I'm Painting A Door,,,how Do You Blend With Rest Of Truck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 04:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm Painting A Door,,,how Do You Blend With Rest Of Truck?

I am planning on painting a door on a pickup this weekend, and I am wondering what would be the best way to blend it with the box and front fender? The rest of the paint is quite shiny but would it be best to paint a small area on the box and fender,,,, then buff to match and blend in ,,,,,,OR,,,,,, just paint the door and hope it matches? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS.....and GOOD LUCK.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It depends. Did you paint it originally? What color of paint? Metallic or solid? If you painted it do you remember how warm it was, the air pressure you used, and the correct mixing ratio. Did you weigh out the mix or just guesstimate the amount of thinner to paint? Also are you using the same brand of paint that was used before? There are quite a few variables. If it is a solid basic color you might get by painting just the door and having it match. If it is metallic I would paint just the door. If you blend it back into the fender and bed and it doesn't quite match, then you have three panels that will be mismatched and two of them will only be halfway. If it is something along the lines of a silver or something along the lines of a custom candy, etc, I would paint all three panels (fender, door, bedside) This way if it doesn't match you will not be able to notice it. You can only see one side at a time. But that would be my personal preference. I think nothing looks worse than a panel than is mismatched. I keep seeing this fawn metallic car for sale up the highway from me that had the front fender and partial door (blended into the door) painted and it shows a mile away. It makes it look bad.

Kevin
Old 12-05-2003, 06:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If the paint on the truck is bc/cc, and the color mix is close enough to what is on the truck, it can be blended fairly easily. If you are painting the complete door, you can blend onto the fender and rear cab corner. You should not need to go onto the bedside. Basically, blending is done by sanding into the cc on the adjacent panels. When you paint the door, you basically fog onto the adjacent panels with the color. You then clear all panels completely. This will allow the slight color differences to "blend" in with each other. CC should always be done to the whole panel when possible.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.