i'm new to the crowd. help me out guys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2002, 02:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post i'm new to the crowd. help me out guys

well i'm not sure if i really belong here. i love hotrods but as far as my own projects i'm more of a truck guy. i just bought a 78 chevy K20. it has a 455 olds in it. seems to run real well (except for a slight exhaust leak) i haven't dealt with any olds engines at all. so to begin with what is the diff between the rocket and whatever else was offered? mine is a rocket, so i'm told. i have no idea what it came out of first. what does the 455 usually run as far as HP and torque if it's pretty much stock? i'm pretty sure the guys that did this didn't use an adapter to mount it up to the transmission. so i'm guessing its the transmission that was with the engine to begin with. and guesses to what it might be? or how can i look and tell.
i have access to another olds 455 that's in a 1976 olds ninety eight of my grandfathers. would you suggest keeping that motor around for parts or should i look somewhere else if they are ever needed?
well thanks for any help. sorry for all the questions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Don`t be sorry for questions. This is the right place. If these guys and gals can`t answer your questions they will know who can. Welcome. But i don`t have any answers for ya. Try and get a hold of the Madd synergit on here. I think he runs the same engine.
Slider in Wa.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:32 PM

Talking

Darn truck guys!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

Hey man whats up?
Unless that motor is a 70" W-30 455, it probably isn't a power house, however, they have a buttload of torque. Check out Mondello. They are the olds masters.
My Dad and I are working on two trucks bolth 1972 shorty's, ones close to stock with a 350/350 combo and the other has a 402/400 turbohydramatic.
the big block is awesome, I dig trucks to man.
V-8 rear wheel drive, it's all good.
oh, that W-30 was rated a 370 h.p. and 510 ft.lbs. of torque!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Oldsmobile engines were designed to move large land yachts down the highway, they are quite different from chevrolets.
The 455, is an undersquare engine, and has a 4.125 inch bore and a 4.25 inch stroke. Obviously, they produce lots of low speed power, they are durable, and fairly compact for their displacement. The 455, 425 and 400 cubic inch Oldsmobiles are all of the tall deck design, while the 260,330,350 and 403 are virtually identical with a lower deck.
Heads will interchange from the small block olds and big block olds, intake manifolds will not.
Building a 455 Olds is straightforward, but they do require oiling system modifications if they are to be turned over 4500 RPM on a regular basis.
A good running 455, with stock intake, Q-Jet, free breathing exhaust and a good camshaft will make 400 horsepower easily along with 500 plus foot-pounds of torque, all around 5200 RPM, and the engine will be smooth.
Use a deep sump oil pan, a performance oil pump, and restrict oil flow to the camshaft via Main restrictors or re-drilling the camshaft bearings and grooving them. This keeps the oil downstairs on those big main bearings, which, if neglected can give you trouble on the big Olds motor. Choosing a cam for an Olds is a little different than a small block chevy, so contact Mondello on cam recommendations. Factory heads that work well are the "C" castings and the "J" castings, the W-30s are great but are very rare.
Edelbrock builds a W-30 version head in aluminum, and would be a great choice if you wanted to spend the extra bucks.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:48 PM

Back in 1978 GM used the 5.7 diesel for there diesel trucks these had an Olds trans behind them, Many of those old 5.7 were changed out for gas engines as they were a poooor diesel, this could be why it has the Olds engine instead of a Chevy.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.