impact gun or compressor - whats holding me back - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeweb
wow, lots of good info guys

Would I be better off getting some HVLP 1/4" plugs/couplers or go with regular 3/8" 's?

I have a 50' 3/8" hose w/ 1/4" ends
Just get a good 3/8 hose with 3/8 fittings. Any Home Depot or automotive store will have them. I have a similar compressor to yours and it runs my gun fine. If I have to take out a lot of bolts, I do have to stop and let it
replenish the air presure but other than that it is fine. back to you original question, I am assuming tyou are trying to remove the pinion nut on the rear end. You can greatly increase the power of the gun by holding the yoke with a pipe wrench while trying to remove the nut.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I switched to 3/8" fittings for my HVLP gun.
Was I ever surprised when my impact wrench had almost twice the power.
It made a huge difference.

I had a nut that couldn't be broke loose and took it to the local
tire store and they couldn't break it loose either, even with their best
3/4" impact wrench.
I used a impact socket with a pipe on a 3/4" strong arm and it was easy.
Still works the best, the old fashioned pipe extension.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

T-bucket has a good point, If you don't have that thing off yet be sure and hold the yoke as solid as you can it will make a big difference. Also don't use an extension or a deep socket if you don't have to because the more mass you have in the socket the less torque you will apply to the nut.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:55 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

All that info is correct but why not just use a breaker bar until you get a compressor that will handle the load. Air wrenches haven't been around forever. Use what dad used.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazim
All that info is correct but why not just use a breaker bar until you get a compressor that will handle the load. Air wrenches haven't been around forever. Use what dad used.
I did, even with a cheater bar the nut wouldn't move

I ended up taking it to a shop and they took broke it loose in 1sec

Last edited by mikeweb; 06-01-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

i agree when i was working at a mechanic shop recently, i was taking a tranny out a 93 ford tarus. i had 1 bell housing bolt left and using a 1/2" snap on impact gun. and it wouldnt come off.. i couldt get any closer.. and i was using about a foot long extenstension, swivel and a deep well.. boss man walks over and goes what the #e!! are you doin boy?.. i said.. well " I was TRYING to get this bolt off.. but it wont exactly work.. he said watch this.. he turned the torque all the way up and put a short well socket on.. and popped right out.

all depends on the angle
Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

yep mister old vw mechanic...
lol..
the more extension/extensions you have the more torque is lost thru them..
an extension will wind up and unwind between blows of an impact. also if you ever torque anything together you have to allow for the loss thru the extesion you are using...there is a formula for it...
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer
yep mister old vw mechanic...
also if you ever torque anything together you have to allow for the loss thru the extesion you are using...there is a formula for it...

That formula for extensions on a torque wrench is for off-set "crow foot" sockets to compensate for leverage due to being off center and not regular extensions with a socket, they make no difference as long as they are held straight and not allowed to lean over off center. The reason torque is lost on an impact wrench when an extension is used has nothing to do with wind up it is lost due to the extra mass and weight absorbing the applied torque, more mass requires more power due to inertia. When using a torque wrench it is a common mistake to add extra torque to make up for "twist" or "wind up" in the extension but this is just that a mistake because it is simple laws of physics, what ever force is applied to one end of that extension is exactly what will be exerted on the other end as long as it is kept centered over the fastener.

Last edited by oldred; 06-01-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

what ever force is applied to one end of that extension is exactly what will be exerted on the other end as long as it is kept centered over the fastener.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

what ever force is applied to one end of that extension is exactly what will be exerted on the other end as long as it is kept centered over the fastener.[/QUOTE]

Exactly 100% correct! Hey oldred, wasn't this argued about and hashed and rehashed a year ago or so?

gcrmcc
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

This has been hashed and rehashed for many years and I suppose it will continue to be forever. Even though simple laws of physics have to be ignored for it to be any other way and the fact that the makers of the torque wrenches along with every credible text you will find make it plain that a regular extension does not affect the reading this myth still persists. I think maybe one reason it will not go away is confusion caused by the fact that most torque wrenches come with a table for the lateral extension for a crow foot wrench but of course this is for compensating for the leverage factor because of torquing from off center. Also the fact that an impact loses power when an extension is used has led some to believe that the extension "twists" and causes the problem when in reality it is the extra mass that causes the loss of torque, a really heavy socket would do the same thing.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 AM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

Has anyone seen the torque extensions that tire places use?
I they are a color coded composit material about 6 inches long, and come in 6 different torque setting. available from your local tool supply. you no longer have to adjust your gun,
Old 06-02-2007, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

If you use those torque limiting extensions you first have to determine the gun's torque at the pressure being used to properly use them, they work by absorbing torque through inertia. I have even heard a couple of guys argue that the reason an impact socket is built so heavy is to increase the applied torque from an impact wrench when in fact, due to the extra mass they will actually deliver slightly less torque than a regular lighter socket and are built heavier for strength. The more weight you hang on the end of that impact the more force will be needed to overcome the mass before any is applied to the fastener, think of hitting a baseball with a bat and watch how far it goes then swinging that bat the same speed with the same amount of force hit a lead baseball and see how far it goes.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

and I thought they were just built that way because they were made from cheap steel.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.