three steps)

This step is pretty self explanitory. Tighten all caps except the rear cap and do it in three steps.

Step 31 Tighten the third cap bolts finger tight.

Step 32 Pry the crankshaft forward against the thrust surface of the upper half of the bearing.

Step 33 Hold the crankshaft forward and pry the thrust bearing cap to the rear. While retaining the forward preasure on the crankshaft, tighten the caps bolts to specification.

Step 34 Retighten all main bearing caps to the specified torque, starting with the center main and working out torwards the ends.

Step 31 is where I'm completely thrown off. According to step 30 the third bolt caps which would be the middle one should be already tight. It's almost like they're telling me another way of doing it compared to step 30.

Any of you have any suggestions?
A Boiler Plate error. Boiler Plate being writings done for one thing that are plagiarized for something else. In this case the original instruction was for an engine that takes thrust at the number 3 main like a Ford. The Boiler Plate was then modified by a person for an engine that takes thrust on the rear main, but they forgot to remove step 31 and renumber.

Bogie
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks

I asked my dad about this and he thought that step 31 should've been removed. I'll just pray that everything else goes smooth and self explanitory while puting this engine back together.

Wha are some other books out there that are better than this Haynes book?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.