Im looking for a little "schooling"... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

well,Mr.T, I just got back from the tech school they have a coarse for me..printing/graphics technology.There is a book at the library on photo shop( wish it was photoshop for dummies)but it supposed to take you from the begining,I really need a book so I can read while tring out what I'm reading without going back and fouth on the computor,also I can print out instructions(well my wife can do it for me) but were out of black ink.all the books are great but I really need someone showing me(I'm a little thick headed) so the books will help till the course starts,but I'm sure in a day or two I'll have some questions for you but right now I dont want to seem like a TOTAL idiot. (I am but feel no need to prove it)I've already wore my wife out learning email ,copy and paste and resizing pictures.she has no more patience for me so I'm on my own here but I really want to learn this stuff.right now my biggest problem is taking a picture from my computor and putting it on the gimp program,i'm starting with gimp till I get a little comfortable I havet even popped in the photo shop yet but I wanted it just in case I got brave,so I'm off to the library,I'll be back Thanks for the responce its always nice to know someone will help if need be

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
new pontiac owner

Last journal entry: start of teardown
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

honestly

I will tell you personally the best way to learn photoshop in my opinion is to look up a cool trick or look you want to do and try it. Most tutorials will walk you through it as if you have never touched the program with alot of pics of what you will actually see on your screen. You will absorb more if you are doing cool stuff that gets you hooked versus a book that wants you to draw a line, now erase, now do a curved line....thats so boring you forget half what you learned doing it. Try and tackle a whole project and you can incorporate several effects to one picture. If you have a pic of your car and you want to do it up find all the effects you would like to do and do it. Dont get overwhelmed thinking wow ive never done this cuz it will walk you through and its amazing how much you retain that way.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
new pontiac owner

Last photo:

heres some quick examples

heres a couple of things i tossed together in the past after doing overalls on customers cars for a wall paper for there desktop. There nothing super elaborate but just quick and pretty cool to do really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ranchero.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	40121   Click image for larger version

Name:	41 willys.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	40122  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
my biz coupe ,I'm just now finishing up was a little ugly
Here's another UGLY BC- but an icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High & Mighty.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	40124  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
hahaha,it might have lost its rear fenders but at least it didnt get its doors blown off.loosing that grill would shed 100lbs hehehe
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Better look out Cobalt...that's Billy Shope's car. He was a part of the Ram Chargers crew and was the original designer of the suspension. It may not look like all that much, but that car was a major milestone for all of us who raced in those days and those who still race today.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:20 AM

Also just for everyones benefit I have nothing against plymouths I was just cracking a joke. I just wouldnt want to start a brand war...lol......[/QUOTE] I dont think that could ever happen,LOL. The one thing we all have in common is a love for all old cars,we do have our favorites but they are ALL cool, holly smokes cboy ,I thought you were around my age...and cobalt, were neighbors,I better start paying more attention.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-20-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
It may not look like all that much
You are preaching to the choir, cboy. I know the car- well. Have cited it previously (on this forum and others) in re being the forerunner of the long ram intake as well as the first "Ramcharger" skunkwerks race car.

We had a '61 300 w/the 413 long ram 2 x 4 in '62- when the car in the photo (a repop, BTW) was still around.

So anyone who thinks it blasphemous of me to call it ugly, oh well. Fact is, it IS damn ugly- but- as I said- AN ICON.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
hahaha,it might have lost its rear fenders but at least it didnt get its doors blown off.loosing that grill would shed 100lbs hehehe
The grill looks worse that it is, weight-wise. But they needed something to preserve the spacing of the front fenders and give some integrity to the front sheet metal, else it would have flapped like a flatulent sea gull as it went down the track.

The car pictured is a "duplication" of the original. Not a forgery per se, but definitely sanitized as compared to the original car- that original car was rougher than this cleaned-up version.

I don't care for "clones" or "tributes" that much at all, but I suppose in this case something is better than nothing but old photographs.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I know the car- well.
I figured so. I was joking around because Billy Shope is a member and frequent contributer in the suspension forum here on HR.Com. Some newer (or younger) members who don't know the history might look at that car and think oh, yeah, that's just some ugly old heap. But as you say, the car was filled with innovative ideas and a forerunner to many of the advanced designs we commonly see in race cars today.

So no offense was directed your way Cobalt.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I figured so. I was joking around because Billy Shope is a member and frequent contributer in the suspension forum here on HR.Com. Some newer (or younger) members who don't know the history might look at that car and think oh, yeah, that's just some ugly old heap. But as you say, the car was filled with innovative ideas and a forerunner to many of the advanced designs we commonly see in race cars today.

So no offense was directed your way Cobalt.
Thanks, no offense taken.

Do you think the suspension work they did, although unseen for the most part, was every bit as important than the all-too-visible intake/exhaust set-up?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Do you think the suspension work they did, although unseen for the most part, was every bit as important than the all-too-visible intake/exhaust set-up?
I'm sure one could get a lot of debate on that question, but my personal opinion is that the suspension engineering was probably more important than the intake/exhaust modification AND had a greater overall impact on the future of drag racing and chassis engineering.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 PM
new pontiac owner

Last photo:

Fill me in

so since im just a young buck here i dont know about that car at all. Did he run a stock motor or what was in it?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern_twist
so since im just a young buck here i dont know about that car at all. Did he run a stock motor or what was in it?
This can get you started. Google terms like "ramchargers drag racing" or "ramchargers racing team" etc. to get as much history as you want.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM

this may be a little interesting for a few guys...while living in Fla. I lived about a 1/2 mile from big daddy,don gartlits I knew him and hes been at my shop a few times..the first time we met he was running for congress a short guy ,im only 5'6" and hes shorter than me I couldnt believe I was shaking his hand I grew up building models of his cars he was my childhood hero...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.