I'm no expert, but.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: Roller Rockers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm no expert, but....

... is there something major wrong with the front suspension on this car? Scariest ever, perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1931-...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

That is an interesting setup. Is that off the shelf tubing used? I hope those are at least Grade 8 bolts holding the axle on.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:

I think that no matter what that tubing is it will crack and break before it gets around the block.

Those tie rods ends have some give but not enough and those bolts through the holes in the tubing will act as knives and split that tubing as it twists.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looks more provisional than functional.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Really guys, it is hoky, but what is the difference between that and hairpin radious rods? If that tubing is seamless and thick enough wall, it will work. There is some binding, and the I beam axle will help with that. But honestly, it is not that much different than the zillions of cars that have been built with hairpin radious rods, split wishbones and tie rods ends stuck on them.

Brian
Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If that tubing was 1/4" maybe, my mouse will zoom in on pictures and that is some very thin wall tube. My guess is the first time the brakes are applied suddenly (if it ends up with brakes) it is going to break at the rear bolts.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I see the reason for the disclamer in the text,, not only because of the paperwork but the libality if it was sold for anything other than parts,, that is plain spooky,,, but there ar FOOLS out there that will think that this is the newest trick suspension,, bill
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

I will never for the life of me understand the attraction of so-called "rat rods." I have yet to see one in person - okay, there are a couple of coupes around here that are in primer only, but I don't think that counts as a rat - but from the pictures I've seen, all I can think is, "Well, he has the raw material there to take it all apart and do it right."

Some might be saying, "Hey, at least he has a rod - what are you driving?" I'm driving an old El Camino that will pass any safety inspection thrown its way, and it's not dropping big flakes of rust, or any other parts, behind it as it chugs down the street. No, I'm not suggesting that I'm better than anyone else is. I just don't see the attraction in driving a rolling eyesore.

Then we see something like the "car" presented in the link above, and it just proves the safety concern. I'm wondering if it'll even support the weight of an engine.

I really couldn't care less if some mope decided to take himself out by building a suspension out of something that looks like electrical conduit. The sad part is that he will probably take some innocent kid on a bicycle with him when his "custom suspension" comes apart while he's doing a donut at a 4-way stop to impress his friends. Assuming, of course, anyone ever gets it on the road.

I'm sorry I got on this soapbox, but I figure there's already a lot of bad mechanic work being done out there - why do we have to add to it on purpose?

Okay, I ran my mouth and I know it. I know I'll get flamed bigtime for this, but I think it needed to be said. Say to me what you will, but you can't convince me that the POS shown in that ad should ever be allowed on the street in its current configuration.

Climbing off the soapbox and reaching for the asbestos drawers…
Old 06-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Last journal entry: Roller Rockers
Last photo:

I'm with you. The joke has gotten waaaaay out of hand.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 PM

This kind of garbage is typical of what you will find on eBay and other sources on the net as well as your local swap meets.
Folks who just stick anything together in any way, usually the grosser and rottener the better, to take advantage of the massive amount of loose money in the pockets of other folks who don't know anything about cars, early or late, and just can't wait to get into the "ratrod scene" or the "rat lifestyle" or whatever they call it now.
It's an immoral and pathetic, though lucrative, way to make a buck out of raw desire and ignorance, and oh boy, there is a lot of that around these days.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I have to admit, I had a brain fart on this one. These pipes are NOT like a "Hairpin radious rod" or "Split bones". They are in a sense but would be very weak right at the axle. They may "hold the axle on" in a static display OR if you never put the brakes on! I agree when what has been said, when applying the brakes they would FOLD.

Guys, I know we have all grown tired of the cartoonish Ratrod cars that are being built where they actually drive crap like this. But setting something up for sale or display that may be like this is as old as cars themselves.

We DON'T know this guys intent. Let's give him the benifit of a doubt.

Brian
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
We DON'T know this guys intent. Let's give him the benifit of a doubt.

Brian
Thats reasonable,, So I DOUBT he has any clue to what he is doing,, Bill
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

It's all been done before..."back in the day"...

I bought a running 50s built full fendered roadster in 1971 for $700. I came home and was putting on deep dish Keystones and noticed the nut was missing for the pitman arm, and the threaded shaft was hammered & mushroomed over from someone trying to get the arm off. No tools at home, so I tried to drive 12 miles to work to fix it. It fell off half way there but luckily I was going slow and I did not crash. I was shaking for 2 hours at least. I guess the extra load of reversed wheels broke it loose, because it looked like it was run that way for years

The car I really wanted in 1972 was a full fendered 33 Plymouth coupe with a mint rustfree body done in black laquer and a 283. It was $500 because he went off into a ditch after the front axle tore off messing up the front fenders. They had welded 2 four bolt plates to the I-beam axle for spring mount relocation, and the welds let go. That car is still in this area today and is mint....but fixed correctly. I couldn't come up with the measley $500.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I guess that is how you figure out what works and what doesn't, try it and if it lasts then its good, if it breaks beef it up. Maybe he has no clue what he is doing but he'll never figure it out if he doesn't try SOMETHING. I thought that was one of core parts of being a hotrodder.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Last photo:

What is really disturbing is someone will buy it and make it steet legal as another moronic rat rod .

Vince

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.