Import exhausts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Import exhausts

Any import guys out there? I'v been wondering this for a while now. What's up with the muffler at an angle? Is it just a style thing? Or did you just not feel like making another bend? If anyone can explain this i would really like to know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I think it looks pretty clear just by looking at that picture. The angled muffler makes for smaller bends in the pipe and increases exhaust flow vs the sharper bends that would be required for the muffler to exit straight out the back of the car. Though I'm not sure if it's going to make much of a difference on a stock/near stock car.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

i thought it was a style thing to go along with there odd over done body kits
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard_81c10
i thought it was a style thing to go along with there odd over done body kits
That's what i thought too. Kinda so they can distiguish between who did a full cat back system and who just slapped on a fart cannon.

The thing with not wanted to add restriction with more bends just doesnt fly with me. That looks like a 4 inch pipe on there with a 2 liter engine! How much exhaust could that baby engine possibly put out?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
That's what i thought too. Kinda so they can distiguish between who did a full cat back system and who just slapped on a fart cannon.

The thing with not wanted to add restriction with more bends just doesnt fly with me. That looks like a 4 inch pipe on there with a 2 liter engine! How much exhaust could that baby engine possibly put out?
That 2 liter engine could produce anywhere from 450-800hp depending on the size of the turbo. By the looks of the exhaust that car is running a turbo engine from the Japanese version. In America that was a 240SX with a 2.3L Naturally Aspirated engine, in Japan the same car is called an S14 or S15 and has a 1.8L to 2.0l Turbo charged engine. It is very popular for kids here to source these Japanese engines and do engine swaps, then upgrade turbochargers.

I used to be in the import scene, I had a 2003 Nissan 350Z that I had a built motor and twin turbos, the car went 10.0@138. I did use an American TH400 Tranny mated to the motor however.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
you talkin to me?

Looks to be around 475 or so
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

2liters is 2 liters no matter how much power it makes. Hp doesnt increase displacement.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:29 AM
you talkin to me?

I could have a 350 making 150 hp and a 2.0 making 400 hp and displacement means nothing at that point.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
That looks like a 4 inch pipe on there with a 2 liter engine!
It might be a 4 inch tip but the rest of the exhaust pipe is smaller than that. Import mufflers have been doing that for years...
Quote:
The thing with not wanted to add restriction with more bends just doesnt fly with me.
How long has the hot rod V8 crowd been installing bigger, straighter, louder exhausts? It's the same reasoning, regardless of whether it actually benefits their car they still do it.

Quote:
2liters is 2 liters no matter how much power it makes. Hp doesnt increase displacement.
That's where volumetric efficiency comes into play.

By your logic a 500 hp 350 would have the same exhaust flow as a 250 hp 350.... ? More power from an engine of given displacement means more intake and exhaust air flow. Why do you think people buy better intakes, heads, exhausts, etc?

Last edited by Blazin72; 07-23-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

"2liters is 2 liters no matter how much power it makes. Hp doesnt increase displacement."

I know it does not work exactly like this, but if you put 14 pounds of boost, or manifold pressure after an intercooler, on a 2 liter engine, it will inhale air like a 4 liter engine.

If you are using a turbocharger to get the boost, the turbo responds very well to even slight reductions in the back pressure after the exhaust turbine.

Besides the Import 2 liter engine will probably be tuned to run at a higher rpm than the V8 you are comparing it to. It is not uncommon to see three or four valves per cylinder, overhead cams, and variable valve timing on the smaller engines. These also require a more free flowing exhaust.

Having said all that, many import cars have gone to ridiculous sizes on their "Fart Cannon" mulffler tips.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

i do have to say this, no matter how good they get them to run, they will never beat the sound of a v8
Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

They get some of the import engines to the point where they make more power per cubic inch or liter than a V12 Gallardo..lol..My Nissan was a 3.5L V6 engine making estimated 840 HP at the flywheel. Thats 140HP per cylinder...In sane..Turbo engines like as little back pressure as possible, thats why the large fart can exhausts..

They used to say there was no replacement for displacement, except for boost. My engine in my Nissan whn not in boost could be driven around with the A/C on and still get 18-22 MPG on the highway, thats the plus side of a turbo charged engine. The down side, was that eveything ran much hotter, was more expensive,took better fuel and could grenade at any point.

One thing about most import guys, they completely ignore Gearing and tire sizing..And simply think adding more power/boost will make them faster. I figured out fast on my Nissan with a 3.83 final gear, the best combo with my TH400 with a low gear, was a 28" slick..

Here is a few videos of my old set up: Enjoy..

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

By running the fart can at an angle they shift more weight to the rear of the car. That combined with the extreme down force of the 747 wing they have above helps their FWD car pull wheelies.

I see it as more, "there is no replacement for the reliability of displacement." You can get a small displacement engine to put out insane amounts of peak HP, but they live their life on the edge.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

I don't think one is better than the other. I sold my garage queen Turbo S2000, and now I own a 66 Impala. Different cars, different power, but both fun cars.

Here is a buddy of mine (local to CO) that has a 700+ RWHP 2.0 bone stock 12.5:1 compression S2000.

http://youtu.be/dXSkefh8bQA

3rd gear brake boost...

http://youtu.be/_l-pxkwty_4
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Hey, even the import guys know a good V8 swap helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9AH...eature=related

Q45 V8 and a 5 speed. Not bad.

Not as easy as an LS into one, but what the hey, she sounds good.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.