which block is better for the money

• dart lil "m"

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • world products "motown"

Votes: 0 0.0%

i'm looking for a better 400 s chevy block

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick WI 
#1 ·
i have a 406 with pro 1 heads, i'm putten a 4340 steel crank & rods, forged flat tops, with a solid roller cam. i was told the other day that when i put the nitrous to it, the bottom end will give out. so i'm looking for a block that can take 800 hp. i'm pushing around 525 without the nitrous, & planning on shooting a 250 shot of n2o. my 4 bolt block, as i'm told won't take that kind of power, & a 2 bolt with splayed caps wouldn't be much better. so i need a block that can handle 800 hp.

where can i look for a new non-bowtie 400 block? i did a search & couldn't find anything.

which block is better, the dart lil m, or the motown? why?

what are my options

#2 ·
bottom ends

I run 600hp 409 sbc. solid roller, Brodix heads. I have never seen a SBC with the mainn caps broken or distorted. The problem you will most likely have is main bearing failure, due to the enormous loads they will have on them. You may want to talk to Gene Fulton in SC He builds the baddest SBC around these parts. Try a search engine for Fulton racing. Whatever he uses will work. His engins are legendary.He has one of his engins in a 64 pro mod vette that does 4.0 in 1/8 That has to be 1000+ hp. Good luck.

#3 ·
outer limits

You will be pushing the limit @ 800hp, If you plan on putting it in the M/C, you will need some serious traction enhancments. 4 link at least back half, better full tube chassis/ with engine setback.etc.....then about halfway down the track when your no2 comes on, I would suggest that it comes on at a given rpm..with an activated switch..that way you will not have to loosen your grip on the sterring wheel. It will be difficult to get a heavy car like the M/C to stop from spinning again. These Mustang boys down here are using blowers, turbos, and no2. Every week they get closer and closer to crashing. Very few are able to make full passes without getting out of throttle. It makes exitment for the spectaters....but if you can't harness the power it is unusable....Our race team has a rule....." If you have to get off the gas..stay off the gas" getting back on half track without a rubber build up like the start is asking for trouble. Every week I watch these idiots pop gas and get on and of the gas all the way down the track. If you want to win..just be consistant. Of course you could drop 800hp in a Rear engine dragstrer. Play safe, have fun!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.