I'm thinking this guy has some manly issues... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I currently have the smallest box in the dealership where I work also.
As Ogre said....big boxes at the shop have drawers with only papers and junk in them.
I have a Matco (waterloo) , (see picture) and it is a bottom roller with a full length top drawers and big and small drawers under it side by side.
It is chocked full of tools.90 % snap on because there product works.I also have 8-9 other plastic carry boxes that are not in the box, and a lot of other carry boxes in the tool box. Since the picture I have added a upper shelf with light,power strip, a few charger stands, my scanner satys up there etc.

I could use a bigger box.
I have tools at home, like my sawzall and grinders and other stuff I would like to have at work.I just don't have the secure place to put them.
Did I mention I need a bigger box?
I like this box however...as it fits in the back of my pickup (just barely) cross ways between the rails( against the back of the cab which leave plenty of room for other stuff).I have hauled it cross country a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools and work 006.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	164786  

Advertisement
MARTINSR (08-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
The thing is DO you need a bigger box? Go thru every drawer and look for stuff you haven't used in a year and bring them home. You will very likely see you have a bunch of new space.

It's so funny, back a year or so ago the tool guys came in and had a price war on those little roll around boxes. Something like this..

EVERY single guy in the shop got one! Now, the funny part, they now hardly ever go to their "Condo" tool box! LOLOL they put all the tools they REALLY use in this little roll around the shop, they roll across the shop to the frame rack and stuff like that. But they put all the stuff the REALLY use daily in it and the big box sits there covered with dust and hardly gotten into!

I set up drawers with tools laid out in them and put the most used in the top drawer, second most in the second drawer and so on. I then worked out of the box and moved things around that I found I used more or less according to this plan. I found that a LOT of tools I first put up in the most used didn't get used at all. I am amazed at a few like like the great little offset screwdriverratchet things that I loved so much, they are in the top drawer still today just because I don't feel like changing it being I don't work out of the box every day anymore. But there they are, I THOUGHT I needed them, I VERY seldom do and they should be in the very bottom in the "MUST have but used very rarely" tray. If you start looking at it honestly and leaving all the SAE at home for instance (1/4" and 5/16"are the only two you will ever run into that you can't use a metric on anyway) unless you are doing serious stuff like suspension where you MUST have the right tool for proper torque and all, if you are working on cars made after 1977 you don't need a single SAE tool, yet I see guys with those tools in their roll around cart! Why in the world would a guy have a dual SAE and Metric socket set in this roll around cart, that is taking up space for a tool that he REALLY would use. I got it down, I got it down to JUST the tools I needed every day, and it sure doesn't take a big box! We are talking doing full on body work, replacing quarters and floors and frame rails, doing all the body work, replacing suspension parts, radiators, wiring, glass, doing every single thing needed in the shop, one little roll around box is all it took.

I was just honest with myself, what I didn't REALLY need, went home. I did have one cabinet up on the wall with a few big tools like an 8" Makita grinder and a coil spring compressor and my mig helmet, but other than that, it was ALL in my little box I could roll out in the parking lot and often did.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

This is what the top three drawers of my box look like.

Notice that the air tools that go with the sockets are in that drawer and not in a drawer full of air tools like we did for years. I have many more tools that "could" go in these two top drawers, but did I use them every day, nope, so they weren't there. The standard screw drivers off to the left, realistically those could have been moved to the "seldom used if ever" tray in the bottom drawer, I mean come on, other than for prying or something what is a standard blade driver used for on late model cars?

And the hammer drawer.

Realistically I used most all the dollies regularly but the hammers, omg I used three or for for 90% of the work with a few never touching them for a year or more.

But really, I had to really work to clear out the un-used tools I had in my box, I had to look at myself honestly and move tools out I THOUGHT I really needed, or I had for years so I had an attachment to, but when looking at it honestly had to face the fact that I never used it.

I didn't throw them away, I simply moved them home or to the very bottom of the box where I didn't have to go very often. Now, the funny thing is, I am not using this box at work anymore and when I brought it home, a bunch of stuff got changed, all the metric went out to another little box on my bench and all the SAE went back in because I am working on my old classics out of that box now. I moved my sanding blocks from the "basement" drawer up onto shelf in the garage with the sand paper and filled that drawer with tune up and brake tools and stuff I never used at the body shop at all.

But it wasn't easy, I won't say it was, I had to work hard to remove those tools I had been looking at for years, all the extra clip tools I never used, the extra extensions and ratchets (that "palm ratchet" in the top drawer, it should go, I NEVER use it).

Brian
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

I just noticed, this was when I first did the foam cut outs and they changed seriously changed over time. That second drawer with the old Snap On clip tools just to the right of the "Gear wrenches", those are GONE, LOL, the door handle/window crank clip remover, LOLOLOLOLOL, GONE, that didn't even stay in my tool box at all and went home. Yeah that whole area was redone with a new foam cut for the tools I REALLY needed.

The floppy ratchet with the black handle on it in the top drawer, it got moved home and the torx sockets that I used more got put there, you see what I mean, it's a constant evolution if you want to keep ONLY what you are using in that box.

Brian
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Good food for thought Brian.
I guess I could follow your guidelines for tools that stay or go.
Pretty good thinking.
I still have a bunch of tools that I would have to put somewhere. Problem is, I have a small basement and it is full of tools and Pontiac Parts...
I really need a garage , but that is not gonna happen soon enough...sooo.
I have a roller cart at work ,that I fill with stuff when I am at the car. Saves on trips back and forth and is a good catch all for parts etc.
I guess I should inventory my stuff, and thin the herd.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I bought one before ,I mounted it under my tool cart...Never thought of putting one under the box....great idea...
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

Did you find one for sale now? I can't believe I can't find anything on it.

Brian
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

No,it was years ago,but I do have two drawers from a bent up tool box that are still good,roller bearing slides and everything .They've just been sitting around,now I know what to do with them...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Toolbox

I just think it's really sad that they don't make toolboxes for the vertically challenged like him, he must only be about 3 feet tall.

Max
The Following User Says Thank You to 2themax For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-04-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Where's his Ladder at ??? There's a few dollars in that setup for sure.
it's all fun and games til he has to take out a second mortgage to pay for a tool box out of all things.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I really like that deaw at the bottom ,I'll be stealing that idea for sure.
You can't fill that spot up with a drawer!! That space is reserved for all the lost stuff that you look for and can't find for six years or so.

BB
Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Just saying....

Brian
What A waste of Money...
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

but hey, that box came with a snap on can opener, valued at $50. He's surely getting a deal.

That said, if he's the owner of that shop that would at least make a little sense.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

my box (lower and upper) is 5'10" tall and 6' wide and is chock full, the 2 side boxes 6'x2' are full,the 5 draw cart is full, the 2nd lower box 36"x4' is full and that's with the body working tools in a 4'x3'x3' truck tool box parked in the corner.. and there are still tools I don't have but could use..
Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
but hey, that box came with a snap on can opener, valued at $50. He's surely getting a deal.

That said, if he's the owner of that shop that would at least make a little sense.
some need to look at shops that work on big rigs.. your toy boxes won't cut it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.