Hot Rod Forum banner

i'm mentally challenged

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  engineczar 
#1 ·
i hate dodge and i hate four cylinders.
so for my new project im getting a 88 shadow with a 2.2 turbo for free. i am getting a comp cam .499 lift not sure of the other spec's (mopar performance cam's for this motor have a bad rep of wiping out early) mopar performance computer, exhaust and some added boost.(after the new head gasket of course)
along with the other basics springs etc...
it's my winter beater

#3 ·
um question.
im stupid to the point im building a 2.2 do i really need a question?
ok what other mod's for this rare gem?

should i put huge mickey thompson slicks on the front and drag skinny's on the back??
a butthole muffler? neon lights? cool slick graphics?
sorry i got caught up in the 4 banger moment.
im getting a cat back dynomax system.
btw im not doing this to think im hot shi* im doing it to see what happens and to be different im not expecting 300 hp or anything stupid like that.

#5 · (Edited)
i found a site that has a complete buildup to reach 300 hp and 498 ft pds torque!
imagine that torque steer? car would pull you off the road.

Intake Exhaust
Valve Adjustment 0 0
Gross Valve Lift 0.499 0.499
Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 260 260

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.05
Open Close
Intake -1 39
Exhaust 43 -5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 110 Intake CL
Intake Exhaust
Duration At 0.05 218 218
Lobe Lift 0.29 0.29
Lobe Separation 112

thats the cam

#8 ·
badknuckles said:
i am getting a comp cam .499 lift not sure of the other spec's (mopar performance cam's for this motor have a bad rep of wiping out early)
Just so you know, the MP 2.2/2.5 cams are actually sourced from Comp. Be careful with cams, these motors do not respond very well to larger than stock cams, increased overlap=increased reversion due to small turbos and poor exhaust manifolds with these poor flowing heads. There are lots of 300+ hp Turbo Dodges running around on the stock cam or one from an '88 2.2 TBI motor.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the Dynomax cat-back. Unless something has changed recently, its only 2.25" and not that well-made.

An '88 2.2 will have the lightweight rods. That, along with the tiny Mitsubishi turbo, will be the biggest limitation to making big power. The heavier 87-up Turbo 2 (I'm assuming yours is a Turbo I - no intercooler) and the 84-87 Turbo I rods are good to 400+ hp ( I have a video of Gary D snapping a rod on his 2.5 with stock T2 rods at 444 hp at the wheels).

#10 ·
Dude, these turbo 2.2's SUCK!

And I can say this cause I own one. They are total dogs off the line, I mean REAL freaking slow! The turbo does'nt even start kicking in till about 2,500 or so it feels like.

I dont hate all 4 cylinders, I love the 2.6L in my amigo, lots of torque when the valves and timing are set right. I hope to find a cheap 92 or so rodeo 2 wheel drive with a 2.6 in it to replace my amigo, and just play with the 2.6. I really love these motors. I also love the fact that I can chirp the wheels in a 1-2 shift on my amigo without even really trying. I also want the rodeo to be an automatic, tired of this manual.

I'm sure the little Iron duke could be made to produce some power as well, but the 2.2 just plain sucks.

#12 ·
all im spending is 50 bucks for a head gasket and 116 for the cam.
the rest is all stupid crap i'll do myself like disconnect the boost control solenoid. as for the exhaust im doing that for fun also. i want to see what this little craprod will do. if i kill the damn thing it doesnt really matter.:thumbup:
im not hoping for 300 hp i just want to have alittle fun with a car im getting free.

#15 ·
a couple of things to watch for. 1988 could be either slider cam or roller cam, check before ordering. Also look at the drivers end of the head, if it's stamped OSJ then your s.o.l. as far as a cam change goes. The cam journals are oversize and a aftermarket cam will have way too much clearance and your oil pressure will be near zero. Mopars way of not throwing out the junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.