Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I'm thinking about using a torch to lower the rear of my car...Thoughts on this?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=Ghetto Jet]ericnova- thats what the jack is for, it stops it from dropping too far. And as far as I know if I use a center coil it's shouldn't throw off the spring rate because the center coils don't really have any give to begin with, its all the outer coils, which is why I didn't want to cut one

QUOTE]
No, the jack won't help, it will stop the car body, but remember that the spring is preloaded into the mount, the rest of the spring's tension will continue to collapse the spring but you will have no way to visually see it with the body stopped.

You won't find anyone who will tell you heating is acceptable, there is no "Easy Button" for this job. Do it right or you will be doing it later, heating the spring in the middle is inviting catastrophic failure(breakage). That's not going to help the sheetmetal when the suspension drops at 70 mph on the freeway and puts you into the cement center divider.

$20,000+ car but you can't replace a $100 spring??